•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TAL 65 from 1994

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#76 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:29 AM

Super cool looking scopes. I have a soft spot for small telescopes anyway. Maybe I will need one of those. They look a bit like something Russian cosmonauts would carry in a Soyuz spaceship to the Moon, if their Moon flight programme would have worked out. :) Thomas

• Augustus and Ben Bajorek like this

#77 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:51 AM

I wonder what the story is behind the sudden appearance on the market of a bunch of unused / unopened 25 year old Russian telescopes?

I hinted to the seller that I was curious but he never told me where they came from other than they were New Old Stock.  I got the impression that he is some kind of broker or overstock reseller.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

#78 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

I'm thinking that Putin is cleaning up Chernobyl and they are making them out of scrap gas pipe... the cool thing is that the light glow radiating from them eliminates the need for a red light... 

• sarastro, Terra Nova and Ben Bajorek like this

#79 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:53 AM

I took the plunge on eBay on one of these bargain little TAL reflectors.  Perfect out of the box, no issue, works great.  Sort of like opening King Tut's tomb after breaking the seals.

IMG_8147%203_zpsoo5bwyju.jpg

IMG_8173_zps7u6wcbdl.jpg

IMG_8174_zps9y2girdw.jpg

IMG_8175_zps0siyfydz.jpg

Darn it, you guys are tempting me! Only 98 bucks plus $26 shipping to me and only one left! confused1.gif

RESIST THE URGE!!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• 5669FFD3-DC42-4058-A3AC-D7C54D823123.jpeg

• memento, bremms and Bomber Bob like this

#80 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Rats...

Just bought another TAL.... wink.gif

Well.... I think it'll be a Christmas gift to my 1.5 year old granddaughter, Luna.... she hasn't grown into this one yet...

wink.gif

You can thank me later Terra!

Attached Thumbnails

• image000004.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Ben Bajorek like this

#81 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:30 PM

Darn it, you guys are tempting me! Only 98 bucks plus $26 shipping to me and only one left! confused1.gif

RESIST THE URGE!!! 

Oh Terra, they are so cute!!!  Performance is good too!

• Terra Nova likes this

#82 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:39 PM

Oh Terra, they are so cute!!!  Performance is good too!

Attached Thumbnails

• D969CFCD-EDD8-4778-8A14-2B980F7127A3.jpeg

• rolo, Jeff Struve and TSSClay like this

#83 Ben Bajorek

Ben Bajorek

Messenger

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:03 PM

Novosibirsk Instrument Making Plant's logo on the lens cap, they are the builder of this little TAL telescope.  

IMG_8187_zpsemzd09c4.jpg

In October 1941, Fine Mechanics Plant No. 69 was moved from St. Petersburg to Novosibirsk in Siberia to escape the German invasion during the Great Patriotic War,  "There Will Be A Plant Here", 1941. painter G.Frolov.

The company's interesting history:  https://rostec.ru/en.../companies/345/

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-18%20at%208.29.3

Tonight's moon through the TAL 65 looked great.

IMG_8188_zpsybgqtxpz.jpg

Edited by Ben Bajorek, 19 September 2018 - 04:18 AM.

• memento, steve t, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#84 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

Well... I got the 1994 version from the seller on EBay... I'll need to contact them to see what their thoughts are.

So, as mentioned by those above, the padding on the wood that 'protects' the scope has deteriorated and left sticky stuff on the scope and on the wood... did anyone find a great way of cleaning it off? The cap to cover the primary is cracked...

Other things I noticed compared to my 80's Alcor... the box is really not the quality or finish. Places where it is splintering a bit, and basically raw wood unlike my 80's where the box has a finished look. The inside of the box isn't built as well either. The wood bracing is rougher, the way the scope fits in is not as accurate... there are less places for the accessories to go and the ones there are a bit hidden. 

I didn't try to put it together yet as I figured I'd clean it up and assemble it as I went...

I guess I can't complain much for the price!

Anyone have similar thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180923_090130_resized_1.jpg
  • 20180923_090142_resized_1.jpg
  • 20180923_090148_resized_1.jpg
  • 20180923_090255_resized_1.jpg
  • 20180923_090841_resized_1.jpg
  • 20180923_092640_resized_1.jpg
  • 20180923_092651_resized.jpg
  • 20180923_092710_resized.jpg
  • 20180923_092716_resized.jpg
  • 20180923_092723_resized.jpg
  • 20180923_092728_resized.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#85 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

That's nasty! Yuk!! :vomit:

• Jeff Struve and Kasmos like this

#86 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

I have one with the decomposed foam, the other came with molded styrofoam box inserts.  One of these days I plan to clean that stuff off of there and repaint that one.  The other one is fine.  

Remember when these ones were made, it was tough times in most Russian factories, I'm sure.  But all-in-all, I'm happy with them, especically at the price, as was noted.  The design reflects the utilitarian, no-nonsense, industrial eastern European philosophy.  It works.  Some of us had some issues with machining consistency but we found fixes.

I've seen "classic" scopes of similar or worse fit-and-finish so won't condemn this one.  

• steve t and Jeff Struve like this

#87 Meplat

Meplat

Lift Off

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:23 PM

I too picked up a Tal Alcor from eBay (SN-137) with the decomposed foam, in the library, with the candlestick ...

I tried every solvent in the house (denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, turpentine, acetone, goof off), and settled on plain old isopropyl alcohol like others.  Several of these solvents removed the paint more than the foam goo.  In the end I am left with some blistered paint spots but no goo.

Like others, I could only get less than a turn on the OTA assembly.  My trick was to buy a brand new triangular file and make many (many) passes on the male threads of the OTA pier to get them into speck.  The male threads were too thick, although the right pitch.  After about 2 hours, it screws right on just like each tripod pier extension.  Much rejoicing.  

Tonight I have raced out to look through gaps in the clouds - it looks like a winner and I can one-hand the whole setup out the sliding glass door.  I'll clean up the box and it will travel with me to local sites, conferences, and whatnot.  Last year, I picked up a Tal-1 for a friend at work.  The Tal's, though quirky, work great and are solid performers.

Take care.

• grendel, steve t, catboat and 2 others like this

#88 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

Yep.... mine didn't screwe together either... I wonder if a machine shop would have a proper tap or die for which ever piece needs work...? 

#89 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

That's too large for a tap or die, at least any I've ever seen.  Some of us got pier sections that wouldn't thread together but I managed it by simply hand-holding a vee tool of the proper angle against the work in the mini-lathe.  Used very slowly, it took dozens of passes, both forward and reverse, but eventually threaded-on fully.

TAL 65 018.jpg

There is also the old ATM pipe-mount trick of slathering the threads with mirror-grinding grit and oil, and turning them tight then loose repeatedly, to gain more thread.  It works but is painfully slow, even on fine threads.  Might take weeks on the TAL pier sections, but being aluminum they should wear faster than cast iron pipe fittings.

• Jeff Struve, Terra Nova, Augustus and 1 other like this

#90 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:01 PM

In October 1941, Fine Mechanics Plant No. 69 was moved from St. Petersburg to Novosibirsk in Siberia to escape the German invasion during the Great Patriotic War,  "There Will Be A Plant Here", 1941. painter G.Frolov.

Let’s see,  hmm.gif  that would be what, four months after they changed sides?! lol.gif

• Jeff Struve likes this

#91 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:24 AM

That's too large for a tap or die, at least any I've ever seen.  Some of us got pier sections that wouldn't thread together but I managed it by simply hand-holding a vee tool of the proper angle against the work in the mini-lathe.  Used very slowly, it took dozens of passes, both forward and reverse, but eventually threaded-on fully.

attachicon.gif TAL 65 018.jpg

There is also the old ATM pipe-mount trick of slathering the threads with mirror-grinding grit and oil, and turning them tight then loose repeatedly, to gain more thread.  It works but is painfully slow, even on fine threads.  Might take weeks on the TAL pier sections, but being aluminum they should wear faster than cast iron pipe fittings.

I don't imagine you hire out do ya?

#92 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

I don't imagine you hire out do ya?

PM me, Jeff.  

• Jeff Struve likes this

#93 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:43 PM

Speaking of small Russian telescopes, check out this webpage about Maksutov School telescopes in the 1940's. Scroll down to see images of these 70mm beauties!

http://www.astronome...act=view&id=204

• tim53, Jeff Struve, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#94 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:43 AM

An update for my 1994 TAL...

So after talking with a TAL expert participating in this thread, and their graciously offering to help correct the issues that I had screwing the mount/tripod together... I finally have it all assembled! 

The scoop is this.... The piece that wouldn't thread together for me was the small pipe piece that was attached to the pivot mechanism on the OTA section....

I found that there was just 1 screw holding that pipe piece on, and by taking that screw out and loosening the adjustment knob, that I could easily persuade that piece to slide off... much cheaper to mail that little pipe than the whole OTA.

Being as cheap as I am, I thought that rather than mail that little pipe, and one of the longer ones for fitting, I would try to find a proper size nut, then mail the little pipe and the nut to further cut down shipping costs.

That night, I had a joint astronomy club meeting... I had my club invite the other local club to our meeting held at a new planetarium that a college had ready, and casually mentioned my project. Well, although we have had nothing but cloudy skies, it must have been in the stars as an attendee mentioned that they were a retired machinist and gun shop owner and asked if he could check out the sections of the mount...

He took them home with him after the meeting, and an hour or so later I received a text from him advising that he had it working!

He put the small pipe in his lathe and found that he had a triangle shaped file that exactly met the pitch of the threads... he just had to take it down a bit.

I made arrangements to meet with him to pick up the refitted part and longer pipe, and as he wouldn't accept payment, we did have a nice couple hour talk over pie and coffee at Village Inn where the delivery was made... the only thing smother than my piece of French Silk pie was the way the parts now fit together!

When I got home, the little pipe slid back over the mechanism on the OTA... and with a little jiggling, the screw lined up and done!

I should mention that the little screw that you take out to remove the little pipe screws into a little fastener that just fits into the groove of the spacer that will be exposed when you slide that little tube off... I wish I took pictures of that. I just mention that so if you move the disassembled unit around, that little piece could get lost.

The pis is the little tube removed from the OTA section, and is the piece that needed to be re-thread.

Thanx to both the CN member and the machinist for helping! Now I have to attack goo removal from the scope, tripod, and box! 

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• TAL Little Pipe.jpg

• Chuck Hards, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#95 AtlasMeh

AtlasMeh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:24 PM

Hey All, I stumbled into this telescope at an estate sale. Mine was made in 94, and seems to have the same issues, bad foam/adhesive residue as well as the threading issue with the short mounting piece. It will screw into the base, bit neither of the two tubes.

I have a queation about the eyepiece. Mine seems to have 3 parts. One collar with no lense, (shorter) one collar with a lens at one end, and one short one that looks like the main eyepiece. The thing is, there doesn't seem to be any light getting through the shortest eyepiece. Is that normal, a filter, something else?

I admittingly know nothing of telescopes, so please excuse my ignorance and lack of details. I will try to add photos this evening.

Thanks in Advance.
  • Jeff Struve likes this

#96 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

I think the eyepiece has some sort of antiquated solar filter screwed onto it... see if it will unscrew...

• AtlasMeh likes this

#97 AtlasMeh

AtlasMeh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:38 PM

I think the eyepiece has some sort of antiquated solar filter screwed onto it... see if it will unscrew...

Yup, you were right.  I'll try to attach a few pics below.  I know nothing of solar filters, should trust that little thing, or not even bother?  It doesn't seem to have any identifying marks on it.

Not sure if this gallery link will work...:

http://imgur.com/gallery/YjOv1nd
  • Jeff Struve likes this

#98 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

You have three magnifications available.  With the eyepiece alone, that is your lowest power.  Insert the eyepiece into the receiver tube with a lens in the bottom, then insert that into the focuser.  This is your "medium" power.  Insert the eyepiece into the empty tube, then that into the one with the lens (a Barlow), then that entire assembly into the focuser.  This is your highest power.  I can't remember if it's covered in the instructions but I'm pretty sure it is.

One of mine was badly out of collimation and had to be adjusted.  The other was dead-on.  You will need to check your optical alignment.

• Jeff Struve and AtlasMeh like this

#99 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:24 PM

After trying to remove that brown foam residue goop without damaging the paint, I realized it was basically impossible.

Ill post the paint mixture to match the color shortly.  I have 5 tries I had mixed before I was happy, but I didn't mark the jar that matched once I was finished.  The test splotches are all drying right now and tomorrow hopefully I will know the one that matches. 

Edited by Steve_M_M, 02 April 2019 - 10:19 PM.

• Chuck Hards and Jeff Struve like this

#100 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:06 PM

Here

Attached Thumbnails

• 9602FEE5-C940-4F1B-BD6B-AAB24EDFDA08.jpeg
  • 6DF6D7FF-5F91-495B-B878-09ED2C96FCB3.jpeg

• Chuck Hards and Jeff Struve like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics