•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TAL 65 from 1994

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 AtlasMeh

AtlasMeh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

This past weekend I was finally able to sit down with a file and work on the threads.  Took me maybe an hour, but now everything is fitting very nicely.  I replaced the worn out foam with some red felt, I like how it turned out.

Got to set it up for the first time last night.  Had a somewhat clear sky but got some great views of the moon.  I'm a city dweller so I'll have to head out of the city if I want to really enjoy some viewing.  

One question though;  I haven't gotten a tool to check to collimation yet.  Looking at the back, it still has a tacky puddy with an emblem stamped into them(forgot to grab a pic) The thing is, I commute on a motorcycle and don't own a car.  I'm wondering if this were in its case and on the motorcycle, would the vibrations and stiffer suspension cause it to fall out of alignment?  Any suggestions on things that could be done with transport it safely?

updated pictures: https://imgur.com/ga...uwEbtdvmJmfpJrI

• Jeff Struve and Terra Nova like this

#102 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Aurora

• Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

This past weekend I was finally able to sit down with a file and work on the threads.  Took me maybe an hour, but now everything is fitting very nicely.  I replaced the worn out foam with some red felt, I like how it turned out.

Got to set it up for the first time last night.  Had a somewhat clear sky but got some great views of the moon.  I'm a city dweller so I'll have to head out of the city if I want to really enjoy some viewing.  

One question though;  I haven't gotten a tool to check to collimation yet.  Looking at the back, it still has a tacky puddy with an emblem stamped into them(forgot to grab a pic) The thing is, I commute on a motorcycle and don't own a car.  I'm wondering if this were in its case and on the motorcycle, would the vibrations and stiffer suspension cause it to fall out of alignment?  Any suggestions on things that could be done with transport it safely?

updated pictures: https://imgur.com/ga...uwEbtdvmJmfpJrI

I don't have an answer for that... but were you able to get the goo off of the scope w/o having to re-paint?

#103 AtlasMeh

AtlasMeh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

I don't have an answer for that... but were you able to get the goo off of the scope w/o having to re-paint?

I had probably the same success others had.  I used a razor blade to get the major chunks off.  Then some acetone helped remove the lighter stuff.  Too much acetone and it rubs off the actual paint, so I learned to be gentle.  Since someone posted the paint color I might do some touch ups in the future.

#104 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

Since someone posted the paint color I might do some touch ups in the future.

I have gotten the following regarding the paint color from 3 folks thus far

It was a perfect match, thank you!

The color matched VERY closely

I thought the color did not match my particular TAL Alcor quite right so I repainted the entire thing.

YMMV

• AtlasMeh likes this

#105 Gianluca9999

Gianluca9999

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Genoa, Italy

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:22 AM

Hi,
I need some advices.
I own a little TAL 65 with no eyepieces and a little Barlow .
What kind of eyepiece I need ? I have many eyepiece of 1.25 and 0.965 but does not work.
Thanks !

#106 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

Hi,
I need some advices.
I own a little TAL 65 with no eyepieces and a little Barlow .
What kind of eyepiece I need ? I have many eyepiece of 1.25 and 0.965 but does not work.
Thanks !

The eyepiece barrel is a proprietary size peculiar to TAL, no-one else makes that size that I have been able to find.   The original eyepiece, extension, and Barlow were a matched system, to give different magnifications when combined.

Il barilotto dell'oculare è di una dimensione proprietaria peculiare di TAL, nessun altro fa quella dimensione che sono stato in grado di trovare. L'oculare originale, l'estensione e Barlow erano un sistema abbinato, per fornire ingrandimenti diversi se combinati.

#107 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

some binocular eyepieces and microscope eyepieces can be made to fit and seem to work well enough. i have just measured and they are 24mm on the dot, anything smaller can be put in a custom adaptor to make it fit. .965 is just over 0.5mm too big, though someone with a lathe could turn one down a bit to fit.

#108 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:57 AM

one microscope standard is 23mm, this doesnt need much packing to pad out to 24mm, a wrap of paper or two around the barrel will make it a good fit.

#109 Gianluca9999

Gianluca9999

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

The eyepiece barrel is a proprietary size peculiar to TAL, no-one else makes that size that I have been able to find.   The original eyepiece, extension, and Barlow were a matched system, to give different magnifications when combined.

Il barilotto dell'oculare è di una dimensione proprietaria peculiare di TAL, nessun altro fa quella dimensione che sono stato in grado di trovare. L'oculare originale, l'estensione e Barlow erano un sistema abbinato, per fornire ingrandimenti diversi se combinati.

Beautiful translation !

Thank you very much !

#110 Gianluca9999

Gianluca9999

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:56 AM

one microscope standard is 23mm, this doesnt need much packing to pad out to 24mm, a wrap of paper or two around the barrel will make it a good fit.

Hi grendel,

thank you for your answer

#111 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:07 PM

Had the TAL out about 2 weeks ago and Jupiter looked better than I remember. Even did a Ronchi test while I had the scope out. Very smooth with a hint of undercorrection ( probably a spherical mirror). The views were a little better than the Sears 6333. a little dimmer , but the complete lack of CA and smooth figure make up the difference.

• Steve_M_M, steve t and SpaceConqueror3 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics