•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2018 ORAS AstroBlast registration is open - August 8 - 13th

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:23 PM

2018 AstroBlast announcement:

Come join The Oil Region Astronomical Society in Western Pennsylvania, and other regional amateur astronomers for the 2018 AstroBlast convention!

The dates for this year's AstroBlast will be from the evening of Wednesday, August 8th, to the morning of Monday, August 13th.

(to take advantage of the Perseid Meteor Shower).

Registration for the event is now open, and attendees can pre-register online, or during the event itself.  We expect to have a full schedule of speakers on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, as well as some of our traditional Astroblast activities, such as a nature walk and swap meet. 

Additionally, this will be the first year that the new ORAS observatory, located at a dark-sky site in southeastern Venango County, PA, will be fully operational with a 30" f/3 Starstructure telescope, a Celestron 14" SCT pier GEM mounted telescope, and a Meade 14"LX200 alt/az tripod mounted telescope, all under a roll-off roof.

For more information about the convention and new observatory, please visit the Oil Region Astronomical Society's website at: http://www.oras.org/

• JNDiller likes this

#2 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

I'm excited. I'll be there Saturday!

#3 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

What a fantastic experience last night! Thanks so much to the staff who volunteered countless hours to get this place up and running. The folks there are so helpful, informed and friendly. I fell in love with their new 30 inch. Here is a list of what we observed with that huge light bucket. It's no surprise we started with Jupiter......then Saturn, M57, M51 (my favorite...incredible spiral arm structure was visible), M13 (breathtaking), Mars (WOW!),  M27, M8, M11, M31, Double Cluster, Veil Nebula, Uranus and Neptune. I ended up leaving at 2:30 am after experincing one of best observing nights of my life. Thanks again to the great people at ORAS. Your contibutions to the greatest hobby in the Universe are astronomical. 

• JNDiller likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics