•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orange county telescope

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 borderline

borderline

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NW Indiana

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:50 PM

Hello all.

I see that orange county telescope has a deal on the evolution 8 with a free revolution R2 camera for 1549. That seems like a good deal, however. I'm looking for input on orange county telescope.

Has anyone purchased a scope from them? Are they reputable?

I can't seem to find any information on regards to customer support, return policy ect.

My next option would be adorama with the eyepiece kit, but I hear that kit is not very useful.

Thanks in advance for any input

Chuck

#2 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

I have purchased not only my Evolution 9.25 (a little over 2 years ago), but a plethora of accessories from eyepieces and star sense, diagonals, AVX mount, etc, etc. I am local to their brick and mortar store and have met the proprietor and his assistant. Very competent and helpful. I recommend this vendor based on my experience. Give him a call, he's friendly and will discuss your needs personally.

#3 atacamastar

atacamastar

Vostok 1

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:20 PM

Chuck,

I purchased the original RI system from Mike Fowler at OC Telescope when they first came out back in 2015.  Mike was very helpful and quite enthusiastic.  I highly recommend him.

Regards,

Tom 

#4 PLeach

PLeach

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Houston

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Mike was extremely helpful to me when I visited his store back in Jan.  He demonstrated the Celestron WiFi module for me before I purchased it from him.  He showed me several other cool things, including the R2, but did not pressure me to buy anything.

I am looking forward to going there in a few weeks during a business trip to Orange County.

Pete

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:03 AM

While I have not ever ordered anything from Mike, I would not hesitate to do so.  I have never heard any disparaging comments about him. 

#6 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, United States of America

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

My opinion is that a free EAA camera is going to be more useful than an eyepiece kit.  I am currently considering the same offer from OC Telescope myself, but might want to save some money on a 4SE or 6SE instead.  I don't like the Celestron eyepiece kit much, and was considering the Meade 4000 one instead, since their eyepiece kit is parfocal, whereas Celestron's is not.

Even if you upgrade later to a DSLR or an astronomy webcam, I think the Revolution Imager could still be useful to have, especially since it is free, since it is a stand-alone EAA system.  You may not always want to drag a laptop out for a webcam, and I don't think a DSLR can do live astronomical integration like the Revolution does.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 18 July 2018 - 12:29 PM.

#7 Brass Hat

Brass Hat

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

I live close to OC Telescopes and have purchased most of my equipment from them. Mike and Kenny provide excellent customer service and expertise. I have owned the rev 1 and rev 2 imagers, they are a nice addition for your scope. As for the eyepiece kit either brand is a good choice for a basic kit. Mike suggested when I bought my first scope to get a celestron 10mm Luminos eyepiece, it was amazing. Now I own all the luminos line. You can trust them, they will not steer you wrong.

#8 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

I'd be leaning toward the 6SE. At native f/10 it will do for Solar System, bright deep space objects and with the f/6.3 FR more extended deep space objects. And the SE6 has more than twice the light gathering area as the 4" Mak.

#9 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

C6 for the win, Nicole!

#10 borderline

borderline

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NW Indiana

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:02 AM

Thank you all for your advice.

I called Mike a few times, and you are right, he is very knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic. He answered all of my questions and some that I didn't even know to ask.  He also made suggestions based on our conversations.

I ordered the Evolution 8 and some accessories based on his recommendations at a price I found very reasonable. Should be here Friday.  I ordered it on a miserable rainy day, so I am hopeful that the sky's will be clear this weekend.

Now on to Studying the various manuals so I have some idea what in for when it arrives.

Chuck

• outofsight and Nicole Sharp like this

#11 jcj380

jcj380

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western 'burbs of Chicago. Bortle 7-8

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:23 PM

Should be here Friday.  I ordered it on a miserable rainy day, so I am hopeful that the sky's will be clear this weekend.

If the new equipment curse holds, you just clouded out NW Indiana and NE Illinois for the weekend.  wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics