•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGE RA help please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Lyman

Jason_Lyman

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:40 PM

Luck smiled upon me today.  Long story short, an incredibly nice person GAVE me a CGE.  I was about to buy it from him but he offered to just give it to me because he could not sort out an issue on the RA motor.

DEC is fine.

The issue:  It sounds as if the RA motor is struggling.  I've tweaked on an AVX before.  I know that if the housing assembly for either motor is too tight, it causes the worm gear to bind and makes the motor strain.  That's very much what this sounds like with the CGE.  I figured out how to loosen the motor and add a couple of shims.  That did not seem to make a difference.

Thoughts on what I could do here?

Since this unit was given to me and I have the money in hand that I was going to use to buy it, I've kicked around the idea of sending it in for a hypertune from Deep Space Products. Thoughts on this?

If anyone here is in the Austin, TX area and knows how to work on these bad boys, I'd love to meet up.  I'll buy pizza, beer, whatever!

Thanks,
Jason

• calypsob likes this

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

Jason,

It certainly could be a slightly out of round spur gear and the worm is binding a bit. It could also be the worm bearings failing. Both are pretty easy to check and replace/adjust. The first is just an adjustment on the worm spacing (you can't do anything about the slightly out of round but you can open the worm to spur gap a bit), this can also be affected by the clutches which need to be tightened down evenly and not too tightly.

The second (replacing the worm bearings) is a common requirement on CGEs. Many of them had the pre load adjusted a bit too tightly at the factory and ended up failing prematurely. When they go they get noisy, rumbly and in some cases can start to bind the gear's motion. The bearings are relatively inexpensive and not too difficult to replace (but it does take a little mechanical ability and a specialized tool - a larger than normal flat bladed screwdriver to do the replacement).

DeepSpaceProducts as you probably know also sells these replacement bearings. Given the money you don't have in the mount (lucky you) I might consider sending the mount to them, especially if you aren't comfortable working with bearings and such. 

When you get the mount back do a Factory Settings reset of the hand controller, setup all the new data, and then treat the mount like a brand new one.

• Jason_Lyman likes this

#3 calypsob

calypsob

Soyuz

• Loc: Roanoke, Virginia

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:39 AM

how does the motor sound when the clutches are not locked with no counter weight or scope? 

Edited by calypsob, 18 July 2018 - 11:39 AM.

• Jason_Lyman likes this

#4 Jason_Lyman

Jason_Lyman

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Mark.  I'm highly considering it.

Wes:  It sounds the same with the clutches unlocked.  I've not even put any load on it.

#5 calypsob

calypsob

Soyuz

• Loc: Roanoke, Virginia

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Mark.  I'm highly considering it.

Wes:  It sounds the same with the clutches unlocked.  I've not even put any load on it.

Id take it apart and see if everything is lubricated properly, then maybe check worm gear tension.  Its very possible that the mesh is not correct.  I doubt it is a bearing issue, but anything is possible. 

• Jason_Lyman likes this

#6 Garry

Garry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belleville, MI

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

Jason,

It would definitely be good idea to have Ed at Deep Space Products install new ceramic worm bearings & totally proof your mount out if you find it too difficult to do yourself as it would be like getting back a mechanicaly new mount.

Now if you happen to be a DIY’er then you can pull the those 2 bolts out that you loosened to adjust worm mesh. I’m in Marks court also about the worm bearings. Now pull the motor/worm block out but leave wires connected. Turn on & test run the motor. You should be able to see/hear if it’s the spur gears causing your issue. Next you need small allen wrench to remove the set screw from the gear on the end of the motor shaft and remove spur gear. Test run motor again as this time it will absolutely have zero load on it. Should probably sound ok. If it sounds bad it could be the gears inside the motor housing are bad, or bad motor brushes. Now the test of the worm bearings is simply try to turn the gear on end of the worm. It should turn smooth & easy, not like what Mark described. If it’s just tight then the retaining ring needs to be loosened a little bit on the opposite end of the worm block. You’ll need to come up with a tool to turn the retaining ring.

F4DA17BE-E108-4583-825C-6C0704ACD899.jpeg

Ground end of Drum Brake adjusting tool.

0E175DA0-29BE-4CD9-AD80-6DC4E81676DA.jpeg

Also check the end of this thread https://www.cloudyni...-to-relube-cge/

Hope you get your mount working properly soon.

Garry

Edited by Garry, 24 July 2018 - 12:16 AM.

#7 infamousnation

infamousnation

Ranger 4

• Loc: Woodstock IL

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:17 AM

Congrats, the cge is a great mount

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics