•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My 50mm Meteorite Sphere Collection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BobaDebt

BobaDebt

Vendor/Distinctive Displays

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Apparently I have been a member here since 2008 but have no post history??????

Anyway, my name is David and I have been collecting 50mm Meteorite Spheres since 2006.

Currently I have 25 spheres that span all of the common classifications and some of the widely known meteorite related material.

I'm always looking for new material and I have worked with other collectors by providing processing services in exchange for material..

I have attached pictures of my current collection.

My knowledge base is rooted in processing meteorites and would be glad to provide info about but I have no experience in the finding or identification so I useless in those aspects of the hobby.

Attached Thumbnails

• Collection 2018 07 A.jpg
  • Collection 2018 07 C.jpg

• John Gauvreau, bluesteel, Ladyhawke and 4 others like this

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

You've got quite a valuable collection, based on these prices:   https://www.ebay.com...=50mm meteorite

#3 gun4hire

gun4hire

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Dakota

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:25 AM

how are those made???

Beyond cool!!

#4 Neptune

Neptune

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

how are those made???

Beyond cool!!

They are made on a sphere making machines.   Probably the same or similar to ones used to make rock spheres.

• Joe1950 likes this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

Wow! Wish I had a big Moon Rock and Mars Rock to send... Looks like it would be fun to Juggle those.  Tom

#6 rsalpine

rsalpine

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

Interesting, I've seen those but it never occurred to me that they're collectibles. Shows you how much the hobby has changed since I've been out of touch.

Finding meteorites can be extremely difficult, but there are ways to make it somewhat easier. I would advise anyone to look at as many meteorites in their natural state as possible, in museums and such, and look at as many as you can find in high definition photos. Color is great, of course, for example if you can find a copy of Bob Haag's Field Guide of Meteorites, but black and white photos are even better because what you're looking for is surface features that don't quite match the surrounding rocks.

The best source material I've found is Nininger's 'A Photographic Study of Surface Features', Part 1 (Shapes) and Part 2 (Orientation). These two books are long out of print and good copies will always be expensive, but they're worth it. The goal is to train your eyes to pick out the subtle differences between ordinary rocks and meteorites, which will make it easier for the best optics ever made (your eyes) to spot them. My worst-case scenario is to see a real one and fail to identify it, leaving it to weather and fall apart because I was the only one to see it for...centuries?

After years of neglect I'm just now cataloguing mine and documenting them for insurance purposes (along with all the telescope equipment and my vintage soda bottle collection), they probably couldn't be replaced but at least with documentation of values I may be able to recover the investment.

The ANSMET (Antarctic Search for Meteorites Program) books are very good source material, don't know where you'd get them now, I got mine on a free offer many years ago. from the publisher (I believe). Meteorite! Magazine is a good series from the Arkansas Center for Space and Planetary Sciences, University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.

Looks like you have a good start on a great collection, keep adding to it and it will be a treasure you'll never get tired of. After all, how many people can truthfully say that they have material that didn't come from Earth?

#7 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:46 PM

Wow! I've never seen anything like that. Fantastic!

#8 Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis, Mo. USA

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

Very cool indeed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics