•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C6-R Mars 7-21-2018 12:45Am

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

Hello everyone!

Getting ready for Mars opposition I got this photo last night of Mars. 

Telescope Celestron C6-R, Celestron CG-4 EQ Mount, Camera Quickcam Pro 4000, Celestron 2X Barlow

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars 7-21-2018.jpg

• Sunspot, JMP, eros312 and 3 others like this

#2 SpectralMike

SpectralMike

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 29 N 95 W

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

Awsome pic speed ! Reminds me almost exactly what I was seeing last night through the eyepiece.But for me to see the darker area your picture shows with my eye, I had to stack a red and blue filter together and even then it was still hard to see. Your image confirms to me that I was seeing the details that I thought I was seeing. Keep up the good work. Clear skies!

• RNSpeed likes this

#3 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

It appears that you are not using an IR-blocking filter as there are near-IR features in all 3 color channels. That causes a huge problem in color balance with Mars, although it's less of a problem with Jupiter and Saturn. The Bayer color matrix of the sensor allows near-IR leaks beyond about 700nm, and an IR-blocking filter cut-off point starts at about 700nm and the blocking feature extends deeper into the IR, thus eliminating the issue.

• RNSpeed likes this

#4 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

It appears that you are not using an IR-blocking filter as there are near-IR features in all 3 color channels. That causes a huge problem in color balance with Mars, although it's less of a problem with Jupiter and Saturn. The Bayer color matrix of the sensor allows near-IR leaks beyond about 700nm, and an IR-blocking filter cut-off point starts at about 700nm and the blocking feature extends deeper into the IR, thus eliminating the issue.

Great analysis, thanks for sharing. Yes indeed I'm not using an IR Filter blush.gif  I have had this camera for more than 10 years now and one of the first things I did when I first bought it was to remove the IR filter.  I think is time to upgrade but I'm still liking the Quickcam Pro 4000 results.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics