•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Update on my SW ED150 order...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
897 replies to this topic

#501 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

Time for a new thread about your APM ED152?

Yep, I'll start one as soon as I get the APM at home, so maybe on Friday :)

#502 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

A Yugo was a fine car for the money back in the day, but ....

#503 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

A Yugo was a fine car for the money back in the day, but ....

a Yugo was NEVER a fine car... 

https://www.washingt...m=.749aa320c47f

#504 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

COME ON, MODS! YOU ALL ASLEEP OR WHAT???

#505 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

But no additional words from Jim-san yet.  bow.gif

#506 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

COME ON, MODS! YOU ALL ASLEEP OR WHAT???

grumpy are we notsmirk.gif

#507 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

Dear Sky-Watcher Reps:  

Is there any news regarding the steps being taken to insure that the Evostar 150's are delivered to the buyers in the proper condition?

Thank you!

Heywood

#508 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

Dear Sky-Watcher Reps:  

Is there any news regarding the steps being taken to insure that the Evostar 150's are delivered to the buyers in the proper condition?

Thank you!

Heywood

i hope they got some foam board to line the outside with. 

https://www.homedepo...87264/100549260

#509 starzonesteve

starzonesteve

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

grumpy are we notsmirk.gif

Good thing he's not a modwink.gif

#510 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

I think Daniel said that SW is working on redesigning the packing materials and packing method to resolve the issues that have been seen.

It's funny how the scope we have been using arrived in perfectly pristine condition including the case. The case while fairly described as a light-duty case it is perfectly capable of being used for transportation as Daniel has been using it for.

We really saw no centering issues when defocused at high magnification which may be why our observation experience was so excellent. Maybe WHT is nicer to their UPS guys.

Chip

#511 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

Perhaps they were concerned that it might not do 100x/inch.

I bet it can if it can stay in center and colllimated.  I think this could be another Meade 7" ED nitemare all over again if peeps are getting these out of center. Maybe shipping is knocking them out of center or collimation?  I guess we will know more over the months with more owners.

#512 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

I just got off the phone with Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earhart and they confirmed that's indeed the case.

I think it is better i wait for a few months and see how this story unfolds.  I still say this scope will be a hit if they can keep the optics in center and collimation after shipping.

#513 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

Dear Sky-Watcher Reps:  

Thank you!

Heywood

Something is being done to help out.  I guess we will know soon.

#514 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

WOOO HOO!! Tolga has my 152 smile.gif Looks well wrapped and boxed.

Awesome. Hope the scope is all you hope it will be.

#515 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:57 PM

Guys, I know there's some questions. Hang in there and I'll try to clear up some waves to help. 

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 09 August 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#516 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

I think Daniel said that SW is working on redesigning the packing materials and packing method to resolve the issues that have been seen.

It's funny how the scope we have been using arrived in perfectly pristine condition including the case. The case while fairly described as a light-duty case it is perfectly capable of being used for transportation as Daniel has been using it for.

We really saw no centering issues when defocused at high magnification which may be why our observation experience was so excellent. Maybe WHT is nicer to their UPS guys.

Chip

The thing is Chip, if decentering leads to coma, I find it very difficult to see moderate amounts of it (~1/5 wave or less) in the out of focus rings, even close to focus, but I can readily see it at focus.

#517 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

a Yugo was NEVER a fine car... 

https://www.washingt...m=.749aa320c47f

Hey, I drive a Yugo shocked.gif

Edited by Jon_Doh, 10 August 2018 - 10:33 AM.

#518 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

There is an issue here that is dear to people who choose refractors for their convenience.

Refractors are chosen because they are meant to be hassle free. No re-silvering, no mirror collimation, sometimes we want more aperture but the adjustment free aspects of a refractor OTA are compensation for that.

Therefore to read about any refractor with lens collimation issues, and therefore shooting in the foot a big reason for buying one as opposed to a reflector, is a major turn-off, think again point.

The 150s in this thread are being discussed and evaluated by experts. But to somebody thinking of a big frac over a medium cat or (say) 10 inch Dob, for the usual traditional simplicity, the 150 would be lower on their horizon than might have been if all had been hunky dory.

#519 emilslomi

emilslomi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

There is an issue here that is dear to people who choose refractors for their convenience.

Refractors are chosen because they are meant to be hassle free. No re-silvering, no mirror collimation, sometimes we want more aperture but the adjustment free aspects of a refractor OTA are compensation for that.

Therefore to read about any refractor with lens collimation issues, and therefore shooting in the foot a big reason for buying one as opposed to a reflector, is a major turn-off, think again point.

The 150s in this thread are being discussed and evaluated by experts. But to somebody thinking of a big frac over a medium cat or (say) 10 inch Dob, for the usual traditional simplicity, the 150 would be lower on their horizon than might have been if all had been hunky dory.

APM had the same type of issues when they released the 152. They are still plagued by the fact that some people haven't noticed yet that the problem has been solved a long time ago. This is a new release, and I hope that SW will handle the issues as well as APM did. Alas, they probably won't be forgotten any sooner.

Cheers, Emil

#520 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

Hey, I drive a Yugo shocked.gif

You must have the only Yugo still running on the planet. 

Chip

#521 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

APM had the same type of issues when they released the 152. They are still plagued by the fact that some people haven't noticed yet that the problem has been solved a long time ago. This is a new release, and I hope that SW will handle the issues as well as APM did. Alas, they probably won't be forgotten any sooner.

Cheers, Emil

How did APM resolve the issue for the people who bought a bad one from the used market?

Chip

#522 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter
  • Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hello amigos.

I am in focuser "negotiations".  grin.gif

Though I did not buy here in the US, Kevin has offered a replacement focuser here in the US when he gets a shipment in.  I've insisted that I should pay for it if he provides a focuser - it's not SW US's problem.  We'll see what he says.

On the TS front, they have offered me a 3" sharpstar focuser (TS branded) with a custom made TS adpater at a discount, and are working with Skywatcher Europe to see about replacing my damaged focuser with a Skywatcher unit.  Though they have also asked for pictures of the damage.  Hard to take as the damage is internal due to an impact of the fine focus knob on the focuser against the lid of the case with enough force to crack he thin plywood and tear the aluminum skin on the case above the focuser position inside.

Key for me is I WANT A WORKING FOCUSER ASAP so I can use the bloody new scope for the bloody purpose I bought it for!  The adapter is a 3-5 week affair, so the TS offer while nice is not immediate.  I don't know when Kevin will get spare focusers in stock in the US.  I don't know if Skywtacher Europe already has spares in stock.  All I know is that my focuser was Borked in shipment making the scope unsuitable for higher magnification use.  4.gif

I'm half tempted to buy a used Evostar swap the focusers and resell it with full disclosure.  That might be the fastest path to resolution while the dealer and distributor hash it out. 

Also does anyone know of any Skywtacher Crayford focuser disassembly pictures online?  Pollux Chung did a great series on disassembly of the GSO Crayford many years ago.  I am tempted to pull mine and tinker inside (though I suspect my problem is damaged/divoted bearing races - click, click, click).  It would be nice to know in advance what I'll be looking at if I do.

- Jim 

Edited by jrbarnett, 10 August 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#523 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

I'm wondering if the tube has the same spaced holes as the Celestron C6R for their standard R&P focuser...if it's the same size tube & mounting holes then a Moonlite adapter and focuser would fit probably...or slap a R&P or Crayford focuser like a GSO that has the adapter for the C6R for a temporary solution while waiting for a better focuser???

Edited by Crow Haven, 10 August 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#524 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

I'm wondering if the tube has the same spaced holes as the Celestron C6R for their standard R&P focuser...if it's the same size tube & mounting holes then a Moonlite adapter and focuser would fit probably...or slap a R&P or Crayford focuser like a GSO that has the adapter for the C6R for a temporary solution while waiting for a better focuser???

Thanks Maya.

Yep, I've been looking at pics of "donor candidates".  grin.gif

However this one looks to be a bit different.  On many it looks like three screws attach the white part of the focuser to an adapter.  Here though it looks like the white part of the focuser either threads into or is glued into the adapter, and the adapter, in turn, is held into the OTA tail plate with three grub screws.  It may be trickier to do a swap as a result.

On the subject of self-help, I have located disassebly and tuning instructions for this focuser, here...

https://teleskop-aus...ord_focuser.pdf

It looks very simple and straight forward, actually.  I plan on filing my draw tube roller contact track flat and working on the internals and adjustments of the focuser on Saturday morning.  I am hoping that I can smooth it out in other respects to offset the damage to the reducing gear assembly caused by the impact with the lid.  Heck, if I could get a second "left side" single speed knob I would replace the reducing gear entirely.  I don't need no stinkin' fine focus on an f/8.  grin.gif

- Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• post-15428-0-42869800-1533410244.jpg

Edited by jrbarnett, 10 August 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#525 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

On the other hand, there's a reason many refractors come with easily accessible collimation systems.  Any and all designs can be misaligned, refractors included.  While they do tend to be more robust in this regard than most other designs, buying a refractor and expecting to never need to service it, including adjusting optical alignment, isn't reasonable.  Besides, as often as not, issues happen at the rear rather than the front.  Focusers of all scopes tend to need TLC every now and again.

The reason you buy (or at least I buy) large refractors is contrast, not simplicity.  No other design damages contrast so little.  It allows refarctors to punch above their aperture when it comes to fishing out fine low contrast details.  Big obstructed scopes use brute force - contrast transfer - to do what smaller refarctors do natviely - not mess up the image by scattering a bunch of light/displacing a bunch of energy in the first place.

Best,

Jim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics