•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Update on my SW ED150 order...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
897 replies to this topic

#876 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

Ha, I don't really know how bad mine are compared to others... I don't want any surgery until they're so bad that I can't ever get a good look at planets below a 1mm exit pupil. I like to push magnification when I can. I thought you couldn't get rid of floaters though...

I agree with Jay on this. I've had elective surgery twice. Once was for cleaning out my TMB jaw joint. It was a simple procedure and I was supposed to go home afterwards. When I woke up, a machine was breathing for me. The doctor explained that they had issues during the procedure. This was an almost zero risk cleaning out of the joint with saline solution ... that's it. I was in the hospital for a couple of days. The day I was to leave, it was discovered I had developed a blood clot. The nurse told me to walk very slowly back to bed and not to move much. If the clot dislodged, it could take out a lung, or worse yet, get into my brain. I was in the hospital another two weeks.

I will never undergo elective surgery unless it is of critical importance. Sorry for the off topic.

#877 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

Got a zero 50-59. Pleased :)

#878 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

Now this is one nifty test! I have a self-calibrated IPS display (using an X-Rite i1Display Pro because I'm a perfectionist or something) and managed to pull a score of 0 (age 20-29) out of my hat... I was honestly surprised. I take pride in my eyesight (which I can tell is very slowly declining, makes me sad) but wow. Thank you for sharing that! I had to "reset" my eyes many times by looking away at something and then looking back. My eyes were starting to get lazy and see the pink hues as the same hue.

Before I submitted the below test I noticed a slight hue difference in the bottom row, right at the left, and adjusted the second square to the right by one square. Honestly, I think these hues aren't in perfect order, but the test thinks I'm close enough to call it perfect. It literally said "you have perfect vision!" Yeah right....... maybe just get those floaters outta my eyes and I'll be set!

b74Knlt.png

To me it appears that the 4th one from the left on the bottom should be the third one from the left?

#879 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:02 PM

To me it appears that the 4th one from the left on the bottom should be the third one from the left?

I don't think so.. 3rd from left should be 1st from left, 1st from left should be 2nd from left, 2nd from left should be 3rd from left... but there are other discrepancies in the bottom row pink hues too, minor misplacements though.

#880 JayS_CT

JayS_CT

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

I agree with Jay on this. I've had elective surgery twice. Once was for cleaning out my TMB jaw joint. It was a simple procedure and I was supposed to go home afterwards. When I woke up, a machine was breathing for me. The doctor explained that they had issues during the procedure. This was an almost zero risk cleaning out of the joint with saline solution ... that's it. I was in the hospital for a couple of days. The day I was to leave, it was discovered I had developed a blood clot. The nurse told me to walk very slowly back to bed and not to move much. If the clot dislodged, it could take out a lung, or worse yet, get into my brain. I was in the hospital another two weeks.

I will never undergo elective surgery unless it is of critical importance. Sorry for the off topic.

Dave,

In no way was I trying to advocate for elective surgery and sorry to hear about the complications of yours.. Yes, every surgery has risks, but certain things with our eyes (and other organs) can be indictors of something else.  What I WAS advocating was getting it checked. The "everyone has floaters" is true to a point, but it also could be coming from other conditions.  Sorry for jumping off topic as well.

#881 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

I don't think so.. 3rd from left should be 1st from left, 1st from left should be 2nd from left, 2nd from left should be 3rd from left... but there are other discrepancies in the bottom row pink hues too, minor misplacements though.

Are you counting from the leftmost one or from the first one after the space?  I'm counting from the leftmost one.

#882 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:17 PM

Are you counting from the leftmost one or from the first one after the space?  I'm counting from the leftmost one.

From the space, so 1st from the left means the 1st block in that row (that you can move, not the reference blocks).  Sorry to derail!!

Edited by jay.i, 29 August 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#883 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:25 PM

From the space, so 1st from the left means the 1st block in that row (that you can move, not the reference blocks).  Sorry to derail!!

You didn't derail.  I now agree with you, almost.  I think the 2nd and third from the left should switch positions.

#884 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

A good standaridized test, with a norm of posting results in your signature would be a boon around here.

All of those "my refractor shows no color at all" posts can be weighted by eye exam data.

#885 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:50 PM

Well, this of course only works with an alt-az mount that allows for two scopes, but it works. For the 140 I need two weights to have the tube divided 60 lens 40 focuser. If does make things more comfy.

Cheers, Emil

That's the way I do my 140ED on an AZ-8.

#886 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

2nd & 3rd from left should be reversed. Otherwise OK.

#887 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

Got a zero 50-59. Pleased smile.gif

Ditto

#888 Bennevis

Bennevis

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:10 AM

Lets hope that all dealers check the collimation of the ED150's before they ship.

Drop shipping will simply not be good enough for this one.

What about after it arrives? Dealer has to offer arrival in collimation guarantee surely.

#889 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:13 AM

Sigh... It's been so long since Jim last posted and everybody is still discussing the packing and collimation of this scope, something that apparently is being addressed by SkyWatcher.

Any chance we can give this a rest and give some time to SkyWatcher to do whatever it is that they will do, see some more scopes out there and get more feedback by Jim and other owners and then pass judgement?  

#890 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

funnypost.gif

#891 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

I am tired of reading about it now.  Nothing much to left to say until they start selling and we get more reports.

#892 City Kid

City Kid

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

Sigh... It's been so long since Jim last posted and everybody is still discussing the packing and collimation of this scope, something that apparently is being addressed by SkyWatcher.

Any chance we can give this a rest and give some time to SkyWatcher to do whatever it is that they will do, see some more scopes out there and get more feedback by Jim and other owners and then pass judgement?  

Jim got a scope? I had forgotten grin.gif

#893 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:58 PM

Who is Jim and what is he doing with a damaged SW?

grin.gif

#894 Niklo

Niklo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bavaria

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:20 AM

Ditto for the SW150:

- Glass types?  I don't care.

- Chinese Maker / Lens Company?   I don't care.

- Lack of colorful & number-packed test report?   I care, but not enough to not buy one at the right price.

I care about The Views.  And now that I have another 6" F8 ED, I'd care about how the views compare.

Hi Bob,

do you have two different 6" f/8 EDs? In your telescope list I see only the APM ED 152 F8 APO? Do you have the SW 6" f/8 ED, too?

How do they compare?

Clear skies,

Roland

#895 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:40 AM

Roland, I haven't bought the SW150 - yet.  I've offered to test a 150 against my APM152 if SW will send me one; but so far, they haven't taken me up on my offer...

#896 Niklo

Niklo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bavaria

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:23 AM

Roland, I haven't bought the SW150 - yet.  I've offered to test a 150 against my APM152 if SW will send me one; but so far, they haven't taken me up on my offer...

Ah, thank you. By the way, have you compared your APM152 with your Tinsley Saturn 6" F20 Cassegrai and your 6" f/8 Newton (Criterion RV-6 Dynascope)?

Clear skies,

Roland

#897 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

I have -- though only once with the Tinsley.  I need to update that thread...

#898 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

Jim - let me (or any refractor moderator) know when you have an update and I'll unlock this to resume discussion on the original topic.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics