•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars 23/7/2018, some more craters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HentySky

HentySky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:37 AM

Hi Folks,

I had some steady seeing 2 nights ago between the rain storms and managed to get a few shots off.  Some of the best seeing around here comes from the gaps between the rain clouds.

After some discussion in my last post, in this post I have included LRGB and RGB images.  Please note for the LRGB images the L channel comes from a luminance filter and not derived from a red or IR filter.  I have not included a shot from a IR filter, basically because I do not have one.

All images were taken through a C14 using a ASI290MM.  The SER durations are 2 minutes for L, 90 seconds for each of the 3 colours.  All channels were derotated in Winjupos.

For the CM334 image a number of craters can be made out around the Hellas basin including Schaeberle and Huygens.  A number of others can be seen which I can't positively identify.

In the CM4 image you can spot the 4 craters in row near the Argyre basin, these being Galle, Wirtz, Helmholtz and Lohse.  Darryl also caught these in his last post.  It is possible the settling dust may be making the craters more visible than normal.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Brett

Attached Thumbnails

• 2018-07-23-1543_3.jpg
  • 2018-07-23-1744_6.jpg

• Pete Gorczynski, eros312, deepwoods1 and 14 others like this

#2 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:40 AM

Great detail and nice colour balance in the LRGB particularly.

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southwest Texas, USA

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:44 AM

Wow!

For your luminance capture, did you use a monochromatic camera across the full spectrum? I had some success at using the red channel as a luminance enhancer, but it blew out my polar ice caps.

BQ

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:45 AM

Excellent images again Brett..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gifwaytogo.gif 

We were out in terrible conditions last night capturing a similar vista...just got home an hour or so ago & are really exhausted due to what we put up with - we're really certified I'm sure! lol.gif 

The lighter dust settling in these craters, particularly "rimmed" by darker material, is an integral aspect to them showing up now for sure, these contrast variations making them much more obvious than if we were seeing their (former) darker  floors. smile.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 25 July 2018 - 01:45 AM.

#5 HentySky

HentySky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the comments folks.

BQ, I used a ASI290MM camera and a luminance filter across the visible spectrum.  Not sure how the camera performs across the full visible spectrum would need to check the graph.

Darryl, my wife thinks I'm certified, I sit out in the freezing cold waiting for a gap in the clouds.

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southwest Texas, USA

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:51 AM

BQ, I used a ASI290MM camera and a luminance filter across the visible spectrum.  Not sure how the camera performs across the full visible spectrum would need to check the graph.

Thanks, Brent. This was actually exceedingly helpful—I now understand where I went wrong on the poles on my processing from the 22nd.

Cheers,

BQ

#7 Andrew Masur

Andrew Masur

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Markham, Ontario

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

Fantastic natural look to these with loads and loads of detail. This is the kind of image I dream about taking one day.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics