•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Big Scope Anyone Can Build & Use

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

In your article you mention a book about building truss scopes saying:

"I suspect that one of the most read guides on building truss Dobs (which was co-written by a major vendor, after all)". 

I am wondering which book you are referring to?

The Dobsonian Telescope.

#27 fiston

fiston

Lift Off

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

What a nicely written article, thanks!

• Augustus likes this

#28 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

That article makes me want a 16" mirror now. But I know I can't move it and don't want the ladder. I would need it to be a Danny style truss and f3.5 or so. Maybe I will some day. It need not be diffraction limited. It just needs to be smoothed of pits and cracks. 200x is all I need.

Edited by stargazer193857, 18 August 2018 - 11:16 AM.

#29 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:34 PM

I truly enjoyed your very interesting article, building a 16 inch telescope. You remind me of John Dobson--building quality reflectors with inexpensive materials, coming in with minimal cost. You have a passion for astronomy and it shows through in your writing about this project. You are a fine young man. People like you give me hope for our country.  

• wky46 and Augustus like this

#30 tncreame

tncreame

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Congrats on your award at Stellafane this year!

• Augustus likes this

#31 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

That article makes me want a 16" mirror now. But I know I can't move it and don't want the ladder. I would need it to be a Danny style truss and f3.5 or so. Maybe I will some day. It need not be diffraction limited. It just needs to be smoothed of pits and cracks. 200x is all I need.

If it's not even diffraction-limited, you're not just losing resolution. You're outright losing aperture.

I truly enjoyed your very interesting article, building a 16 inch telescope. You remind me of John Dobson--building quality reflectors with inexpensive materials, coming in with minimal cost. You have a passion for astronomy and it shows through in your writing about this project. You are a fine young man. People like you give me hope for our country.  

Thanks!

#32 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:30 PM

Congratulations, Zane! Your Dobsonian build overview will undoubtedly help and inspire many budding and seasoned ATM'ers alike.

Thanks for keeping this wonderful pastime alive! Great job, young man!

Thanks again! ...and Clear Skies, Forever!

Mel

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics