•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Campbell's Hydrogen Star

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

American astronomer William Wallace Campbell spotted this unusual star-like object through a visual spectroscope at Lick Observatory in 1893. He could tell immediately from its spectrum that, despite its stellar appearance, he was not seeing an ordinary star at all. Instead, he had spotted an uncharted planetary nebula.

Click here to view the article
  • Dave Mitsky, Sasa and havasman like this

#2 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:59 PM

Nice topic!

I was unsuccessful the first few times I tried to find it. Too many stars. Over the years I made it my mission to locate Campbell’s as well as nearby Minkowski 1-92.

I agree with your sketch. I can find it with a 4” at low power. At high power in my 18” it’s a thin orange concentric ring close to the central star. Definitely a tiny disk compared to other field stars.

Campbell’s is incredibly bright in Hydrogen-Alpha. To me it has the highest surface brightness of any H-a emitting object.
  • PhilH and Sasa like this

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

I very recently observed both Campbell's Hydrogen Star and Minkowski 1-92 with my 63mm Zeiss Telemator. I've observed them both before, both in the Telemator and much larger instruments. 

https://www.cloudyni...ebulae-part-ii/

Of these two, Minkowski 1-92 is by far the easier to see in a small scope, but in a larger one (with excellent optics) CHS is more impressive. In a C8 at 800x, it's a lovely, pale orange disk. A very unusual color for a planetary nebula.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• PhilH and Sasa like this

#4 Sasa

Sasa

Vanguard

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:14 AM

I observed the nebula 3 years ago in 82mm refractor. At around 300x, it started being non-stellar. At 630x, I was able to observe the hints of the ring and some brightenings.
  • PhilH and Astrojensen like this

#5 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

I have seen this PN with my 8" dob and 4" refractor. Needs high power and good seeing.

An alternate name is BD+30 3639, this is what it was referred to as in Walter Scott Houston's

S&T column Deep Sky Wonders when he wrote about it.

This designation was from the Bonner Durchmusterung, the first modern star catalog, compiled

in the second half of the 19th century.

Edited by EJN, 04 August 2018 - 03:20 PM.

• PhilH and Astrojensen like this

#6 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

The bright red color is amazingly apparent, it makes this planetary nebula stick out like a sore thumb.

Taras

• PhilH likes this

#7 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:39 PM

I was at Stellafane this year and got skunked on this one. I'll have to give it a try when the weather clears. I really enjoyed the Bino list.

• PhilH likes this

#8 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:05 AM

I was at Stellafane this year and got skunked on this one. I'll have to give it a try when the weather clears. I really enjoyed the Bino list.

Thanks.  Glad you liked the list, but sorry you missed this little guy.  Probably the toughest on the list!  Did you manage to catch all of the others?  Just curious, what size binoculars were you using?

#9 bmurphy495

bmurphy495

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:46 AM

Thanks.  Glad you liked the list, but sorry you missed this little guy.  Probably the toughest on the list!  Did you manage to catch all of the others?  Just curious, what size binoculars were you using?

I was using 10x70 Celestron Echelons. I can't find the sheet because I wanted to keep it, so I put it in a place I'll discover in six years, but I think the ones I had trouble with were: 

13. Campbell's Hydrogen Star

18. Barnard 168

19. IC 5146 Cocoon Nebula

20. Stock 2   Muscleman Cluster. Probably saw, since I looked at the double cluster it but didn't recognize it. 

I was just not familiar enough with those objects. I'm going to try finding #13 at the Acadia Night Sky Festival in two weeks. 

B

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics