•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
532 replies to this topic

#251 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

Vintage Zeiss.

Seller is a camera store and doesn't even give it's size or a good description! ohmy.gif

https://www.ebay.com...iwAAOSwZZdbbdk3

That is a 62mm Zeiss traveler.  A very desirable scope.

#252 jcricket

jcricket

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, $300 I think Is a very good deal for that scope. I am local too.

Hmm. I still have a little room in my garage.

The seller did reply to my email and also told me it is for sale for $300. 

I have a cave 8" f4.5 in the works for restoration, and I am saving some funds for a telekit I have ordered. So I am going to pass for now.

#253 jcricket

jcricket

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

jcricket, seller also mentioned he had an MA 25mm ep to go with it, nothing fancy but period correct for the scope and worth hanging onto.

here's a meade 826 with mount also in the denver area, i'm guessing based on pics and seller's extensive knowledge of the scope that this is from cloudynight user apfever's collection:

https://denver.craig...6668698513.html

yep, it is apfever's ad. We spoke on the phone last night about them. 

#254 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

Rusty 8v

https://www.ebay.com...RS2&_oac=1#shId

#255 Nick Will

Nick Will

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wildwood Florida

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

Priced ok if complete. Sadly..it’s not.

I asked the seller what all was included. They responded within a minute that only what is in the photos is included. 

So no box, porro prism or other eyepieces. 

It looks to be in outstanding condition and includes the 40mm kellner. The finder is a nice addition. 

Vintage Zeiss.

Seller is a camera store and doesn't even give it's size or a good description! ohmy.gif

https://www.ebay.com...iwAAOSwZZdbbdk3

#256 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

jcricket, seller also mentioned he had an MA 25mm ep to go with it, nothing fancy but period correct for the scope and worth hanging onto.

here's a meade 826 with mount also in the denver area, i'm guessing based on pics and seller's extensive knowledge of the scope that this is from cloudynight user apfever's collection:

https://denver.craig...6668698513.html

Yes, it's mine.  I'm passive on this. It is primarily a counter ad due to the Meade 8" Starfinder that is still listed for $2,000. I'm not one for patrolling other ads except in an extreme case that might seriously take an unknowing buyer to the cleaners and then some.  A $2k 8" Meade classifies. The seller of the Starfinder seems to claim a cheaper price when responding to emails or phone inquiries, but the ad doesn't change so my ad remains. 

My ad was a rush job. I'll redo it when I have time to set it all up for more appropriate pictures, and offer the whole thing with Both mounts as an option. 

#257 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Incredible refractor deal! $500k

https://www.ebay.com...00&rt=nc&_oac=1

Edited by rolo, 12 August 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#258 apfever

apfever

Aurora

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

Must have been a glitch or hack.  The seller has been on EB for 17 years and has 100% positive feedback for hundreds of ratings which is exceptional, last feedback in the last week. 

I think it more appropriate to note this sort of standing instead of just posting a sarcastic listing even if no one would take the deal as serious.

#259 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:10 PM

Way too high a profile for the focuser. 

#260 jfinkler

jfinkler

Vostok 1

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:22 PM

seller of the 8" starfinder in denver already updated his ad to reflect an asking price of $300

#261 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:34 PM

are these tascos a bird jones desgin with the barlow in the focuser accounting for the tall focuser.

Edited by starman876, 12 August 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#262 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

Yes

#263 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Looks like a Newt and i don't see rust.

#264 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

Hi folks, let me clear up some confusion!

I clicked on the $500k eBay incredible refractor scope Rolo put a link to.

eBay has a new thing they are doing. The item Rolo put a link to is "no longer available" as noted in some tiny print in the blue bar above the listing information. Instead, eBay has redirected you to a different, similar* listing.

So..., some of the posters above may have seen the original listing, and some only say the listing eBay has redirected you to.

It is maddening, but eBay is in it to sell items. eBay keeps finding new ways to put a listing in front of eyeballs.

Here is a link, direct, to the redirected item, a Carton 10" f/8  reflector, maybe, keep reading, on an EQ-1 (or similar mount) mount for a reasonable price. Plus shipping. Plus made an offer.

The text in the listing states:  "This is a hobby-built telescope made from mostly purchased components."  So I do not know if it is a full Carton scope or if it have a mirror from another company, etc:

https://www.ebay.com...id=202400042628

Carton telescopes of all types are uncommon, and Carton reflector are even uncommon.

I have also noticed that eBay is starting to redirect me if I click on a link to a listing that is over, either an expired auction or a sold item. This going to take some adjusting to for us extreme hobbiests, who live and breath keeping track of what sold for what price.

I might just move to Essex and raise bees.

*...eBay has redirected you to a different, "similar" listing.

Comment: eBay tried to emulate Amazon who started this similar item, and "Best [equals barely] Match stuff. It kinda works on Amazon, where they started with books and everything has a  Universal Price Code thing. But eBay is proof trying to find a similar match for some obscure vintage ACME Hargreaves strut is more likely to send you to some roadrunner cartoons that some telescopy thing. Or some children's books.

Edited by Littlegreenman, 12 August 2018 - 06:30 PM.

#265 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:45 PM

Thank you for your helpful post and your insight

Yes   it is maddening. And it just started happening and I am annoyed as you are. . And it is not just telescopes...Vintage guitars as well and probably everything else old ,classic, vintage,collectable etc

What can be disconcerting is  not just curiousity repressed, but research on market values.  You look at one item...maybe it ends and you did not bid or you bid but did not win, but maybe it ends abruptly and now you are redirected. It is a mere ancillary benefit if the redirected item actually holds ones interest       Finally, at least from me, we look to see what the market bears so we can sell things in a good faith fair range and this is discouraging such a good faith fair practice

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 12 August 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#266 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

I love it.  Certainly keeps the feeble minded among us guessinglol.gif

#267 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

An extension of the worst feature "Best Match" aka "we don't have a clue". eBay has has the worst product management since day one, and they are innovating on that tradition til no one goes there.

Oh, and BTW, please note in the blue bar is a link tor the original listing, intentionally vague.

#268 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

https://www.cloudyni...e-unitron-60mm/

PS   

Congrats to Augustus at Stellafane

Stellafane 2018 1st & 3rd place Junior awards

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 12 August 2018 - 07:36 PM.

#269 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Thank you for your helpful post and your insight

Yes   it is maddening. And it just started happening and I am annoyed as you are. . And it is not just telescopes...Vintage guitars as well and probably everything else old ,classic, vintage,collectable etc

What can be disconcerting is  not just curiousity repressed, but research on market values.  You look at one item...maybe it ends and you did not bid or you bid but did not win, but maybe it ends abruptly and now you are redirected. It is a mere ancillary benefit if the redirected item actually holds ones interest       Finally, at least from me, we look to see what the market bears so we can sell things in a good faith fair range and this is discouraging such a good faith fair practice

A decade or more ago anyone could look up on eBay "completed listings" and find out what things had sold for, or not sold. You could go back 60 or 90 days? Then they started shortening how far back you could go. Now, unless I have a link or a listing number, it's hard to go back two weeks on my own listings.

What happened was that eBay started collecting such data when they realized people would buy it. I don't know the details, and what I saw in the past has probably morphed into something stranger. Some of that info may be pricey. Some of it may be sold under the eBay name...and some of it not.

Edited by Littlegreenman, 12 August 2018 - 09:20 PM.

#270 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Mariner 2

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

seller of the 8" starfinder in denver already updated his ad to reflect an asking price of $300

He has it on the bay for $300 obo, with a reasonable but realistic shipping charge.  $250 cash would probably beat the ebay net.

#271 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:43 PM

Must have been a glitch or hack.  The seller has been on EB for 17 years and has 100% positive feedback for hundreds of ratings which is exceptional, last feedback in the last week. 

I think it more appropriate to note this sort of standing instead of just posting a sarcastic listing even if no one would take the deal as serious.

It's just for a little humor, that's all.

#272 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

eBay has a new thing they are doing. The item Rolo put a link to is "no longer available" as noted in some tiny print in the blue bar above the listing information. Instead, eBay has redirected you to a different, similar* listing.

So..., some of the posters above may have seen the original listing, and some only say the listing eBay has redirected you to.

It is maddening, but eBay is in it to sell items. eBay keeps finding new ways to put a listing in front of eyeballs.

Here is a link, direct, to the redirected item, a Carton 10" f/8  reflector, maybe, keep reading, on an EQ-1 (or similar mount) mount for a reasonable price. Plus shipping. Plus made an offer.

The text in the listing states:  "This is a hobby-built telescope made from mostly purchased components."  So I do not know if it is a full Carton scope or if it have a mirror from another company, etc:

Carton telescopes of all types are uncommon, and Carton reflector are even uncommon.

I have also noticed that eBay is starting to redirect me if I click on a link to a listing that is over, either an expired auction or a sold item. This going to take some adjusting to for us extreme hobbiests, who live and breath keeping track of what sold for what price.

Comment: eBay tried to emulate Amazon who started this similar item, and "Best [equals barely] Match stuff. It kinda works on Amazon, where they started with books and everything has a  Universal Price Code thing. But eBay is proof trying to find a similar match for some obscure vintage ACME Hargreaves strut is more likely to send you to some roadrunner cartoons that some telescopy thing. Or some children's books.

Thank you. Yes the original ad I linked to was a Busnell banner for $100k opening bid and buy it now of $500k. I thought it was hilarious and posted a link. 

Here's the original ad

https://www.ebay.com...p2047675.l10137

Edited by rolo, 12 August 2018 - 10:51 PM.

#273 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

That’s a cute little Carton OTA for 89 bucks!

#274 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

If I were still buying telescopes, I would buy this:

https://www.cloudyni...-130-newtonian/

Nice clean, complete 3rd gen Unitron 114, priced right:

https://www.cloudyni...e-unitron-60mm/

Edited by terraclarke, 13 August 2018 - 08:56 AM.

#275 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• In Memoriam

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:26 AM

And a Unitron Model 140 75MM, also nicely priced:

https://www.cloudyni...scope-complete/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics