•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ordered Losmandy AZ8, few Q's

mount tripod
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 AlexTardif

AlexTardif

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:49 PM

With this as a starting position, the "ergonomics" of the entire setup and motion control seem very intuitive and comfortable to me.  So long as I don't need to switch to a totally different part of the sky the az control cup on the extended flexible handle is right where it needs to be.  Otherwise picking up and turning the tripod would be necessary.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC09770.jpg

• db2005 likes this

#27 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:17 AM

I have one of those aluminum slo-mo knobs from another project and I have the Vixen-like cables.  What did you use for a "pin" to attached the cables to the slo-mo knobs?

And a very basic question - is the azimuth circle a slip circle or is there a set screw or ???

Thanks!  (Probably can't justify dropping $800 for an AZ8 right now, but I'm drooling over the pics...)

#28 AlexTardif

AlexTardif

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:34 AM

For a pin I just made a crude piece out of a 6mm bolt which I cut to desired length and then filed a flat spot where the screw will press it in place so it doesn't slip when turning.  You can get a 6mm aluminum rod at Home Depot or other hardware store for about a buck, which I think is what I'll do later today just to make it a "nicer" pin and will look for a "nicer" locking screw for a better match.  This is so trivial though that it does't really matter since you can't even see the pin - I just like knowing it looks nice :)

As far as AZ circle being a slip circle - yeah, both AZ and ALT are the same mechanism, they operate with a clutch.

$800 is no small chunk of change, but so far, after using the mount for about a week pretty much every night I'm quite happy with it.  I'm enjoying manual slo-mo tracking and pushing far more than I thought I would.  As far a good balance between portability and stability I couldn't have asked for more.

#29 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:24 AM

I'm drooling over the pics...

Drool on... https://www.cloudyni...-1497092914.jpg
https://www.cloudyni...-1501381185.jpg

Edited by luxo II, 29 August 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#30 JustKlaatu

JustKlaatu

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Harrison, NY

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

For a pin I just made a crude piece out of a 6mm bolt which I cut to desired length and then filed a flat spot where the screw will press it in place so it doesn't slip when turning.  You can get a 6mm aluminum rod at Home Depot or other hardware store for about a buck, which I think is what I'll do later today just to make it a "nicer" pin and will look for a "nicer" locking screw for a better match.  This is so trivial though that it does't really matter since you can't even see the pin - I just like knowing it looks nice smile.gif

As far as AZ circle being a slip circle - yeah, both AZ and ALT are the same mechanism, they operate with a clutch.

$800 is no small chunk of change, but so far, after using the mount for about a week pretty much every night I'm quite happy with it.  I'm enjoying manual slo-mo tracking and pushing far more than I thought I would.  As far a good balance between portability and stability I couldn't have asked for more.

Following your lead, I ordered the Vixen flex cables for my AZ8.  I went to Home Depot this morning to purchase set screws and 6mm square rod, but with the help of a saleperson we couldn't find any rod (square or round) that would work.  I wandered around the store hoping to be struck with inspiration and in the electrical section found some butt splices that I thought would work.

These are the items purchased at Home Depot:

IMG_1325.jpg

Butt splice securely attached to AZ8 slow motion knob with set screw:

IMG_1324.jpg

Vixen flex handle securely attached to the other end of the butt splice:

IMG_1323.jpg

AZ8 ready for action:

IMG_1326.jpg

This setup works well in the comfort of my astronomical instrument setup room breakfast nook.  Will be trying it under the stars (hopefully) at Cherry Springs later this week.

Clarence

• BinoGuy and ChrisMoses like this

#31 AlexTardif

AlexTardif

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

Very nice!

OCD kicked in again and I've actually changed things up a bit couple of days ago - ended up ordering an assortment of rods and internal hex screws on Amazon.  I tinker with random projects from time to time so I figured having these on hand would come in useful every now and then.  The 6mm rods were a perfect fit and the internal screws finished off with a clean look.

Curious, with the your encoders, do you need to tinker with the clutch to use the slow-mo controls or once your DSC finds the target you just start moving them as normal?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4363.jpg
  • IMG_4364.jpg

• ChrisMoses and JustKlaatu like this

#32 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 02 September 2018 - 05:49 PM

On the AZ8 the worms are engaged all the time. Find object and track, no fiddling with clutches.

Edited by luxo II, 02 September 2018 - 05:49 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#33 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:02 PM

With this as a starting position, the "ergonomics" of the entire setup and motion control seem very intuitive and comfortable to me.  So long as I don't need to switch to a totally different part of the sky the az control cup on the extended flexible handle is right where it needs to be.  Otherwise picking up and turning the tripod would be necessary.

That is one of the problems with the long flexible cables. They are nice sometimes, like you said. However, I think that knobs with no shafts are probably better all in all.

#34 dr.who

dr.who

Hubble

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:24 PM

Had mine out tonight with the TSA-120. No bounce or stutter which was nice. Was going to do the TOA-130 on it but I kept twisting the altitude clutch the wrong way and thought it wouldn't balance even with full tension. Stupid me.

29769492157_b0e104ec27_z.jpg

• Xeroid and AlexTardif like this

#35 AlexTardif

AlexTardif

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:49 PM

Quick update for anyone following this AZ8 thread... I bought the 6" extension and so far I'm not too crazy about it: the vibrations are more noticeable and it takes at least twice as long for the jitter to settle.  This makes focusing a rather frustrating experience.  Not a big deal overall, but it seems like since extension would probably benefit most those with long scopes, the added vibrations might not be worth the hassle.

• db2005 likes this

#36 rcg

rcg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SE Missouri

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

A question concerning the AZ8 head if you already had a tripod, how is the head base connected? Is there a center 3/8" 16 bolt? There is a center hole in the tripod optional coupler, is this single hole used to attach the head to the tripod adapter?

Edited by rcg, 13 November 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#37 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• Loc: 43° N, 73° W

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

AZ8 bolt is standard 3/8 16 and threads through a hole of same on the mount, so there shouldn't be much trouble mating this to tripods fitted with 3/8 16, male or female.  You might need to play around with bolt lengths and wing nuts to get a good fit.  Note that the AZ8 mount base is broad and flat with three pairs of nuts that protrude a couple mm and fit into corresponding holes on the tripod plate.  These are at the edges of the plate, not near center.  If your tripod plate is narrower these protrusions won't matter, but I think they add to the stability of the AZ8 mount + tripod.

#38 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

What is the maximum height the OE combination goes up to please? 

#39 bridgman

bridgman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:18 PM

What is the maximum height the OE combination goes up to please? 

I believe maximum height to the saddle centerline is 53" in stock configuration, which seems to match what I am seeing on mine. I have an optional 6" riser but subtracted that out when measuring.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics