•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lagoon Nebula (M8)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

Lagoon Nebula is really really big and I think than 90x is simply to much power to frame it well.

Sky Safari lists the size of this nebula as 90 x 40 arc minutes, so using 90x means that it simply does not fit into the field of view.

Fitting into the field of view is important because the nebula itself is only a bright knot that sits on a background that itself is glowing so to get the contrast necessary to make this nebula stand out from the background glow, I think a field of view of at least a degree is going to be beneficial. 

This target is no better in a big scope than in a small scope.  Exit pupil being larger helps.  A light pollution filter might also help.  I recommend a degree or larger true field to see it, and to see it well, 40x in an 8" scope under dark skies will provide a decent view. 

• flt158 and Ursa Minor like this

#27 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:41 AM

Hi Kevin,

I've had good seeing with the Astronomik UHC-E filter:

https://www.highpoin...-mounted-uhce-1

couldn't find it on amazon, astronomics or agena astro though, hence the highpoint scientific link above.  ymmv.  

I'd really recommend "turn left at orion" - it's a gem of a book and will give you a very good idea of what to expect to see for many of the more common objects in the sky:

https://www.amazon.c...n left at orion

plenty of 2nd hand on abe books too, at good prices (I picked up a near mint copy for like USD $8 a year ago!).

Cheers,

Dave

#28 Seaquel47

Seaquel47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Punta Gorda, Florida

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

Resurrecting this old post because I have finally figured out how to get a decent alignment on my LX90 and I was able to locate the Lagoon Nebula.  It looked just like SteelStar's b&w picture even with the moon being 4 days from full.  Exciting times!

#29 Ken Watts

Ken Watts

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sun City, Az

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:24 PM

I can confirm that I saw M8 tonight at about 7:45 mst from my back yard.  I live at the edge between a grey and red zone for light pollution near Phoenix, Az.  There was the definite dark lane with more nebulosity below the lane.  I was using my XT8 with 32, 25, and 12.4 mm eyepieces.

Overall, the sky was clear but not steady.

#30 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

It is a fun nebula.   I think it is very much better in a smaller faster scope than in a larger one.  The nebula is quite large, and I think framing it with a lot of dark sky gives you a much better chance to really see it stand out. Maybe 2 degrees.

This is a 2 second shot with my Galaxy 9 held to the eyepiece of my Mod 3 using my 6" reflector.

Note that the nebulosity extends out to the east and west quite far.  The field of view in this cell phone capture is about 2.4 degrees.   This pick does not show all the nebulosity. It is just to hard to hold the cell phone still long enough to capture the full extension so that is why I only used 2 sec exposure. The real time view was better, but I am just not that much into imaging so my images usually fail to capture all that I can see. 

Enchanted Rock L t.jpg

Edited by Eddgie, 22 September 2019 - 03:31 PM.

• Ken Watts likes this

#31 Seaquel47

Seaquel47

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Punta Gorda, Florida

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

This is my first picture on my journey into EAA.  I used an Atik Infinity camera on a TV-85 with a .8 reducer/flattener.  I did stacking and thought I recorded the work but I didn't understand how the software worked and only managed to save 3 frames.  

Attached Thumbnails

• Lagoon Nebula - Infinity screen.jpg

• Ken Watts likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics