•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A little Lens review w/pic's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:51 PM

While shopping for another Pentax body (used), came across a "Demo" lens, & snagged it.

ZONGYI CREATOR, 135mm f/2.8. Manual focus. The build is impressive & top notch.

The focusing ring is snug & tight, not soft,loose or sloppy feeling. This ought to prevent "creep",
and focus changing during imaging. The lens is kind of unique, in that the f/stop selection
(and blades), are about in the middle of the body, not @ the rear like most "normal" lenses.
The "stops"" actually have a bit of a "click" to let one know when they are at a specific setting,
yet the aperature is completely adjustable inbetween each click stop. One can set it anywhere, and it will stay there.

Just like the focus ring, it's nice and snug, and stays where it's put. Not to mention, it's really heavy for it's size (1lb 5oz) & all metal construction.

Had a chance to try it out recently, so attached it to the K5ii, and mounted it on the LXD55. Since I wasn't going to guide, and was in the backyard,

did a 3-star align on the mount, then went to NGC 7000.  The results are very promissing...(20) 180s 1600 iso & (27) 180s 800 iso.

Played around w/the f/ratio during captures & was between wide open & f/4, for a total of about 2hr:21min
When first looking @ the RAW files, most of the bright stars had purple fringing, yet decided to stack to see the result. (Didn't use any filters on the lens for this test.)

The stack came back promissing, so proceeded w/processing, and came up with this. This is the full field view, no cropping.
Evidently there is a Ver II of this lens that has ED glass (unsure if the one I have is that version), and they might be available in Canon/Nikon mounts.

For a semi inexpensive,fixed length lens that's great for semi-wide fields, it ought not to be overlooked.

K5ii-CREATOR-NGC700-0818.jpg

Edited by SKYGZR, 06 August 2018 - 11:55 PM.

• Starman27, mikewayne3 and aneeg like this

#2 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

This is full sized corner crops of the previous image. Pretty good for un-guided imaging, and if used on a guided set up, results would more than likely improve.

CREATOR-CORNERS.jpg

#3 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Looks promising. Given that it is such a heavy lens for its size, did you need to support it in any way? Or is the K-5II lens mount strong enough for it? I ask because I have a 135mm f/1.8 lens that is also heavy, as you would imagine given the size of the glass. I haven't tried it yet because I'm worried that I will need to provide additional support for it in order not to stress the lens mount of my K-3II.

#4 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

No problem with the support...it's a bit heavy, but nothing like the 70-200 Tamron

#5 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

But the 70 - 200mm Tamron, assuming you mean this one (http://www.tamron.ca...ength/70-200mm/) has it's own tripod socket. Good thing, too, since it's 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs). I just weighed the old screw-mount 135mm f/1.8 I mentioned and it is about 0.6 kg (1.4 lbs). So I still don't know if I should mount it without some sort of support. The K-3II does use a stainless-steel frame and a magnesium body, so perhaps it can take it without undue stress. I assume that no further support was needed for the 35mm film cameras the lens was originally designed for but I'm not aware of a weight-limit spec for the lens mount on this (or any) DSLR, are you?

(BTW, sorry to further derail your thread. But weight can be an issue for old lenses in general, many of which like your 135mm find can be good for astrophotography.)

#6 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

Yes, understood about the socket...this 135 lens is a bit hefty, yet not really that long or cumbersome..

Here's a brief review of similar (named Mitakon, yet kind of like Rokinon/Samyang, might be the "same".)

https://www.pentaxfo...28-mark-ii.html

Notice in the pic's, that the f/stop select ring is ahead of the foucus ring.

I have no concerns using it on any of my bodies just using the tripod 1/4-20 fitting for attaching to dovetails.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics