•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Skywatcher 100 ED APO thread ...

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#401 Phutatorius

Phutatorius

Explorer 1

• Loc: Great Lakes region

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:26 AM

My scope is new as of a month or two ago.  The focuser looks just like the one in the PDF, at least from the outside.  I haven't felt the need or the courage to disassemble it yet.  I had to discover by trial and error that that external thumb screw was a lock; focusing worked much better when I loosened it a bit. 

• hudsonman and Bomber Bob like this

#402 lxr4345

lxr4345

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:35 PM

Quick update - I tried the Report in different configurations on different surfaces, but at high magnification the object was almost out of view by the time it stopped wiggling.  After various tries and methods to compensate enough was enough.  I did what I said I wouldn't do and returned the Report and got a Uni.  Holy smokes, what a difference.  I point the telescope, focus, and voila! Beautiful images, no fuss.  I'm definitely glad I made the switch.

On a different note, does anyone know the specs for the 25mm EP that comes with the scope? Specifically, what's the AFOV?  I couldn't find any info anywhere.  It's not that important while I'm using it, but I'd like to have a frame of reference when I'm considering other EPs.  I had quite a lovely night with it last night looking at star clusters.  If this is what people consider mediocre, I can't wait to try a good EP.  Any suggestions for a widefield low power EP for this scope that will knock my socks off?

edit: my searching skills need some polishing.  According to this site, the 25mm is 50* AFOV.

Edited by lxr4345, 12 September 2020 - 04:39 PM.

• BlueMoon and eros312 like this

#403 Phutatorius

Phutatorius

Explorer 1

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:27 PM

We had some clearing last night after several nights of smoke haze here in Michigan.  I got out my 100 ED and spent some time watching Jupiter and Saturn.  It appeared that I could see both planets better with my 10mm Explore Scientific EP than with the supplied 5mm SkyWatcher EP at 180x.  Interesting.  Maybe I'll get a 3mm Explore Scientific (300x) and see what results I get with that.  Dual axis drive motors from Orion are supposed to arrive tomorrow. 

Edited by Phutatorius, 18 September 2020 - 01:29 PM.

• Bomber Bob and therealdmt like this

#404 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:48 PM

We had some clearing last night after several nights of smoke haze here in Michigan.  I got out my 100 ED and spent some time watching Jupiter and Saturn.  It appeared that I could see both planets better with my 10mm Explore Scientific EP than with the supplied 5mm SkyWatcher EP at 180x.  Interesting.  Maybe I'll get a 3mm Explore Scientific (300x) and see what results I get with that.  Dual axis drive motors from Orion are supposed to arrive tomorrow. 

You are going the wrong direction. Resist the urge to over-magnify. If the 5 mm was too much power, you should be considering a 7 mm eyepiece.

• tog, The Luckster and 25585 like this

#405 therealdmt

therealdmt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:13 AM

My Skywatcher ED100 arrived today, hooray!

With the wrong tripod and mount (cue: sad trombone)

(sigh)

Tripod and mount package to get shipped back Monday. Hopefully the correct tripod/mount arrives by next weekend. Oh man...

My only eyepieces I have at this point are a 2” LET 28mm eyepiece that came included with the 100 ED scope and and a 1.25" 7mm-21mm Svbony zoom. Additionally, I bought an unbranded 2x Barlow that Sky-Watcher sells when I ordered the scope.

Since I’ll have at least until next weekend for first light now, anyone have any recommendations for an eyepiece or two that I should pick up with the objective (haha) of having a positive experience with my first few viewing sessions?

I live in a pretty light polluted area (and getting worse). My main objective (the thing that made me pull the trigger on this, kinda my first "real" scope) is to view Mars at this opposition, with other planetary views being next down on my list. Besides wanting to see the polar ice cap and surface markings on Mars, I hope to clearly see the cloud bands on Jupiter (and the Great Red Spot, if possible), the Cassini division in Saturn’s rings, Saturn’s moon Titan, and the planets Uranus and Neptune.

Next up, a vey different target, would be Pleiades, and, if I stay up late (and certainly in the weeks/months to come), the Orion Nebula. And a biggie on my wish list I’d love to catch a view of is the Triangulum Galaxy (which I’ve never seen, though I’ve looked for it many times with binoculars), but I don’t know if that would be possible due to light pollution. Finally, I’d like to be able to see a bright globular cluster or two if possible and a planetary nebula or two maybe. Some nebulae over in Sagittarius could be cool if the tripod arrives soon enough...

So, basically everything, lol. But the most immediate concern is Mars.

Budget is mid-level. I think I’m not gonna go with Televue or Pentax or such at this point (I’m just starting out), but I’m not interested in cheap Plossls or Kellners with internal reflections, narrow field of view and poor eye-relief either. I was thinking something along the lines of something like Celestron X-cel LX or Orion Expanse, but it definitely doesn’t have to be either of those specific brands or models; I’m just talking in terms of my general budget area for an eyepiece or two with decent field of view and eye relief that would complement my 1.25" Svbony zoom and possibly the included 28mm LET 2" Kellner. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Since I’m a beginner (this’ll be my first "real" scope - I’ve just been using binoculars and, more recently, a plastic educational toy scope so far), I might post a similar query about eyepiece suggestions over in the Beginners forum, so please don’t feel insulted if you see something from me over there - I’m not trying to trick anyone. Just excited about my new scope (which I can’t use due to no tripod! Aughh!)

Edited by therealdmt, 19 September 2020 - 10:23 PM.

#406 Phutatorius

Phutatorius

Explorer 1

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:54 AM

You are going the wrong direction. Resist the urge to over-magnify. If the 5 mm was too much power, you should be considering a 7 mm eyepiece.

Isn't 300x well within the useful range of this telescope?  My point had to do with the apparent relative quality of the EPs. 

Edited by Phutatorius, 19 September 2020 - 05:55 AM.

#407 therealdmt

therealdmt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:31 AM

Isn't 300x well within the useful range of this telescope?  My point had to do with the apparent relative quality of the EPs. 

I think he was getting at that the limiting factor might be your local seeing conditions, not the optics of the scope. If it’s the seeing conditions, more magnification will only make matters worse (like, in daytime DSLR photography, how using a high powered telephoto lens on a hot day shows all sorts of ripples in the air, while, when using a lower power lens on the same day, everything looks fine or at least pretty good)

Edited by therealdmt, 19 September 2020 - 06:32 AM.

• SteveG and eblanken like this

#408 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

(sigh)

Tripod and mount package to get shipped back Monday. Hopefully the correct tripod/mount arrives by next weekend. Oh man...

My only eyepieces I have at this point are a 2” LET 28mm eyepiece that came included with the 100 ED scope and and a 1.25" 7mm-21mm Svbony zoom. Additionally, I bought an unbranded 2x Barlow that Sky-Watcher sells when I ordered the scope.

Since I’ll have at least until next weekend for first light now, anyone have any recommendations for an eyepiece or two that I should pick up with the objective (haha) of having a positive experience with my first few viewing sessions?

I live in a pretty light polluted area (and getting worse). My main objective (the thing that made me pull the trigger on this, kinda my first "real" scope) is to view Mars at this opposition, with other planetary views being next down on my list. Besides wanting to see the polar ice cap and surface markings on Mars, I hope to clearly see the cloud bands on Jupiter (and the Great Red Spot, if possible), the Cassini division in Saturn’s rings, Saturn’s moon Titan, and the planets Uranus and Neptune.

Next up, a vey different target, would be Pleiades, and, if I stay up late (and certainly in the weeks/months to come), the Orion Nebula. And a biggie on my wish list I’d love to catch a view of is the Triangulum Galaxy (which I’ve never seen, though I’ve looked for it many times with binoculars), though I don’t know if that would be possible due to light pollution. Finally, I’d like to be able to see a bright globular cluster or two if possible and a planetary nebula or two maybe. Some nebulae over in Sagittarius could be cool if the tripod arrives soon enough...

So, basically everything, lol. But the most immediate concern is Mars.

Budget is mid-level. I think I’m not gonna go with Televue or Pentax or such at this point (I’m just starting out), but I’m not interested in cheap Plossls or Kellners with internal reflections, narrow field of view and poor eye-relief either. I was thinking something along the lines of something like Celestron X-cel LX or Orion Expanse, but it definitely doesn’t have to be either of those specific brands or models; I’m just talking in terms of my general budget area for an eyepiece or two with decent field of view and eye relief that would complement my 1.25" Svbony zoom and possibly the included 28mm LET 2" Kellner. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Since I’m a beginner (this’ll be my first "real" scope - I’ve just been using binoculars and, more recently, a plastic educational toy scope so far), I might post a similar query about eyepiece suggestions over in the Beginners forum, so please don’t feel insulted if you see something from me over there - I’m not trying to trick anyone. Just excited about my new scope (which I can’t use due to no tripod! Aughh!)

How much do you want to spend on eyepieces? 

The Meade 5000 UWA series,  especially the 5.5mm  is an excellent eyepiece for not so much money.  It's a 82 degree eyepiece 

You can use the bottom half of your barlow to give you 1.5x so with the 5.5mm and your scope you will get 163x and 245x

• therealdmt likes this

#409 GeoffC47

GeoffC47

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Western Pa

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:04 AM

IMG_8482.jpeg

(sigh)

...I can’t use due to no tripod! Aughh!)

Got caught like that myself.  Rigged up a cheapo mount to get some first looks and practice till the mount arrived...

Edited by GeoffC47, 19 September 2020 - 09:04 AM.

• paulsky, tony_spina, SteveG and 2 others like this

#410 therealdmt

therealdmt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:22 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_8482.jpeg

Got caught like that myself.  Rigged up a cheapo mount to get some first looks and practice till the mount arrived...

Oh man, I’m not alone! lol.gif

when ya gotta view, ya gotta view! Nice inventiveness there

• GeoffC47 likes this

#411 therealdmt

therealdmt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

How much do you want to spend on eyepieces? 

The Meade 5000 UWA series,  especially the 5.5mm  is an excellent eyepiece for not so much money.  It's a 82 degree eyepiece 

You can use the bottom half of your barlow to give you 1.5x so with the 5.5mm and your scope you will get 163x and 245x

His much do I want to spend - good question. I’m getting a bit of sticker shock as this is all adding up. The $150 to $250-ish range, I guess?

The Meade UWA is available locally, but a bit over that price. I might try and visit the store in person as it’s by my mother-in-law’s place that I’ll be visiting next week and see if I can talk them down on that (probably can, but I’ve never been to that store so I don’t know it for a fact). Of course, ordering online is hardly impossible, but I’ve actually kinda been wanting to take a trip out to that store anyway and see what they have in stock/pick the guys’ brains and maybe try haggling price a bit, etc.

So I can take that particular Barlow I linked to above apart and only use the bottom half for a 1.5x option? If so, that could give some nice flexibility. I had no idea

#412 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:35 AM

His much do I want to spend - good question. I’m getting a bit of sticker shock as this is all adding up. The $150 to $250-ish range, I guess?

The Meade UWA is available locally, but a bit over that price. I might try and visit the store in person as it’s by my mother-in-law’s place that I’ll be visiting next week and see if I can talk them down on that (probably can, but I’ve never been to that store so I don’t know it for a fact). Of course, ordering online is hardly impossible, but I’ve actually kinda been wanting to take a trip out to that store anyway and see what they have in stock/pick the guys’ brains and maybe try haggling price a bit, etc.

So I can take that particular Barlow I linked to above apart and only use the bottom half for a 1.5x option? If so, that could give some nice flexibility. I had no idea

The full price in the Meade 5.5mm is $129 in the US and they typically go 9n sale for $99. But they are out of stock.   According to some sites they will be available next month 

Lots of great reviews on this eyepiece on the eyepiece forum 

If your budget is $250 then take a look at the Baader Morpheus line. The 6.5mm would be great 

• therealdmt likes this

#413 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:00 PM

Anyone have used the 100ED F/9 for the "Ares planet" (Mars) ?

Cheers.Paul

#414 PKDfan

PKDfan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:18 PM

Hi paulsky, used my 100ed on mars several days ago with my Baader mk. IV 8-24 zoom with a GSO 2inch 2X ed barlow and was blown away with the view. Will try again with my new Baader 6.5mm Morpheus and barlow for 275ish power. By the way the Meade series 5000 5.5mm has been discontinued.

Clear skies and good seeing

Edited by PKDfan, 20 September 2020 - 07:02 PM.

• therealdmt likes this

#415 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:51 AM

Cheers.Paul

waytogo.gif Ares is the proper name. Antares, the red star, means "rival to Ares" (planet)

Both good in my 100 Equinox, great scope.

• The Luckster likes this

#416 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

Cheers.Paul

I used mine last night for my first view of Mars this season. I have a lot of trees where I live, and planets are hard to view.

Last night the air was surprisingly stable, showing me some of the best planetary views I've had this year, and perhaps the best Mars I've seen in 10 years. My only regret was not having my larger scopes out & cooled.

Mars looked best using a 5 mm eyepiece (180x), and was very sharp. The south polar cap was very bright and distinct, but very small. There was a whitish "hood" of clouds over the north pole area. It was one of the boring sides of the planet facing out, but the greyish markings were clear and distinct. The colors were very bold considering only 4". I was very happy using my recently refurbished ED100 on a Super Polaris driven mount.

• The Luckster likes this

#417 ndabunka

ndabunka

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Huntersville, NC (80%), Snowshoe, WV (20%)

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:43 PM

Anyone here used a BARADV with this scope?  I have one coming along with a TeleVue 13mm Nagler that I am hoping to be able to pair to good results.

#418 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:33 AM

Anyone here used a BARADV with this scope?  I have one coming along with a TeleVue 13mm Nagler that I am hoping to be able to pair to good results.

I have on my 100 Equinox (and 120). No CA at all, as perfect a 2x Barlow as my Zeiss Abbe 2x is for 1.25". 

• ndabunka likes this

#419 ndabunka

ndabunka

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Huntersville, NC (80%), Snowshoe, WV (20%)

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:40 AM

I have on my 100 Equinox (and 120). No CA at all, as perfect a 2x Barlow as my Zeiss Abbe 2x is for 1.25". 

Thanks for the feedback.  I did have some minor concern about heft and using it with a heavy Nagler so hopefully I can keep the scope balanced.  I use this primarily for AP but wanted to have a Nagler and this BARADV for visual sky with my family.  Good to hear my plans should work out.

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics