•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Skywatcher 100 ED APO thread ...

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#51 burb scope

burb scope

Viking 1

• Loc: Holland, MI

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

I am sold on this scope, but I am agonized by choosing a mount for it.

Believe it or not I have a wife that wants a scope with more horsepower than the Orion ST-80 that she operates during our club outreach events.

I think that the Sky-Watcher 100 ED APO would be great for the Moon, planets, doubles, etc.  while I handle other objects with another scope.

We are looking for a GOTO mount for visual use that doesn't weigh too much and is very portable.  Our light pollution limits our star-hopping, so we want GOTO.

The OTA weight plus eyepiece + finder is near 9 lbs. (esitmate).

I am worried that the longer OTA on this F/9 would tax the seemingly small Sky-Watcher AZ GTi and Allview, and the iOptron SmartEQ Pro+ mounts.

The Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Astro Package lists an 11 lbs. payload, but seems tiny.

I have never owned a "long" refractor, and I am worried about jiggles during focusing, wind, etc.

Am I being too conservative here considering it is for visual use?

The alternatives are the Celestron AVX, Orion SkyView Pro, Sky-Watcher EQM-35, etc in the $800 range.  They seem to be pretty bulky and expensive for this class of scope.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

#52 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

I figured I'd share some pics of my SW 100ED with Moonlite focuser riding on the SV M2C mount + Twilight I tripod. This is an outstanding telescope, I routinely use it at 250x on the Moon and double stars. My sample has a perfect star test, and I love how f/9 optics are more forgiving than faster focal ratios.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2714_.jpg
  • IMG_2710_.jpg

Edited by RadioAstronomer, 05 December 2018 - 10:47 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Jacques, Scott Beith and 9 others like this

#53 Jacques

Jacques

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

Very nice focuser smile.gif

• RadioAstronomer likes this

#54 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

I routinely used my ED100 at high magnfication this past summer on the planets, moon and double stars and can also attest to the quality of the optics!!

• Castor likes this

#55 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

Believe it or not I have a wife that wants a scope with more horsepower than the Orion ST-80 that she operates during our club outreach events.
I think that the Sky-Watcher 100 ED APO would be great for the Moon, planets, doubles, etc. while I handle other objects with another scope.
We are looking for a GOTO mount for visual use that doesn't weigh too much and is very portable. Our light pollution limits our star-hopping, so we want GOTO.
I am worried that the longer OTA on this F/9 would tax the seemingly small Sky-Watcher AZ GTi and Allview, and the iOptron SmartEQ Pro+ mounts.
The Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Astro Package lists an 11 lbs. payload, but seems tiny.
I have never owned a "long" refractor, and I am worried about jiggles during focusing, wind, etc.

The alternatives are the Celestron AVX, Orion SkyView Pro, Sky-Watcher EQM-35, etc in the $800 range. They seem to be pretty bulky and expensive for this class of scope.

Give Skywatcher a call on that EQM-35. It looks like a CG4 with goto and tracking. I used my 100ED with a CG4 and loved it. The Skyview PRO may be the same mount though as the EQM-35. AVX obviously would cover all your needs though with plenty of people to help out using it.
  • Castor likes this

#56 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:20 AM

EQM-35 or M2 mounts are the way to go.

• BKBrown likes this

#57 abrockycat

abrockycat

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:14 PM

Love seeing all of the comments about this scope.  For those of you that have a Moonlite focuser for the 100 ED, do you know if the Baader Clicklock M68a will thread directly into the focuser tube of the larger 2.5 inch Moonlite focuser?  Would like to make the focuser upgrade but I don't want to give up the Clicklock.  Thanks.

#58 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:40 PM

I think that the Sky-Watcher 100 ED APO would be great for the Moon, planets, doubles, etc.  while I handle other objects with another scope.

We are looking for a GOTO mount for visual use that doesn't weigh too much and is very portable.  Our light pollution limits our star-hopping, so we want GOTO.

The alternatives are the Celestron AVX, Orion SkyView Pro, Sky-Watcher EQM-35, etc in the $800 range.  They seem to be pretty bulky and expensive for this class of scope.

I agree with Daniel on the EQM 35 Pro mount, it looks exactly like the EQ-5P that came with my SW100ED Pro...and it worked a charm. As another option I can recommend the Orion Sirius (see image) which is a step up in quality IMHO, mine has never let me down. Either mount will get the job done for go-to visual observing.

This is a terrific thread and I have been following it since it started, up to this point I have quietly followed the commentary and I think there have been some really good observations. On the quality issue I have found Skywatcher ED refractors to be excellent across the board, at least with mine and the dozen or so other SW scopes I have used. The quality control along with the fit and finish is far better than it used to be but is not up to the standard of TEC, AP, or Takahashi...and who would expect them to meet that threshold at their price point? That said, Skywatcher makes very good products at reasonable prices. Don't know that I would say my 100ED is exceptional, but it puts up superb, well-corrected views that compare very favorably to other scopes in the same class, and that includes Taks and TV scopes in direct head-to-head comparisons. The Tak, for instance, edged the SW by the very narrowest of margins and my 100ED performed magnificently. While the higher priced scopes have noticeably better finish and out-of-the-box mechanicals, the optics are not so vastly superior as one might expect. And on nights of limited seeing (most nights in my region of the Mid-Atlantic states) the difference effectively vanishes...again IMO. So SW100ED (and other ED100 users) enjoy your scopes and be happy that you saved some bucks; you did well smile.png There are two scopes I own that are definitely keepers for life, my superb TEC 140...and my SW100ED Pro.

My favorite configuration:

post-85088-0-04538200-1435631783.jpg

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• Jacques, Scott Beith, belgrade and 6 others like this

#59 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:40 PM

I agree with Daniel on the EQM 35 Pro mount, it looks exactly like the EQ-5P that came with my SW100ED Pro...and it worked a charm. As another option I can recommend the Orion Sirius (see image) which is a step up in quality IMHO, mine has never let me down. Either mount will get the job done for go-to visual observing.

This is a terrific thread and I have been following it since it started, up to this point I have quietly followed the commentary and I think there have been some really good observations. On the quality issue I have found Skywatcher ED refractors to be excellent across the board, at least with mine and the dozen or so other SW scopes I have used. The quality control along with the fit and finish is far better than it used to be but is not up to the standard of TEC, AP, or Takahashi...and who would expect them to meet that threshold at their price point? That said, Skywatcher makes very good products at reasonable prices. Don't know that I would say my 100ED is exceptional, but it puts up superb, well-corrected views that compare very favorably to other scopes in the same class, and that includes Taks and TV scopes in direct head-to-head comparisons. The Tak, for instance, edged the SW by the very narrowest of margins and my 100ED performed magnificently. While the higher priced scopes have noticeably better finish and out-of-the-box mechanicals, the optics are not so vastly superior as one might expect. And on nights of limited seeing (most nights in my region of the Mid-Atlantic states) the difference effectively vanishes...again IMO. So SW100ED (and other ED100 users) enjoy your scopes and be happy that you saved some bucks; you did well smile.png There are two scopes I own that are definitely keepers for life, my superb TEC 140...and my SW100ED Pro.

My favorite configuration:

attachicon.gif post-85088-0-04538200-1435631783.jpg

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Comparing my 100 Equinox and Tak FC100DL, both 900mm, I agree. 

#60 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:14 PM

I use my superb ED100 on an Orion Astroview EQ mount with dual axis drives and have no problems with stability, shakes or tracking at high powers.  The Astroview is essentially Orion's version of the CG-4 mount and it is plenty of mount to hold the Skywatcher ED100.

• belgrade and 25585 like this

#61 PKDfan

PKDfan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:00 AM

Hi all; picked up my evostar 100ed a couple of weeks ago and want to say that it is fantastic. The optics were totally dust free and I have not read anywhere but was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of baffles in the ota so was very happy about that! Only had a chance to quickly test it but looks great so far. Best buy that I ever made. If you want a great scope go for this Skywatcher product.
Cheers

CS & GS
  • belgrade, Lookitup, 25585 and 2 others like this

#62 PKDfan

PKDfan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:39 PM

Hello again I neglected to mention on my previous post that my focuser was perfect out of the box and my eqm-35 pro was a pleasure to use all I did was add some lithium grease to the gears, there was very little backlash and the noise was pretty quiet all in all. Also I put a couple of thin strips of felt under the clamping rings as the existing felt was a bit thin. I can hardly wait to give it a full workout soon. I can atest to the new equipment curse as I'm in Edmonton and we've had more rain than in the last five years and still no sign of clear skies for awhile yet LOL

CS & GS
  • Jond105 likes this

#63 NHRob

NHRob

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Cloud-Hampshire

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

PKDfan,

We need pics!

#64 PKDfan

PKDfan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

20190704_113811~2.jpg Hi again everyone; well here is my new love I've  got a little better photo that I previously posted so I hope this gives a better view!

Cheers

CS & GS

Edited by PKDfan, 04 July 2019 - 02:04 PM.

• Scott Beith, SteveG, m9x18 and 8 others like this

#65 blange3

blange3

Vostok 1

• Loc: Woodbridge, NJ

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

New scope edited

I've joined the Skywatcher 100 ED APO club! This is my second scope and first refractor. Using an AVX mount and will be adding WiFi  and a Baader Clicklock soon.

I really love this scope and looking forward to do some travelling to some dark skies soon.

• jimandlaura26, Scott Beith, m9x18 and 5 others like this

#66 zirkel 2

zirkel 2

Vostok 1

• Loc: France

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:52 AM

Me too (same to SW 100ED)... Orion 100 ED Refractor/ SVP Goto Equatorial Mount combo... great competitor on the Moon, Planets, double stars and smalls Open Clusters/Asterisms and many bright DSO objects lol.gif

Lunette Orion100ED (24)

Edited by zirkel 2, 10 July 2019 - 10:59 AM.

• Scott Beith, eros312, BKBrown and 4 others like this

#67 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

Yes, I'm bringing this thread back to life.  Currently at $626 USD new, I got the SW100 instead of an AT102.  Glad I did, too.

I was warned about the shoddy SW focuser; mine is butter-smooth, course and fine, all the way in and out at any angle with a heavy load...and it holds focus without using the lock screw.  Also, the SW100 mounted to my ES Twilight I  has NOT been a problem FOR ME.  YMMV

Fit and finish are good to very good, optics, excellent.  Views are impressive to me, good contrast and transparency.  I have yet to examine CA control, however, being an f/9 with an ED element I will most likely notice a huge difference between the SW100 and my ST120 f/5.

Just an FYI:  The optical tube, tube-rings with dovetail, SW 2" diagonal with 1.25" adapter and the 8x50 finder and bracket weigh in at 10 lbs 5.5 oz.

This is a fine telescope with some goodies at a great (as of December 2019) price.  Now I want the SW120...wink.gif

MG 4010 LR LR

CS

jason

Edited by The Luckster, 17 December 2019 - 03:28 PM.

• Jacques, Scott Beith, belgrade and 14 others like this

#68 BKBrown

BKBrown

Aurora

• Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

Beautiful kit Jason, you made the right call smile.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• The Luckster likes this

#69 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:38 PM

Nice set up! I think that a scope with a dual speed focuser makes all the difference on that mount. I have found it to be very stable except when focusing, but when you have a 2 speed, it seems to solve the problem. waytogo.gif

• The Luckster likes this

#70 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 17 December 2019 - 10:07 PM

Jason, go for the 120ED! If and when you can. I have it and I love it. You won’t regret it. In the meantime, the 100ED it is. A splendid choice. 👍
  • The Luckster and 25585 like this

#71 PKDfan

PKDfan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

Good to see new blood! Have not posted lately, a couple reasons I doomed everyone in Edmonton area getting my dream scope originally from Vancouver so have had wet coast levels of precipitation and actually went back for several months. Finally had a chance to get some serious usage with this fantastic bit of kit, I am working on a comprehensive review of my Evostar 100ed for a future post here!

Clear skies and good seeing everyone

• Jon Isaacs, beanerds, eros312 and 2 others like this

#72 m9x18

m9x18

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas USA

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:36 AM

Here's another version of the venerable ED100 class scope. My Celestron C100ED. Complete with MoonLite focuser upgrade.

c100ed.jpg

• jimandlaura26, Scott Beith, SteveG and 10 others like this

#73 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:16 AM

I want one!!

• m9x18, Agatha and The Luckster like this

#74 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:39 AM

Another owner and lover of these awesome scopes ! mine is the ' Saxon ' branded one that we get down here and this scope is as perfect as you want in a 100mm APO , just amazing how well it performs for the price they sell these , yep , impressive ! 

Mine lives on a 1980's Mizar eq  , has a GSO 2 inch ' Liner Bearing Focuser ' fitted and it all sits on a Celestron 2 inch s/s tripod , super steady set up .

Beanerds.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190309_101238 (2).jpg

• jimandlaura26, Scott Beith, SteveG and 9 others like this

#75 clemley

clemley

Sputnik

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 21 December 2019 - 11:51 PM

I recently bought a 100 ED and the .85 reducer/corrector for imaging and occasional visual.  Does anyone know of a camera rotator for this scope and reducer?  I found one for the 72 ED, and I guess I could use that with a couple of adapters, but I can't believe no one makes one for this scope.  I've googled around, checked the retailers, but no luck.

Thanks! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics