•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Skywatcher 100 ED APO thread ...

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#126 steve1970

steve1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:28 PM

Hi,

I have pretty much always been a dobsonian user, but I have decided on this Sky-Watcher 100 ED APO as my first refractor. Thanks for all the great information in this thread.

I just have a question: Can someone recommend an inexpensive yet decent alt-azimuth mount for this telescope? Please let me know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

#127 ascii

ascii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:41 PM

Hi,

I have pretty much always been a dobsonian user, but I have decided on this Sky-Watcher 100 ED APO as my first refractor. Thanks for all the great information in this thread.

I just have a question: Can someone recommend an inexpensive yet decent alt-azimuth mount for this telescope? Please let me know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

Not sure how much vibration you can tolerate, but both decent and inexpensive may not happen. I've heard very good things about this mount and tripod at $599 for this scope.  (My mount is very good but discontinued.)

https://www.stellarv...e-mount-system/

• ltj likes this

#128 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:42 PM

Hi,

Thanks, Steve.

I use mine with an Orion Versago ii. I use a 16” extension but that’s just a personal preference. I see no reason for an upgrade with the 100ed and they’re on sale now. No slow motion controls though but it’s just like guiding your dob with nudging. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 76C06EB2-B580-4183-B23D-A322975992FE.jpeg

• belgrade and Bomber Bob like this

#129 steve1970

steve1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

Not sure how much vibration you can tolerate, but both decent and inexpensive may not happen. I've heard very good things about this mount and tripod at $599 for this scope.  (My mount is very good but discontinued.)

https://www.stellarv...e-mount-system/

Thanks for the suggestion. That is definitely a solid mount. I think I would lean toward something a little lighter.

#130 steve1970

steve1970

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

I use mine with an Orion Versago ii. I use a 16” extension but that’s just a personal preference. I see no reason for an upgrade with the 100ed and their on sale now. No slow motion controls though but it’s just like guiding your dob with nudging. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I think this is very close to what I am looking for. I think there is a good chance I will purchase this mount. If so, I will report back as soon as I get my scope and mount.

Steve

• Jond105 likes this

#131 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

I use the Agena 38 mm SWA 70° In my 100 mm f/9 that I'm guessing is a very similar eyepiece to the William Optics.  At this price range you get some off-axis astigmatism, but it's not too bad.  I use mine for large open clusters.  It's just about perfect for the Pleiades. The cluster takes up the cleanest portion of the FOV and the remainder is context to really show off the cluster. I like the view even better than with my 22T4 Nagler where the cluster just fits, with no context.  I use it on clusters that are even much larger, like the Hyades and Mel 20 (a favorite). These are too large for to scope, but it's nice to get as much of them squeezed in as possible.

Good to know, thank you.

CS

jason

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics