•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New 152 MM APM APO in the house!

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#401 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

Well the waiting game starts watching for the fed ex truck. My Vette is sick and the whole car has to taken apart to get at a leaking gas tank. And i mean everything has to be taken apart for a SIMPLE LEAK THAT COST $4k.  But it should be under recall and free of charge so off to the dealer. Hope i don't miss the Fed ex rex.

Edited by CHASLX200, 09 November 2018 - 08:13 AM.

• dagadget and Jond105 like this

#402 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:16 PM

....here my test report:

0222.png

I never had one of those, so as I understand the strehl value is "only" measured for one wavelength here, 

guess the strehl value does not give any insights on CA, does it?

• roadi, n2068dd and Bomber Bob like this

#403 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

Well the waiting game starts watching for the fed ex truck. My Vette is sick and the whole car has to taken apart to get at a leaking gas tank. And i mean everything has to be taken apart for a SIMPLE LEAK THAT COST $4k.  But it should be under recall and free of charge so off to the dealer. Hope i don't miss the Fed ex rex.

you need to get a simple car.  Think of the nice scope you could have had for $4k.  The last time I had to spend $2k on a car repair I got rid of it.   Just not worth it. In the end they all do the same thing. Get you from point a to b.   Scopes are wonderful and require very little repair.  Cars are just like boats. They suck the money out of you the minute you get something fancy.

• Astrojensen likes this

#404 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:04 PM

....here my test report:

0222.png

I never had one of those, so as I understand the strehl value is "only" measured for one wavelength here, 

the test report on each is a bit different.   When I ordered mine I should have told them I want one with the highest strehl they have.

It may not tell you the CA, but it does give a clue that the figure on the lens is good.  Yours looks to be very good.

Edited by starman876, 09 November 2018 - 01:04 PM.

• hfjacinto and CvBadengoth like this

#405 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

This thread has sold me on the 152ED. OSO seems like a good option as I might be able to drive and get it. I'm in Indiana and it looks like 9-10 hours. Might make for a nice trip with my wife to visit NYC as well..might do one of the Newark hotels that have the shuttle that goes to Times Sq 3X per day and back...Hmmm

Or I could go to NEAF 2019 as that's another 2 hrs beyond OSO

I'm trying to think of mounting. I'd more use it for visual with 2" eyepieces with the heaviest being the 2.5lb 30mm ES 82. I'm looking at the iEQ45Pro as the head is lighter weight, but seems to be a beastie especially with the Tri-Pier. If I went with the regular tripod for the iEQ45Pro would it be ok? The Tri-Pier and iEQ45Pro seems like a nice value though

Jon

Edited by Spacefreak1974, 20 December 2018 - 10:18 AM.

#406 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter
  • Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

Jon,

If you are going to visit NYC, I would skip Newark (unless you are staying by Penn station) and stay in Jersey City instead, JC has a much better downtown with great restaurants and a view of NYC that is about perfect. You also have the ferry and Path that connect you to NYC in minutes. You can get both to the World Trade Center station and also 34th Street. And JC is MUCH MUCH cheaper than NYC. If staying in JC go to the Roman Nose for Italian and the Iron Monkey for beers and the roof top bar. Below is JC.

About the mount, the 152 isn't super heavy or long but it is Heavy and longer than other scopes so it does tax lighter mounts. I don't know much about iOptron (and my experiences with the EQ25 haven't been great). I would say a CGEM/Atlas is probably the minimun for visual.

As to the focuser, I have the 3.7" one (but I use the APM for imaging) and its very nice and the larger focuser makes the scope better balanced.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7893.jpg

• SteveG likes this

#407 daquad

daquad

Apollo

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

This thread has sold me on the 152ED. OSO seems like a good option as I might be able to drive and get it. I'm in Indiana and it looks like 9-10 hours. Might make for a nice trip with my wife to visit NYC as well..might do one of the Newark hotels that have the shuttle that goes to Times Sq 3X per day and back...Hmmm

Or I could go to NEAF 2019 as that's another 2 hrs beyond OSO

I'm trying to think of mounting. I'd more use it for visual with 2" eyepieces with the heaviest being the 2.5lb 30mm ES 82. I'm looking at the iEQ45Pro as the head is lighter weight, but seems to be a beastie especially with the Tri-Pier. If I went with the regular tripod for the iEQ45Pro would it be ok? The Tri-Pier and iEQ45Pro seems like a nice value though

Jon

If you are going to buy it in PA, will you have to pay the 6% sales tax?  That comes to $150.  How does hat compare to their shipping costs.  Just something to consider.

Dom Q.

#408 jag32

jag32

Apollo

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:44 PM

I must admit I do miss my APM 152.  Aperture rules.

#409 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:23 AM

....here my test report:

0222.png

Wow..!! seems you got a great sample of this Apm ED152. Did you ask for a hand selected one when ordered? smile.gif

The test report on mine looks quite horrible compared to yours. Strehl is very good on mine though.

Mine haven't seen much use yet but what I noticed when it was in use was that it had extreme difficulty in acclimatizing! over 2 hours didn't get there.

Test report from mine:

Attached Thumbnails

• 0268-kopi.jpg
  • 268-startest-kopi.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#410 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:45 AM

....hi roadi, 

no it was not hamd selected, I just bought via teleskop-express germany. 

Concerning test reports, Mr Ludes from APM told me that the specifications on these scopes are quite tight in terms of QC. So he told me that you wont find visual or imaging differences. 

I am zero expert in this and would rely on his statement.

Concerning cool down: I havent noticed that, but I am an imager (DSO), so I dont observe at all. Thats why I dont give that much about the cool down period. Setting up the equipment takes me one hour already, making everything up and running another 30-40 minutes. Shooting sessions last 3-4hours....so I have not oticed a long cool down period....

• roadi likes this

#411 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:03 AM

Concerning test reports, Mr Ludes from APM told me that the specifications on these scopes are quite tight in terms of QC. So he told me that you wont find visual or imaging differences.

The numbers in my test report (#207) are the worst I've seen posted so far [P2V .354 / RMS .044 / STREHL .926]... Maybe I should ask for a refund?  

#412 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Why would you do that? You already said you were happy with the views.

#413 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

I was joking.  I didn't buy my 152 based on its test report, and I won't part with based on its report, either.

I learned in running DPAC tests on my refractors that the difference in patterns has to be pretty large for me to see it at the eyepiece -- like my near perfect Royal 76mm F15 versus a Unitron 75mm F15 with a less clean DPAC pattern. 

I favored APM because they provided reports, not so much in the data, but that the company had nothing to hide.  And, all those favorable threads & posts factored in, too.  (When I ordered mine, the S-W 150ED was still vapor-ware.)

Yes!  I'm thrilled with my APM 152.  Every view of every object at every magnification is excellent.  How many 6" scopes stay sharp at 400x?  2018 has been a mess, but from what I've seen, 500x is doable on nights with near-perfect seeing.  Nope, no complaints with the scope.

• doctordub, roadi and n2068dd like this

#414 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

....hi roadi, 

no it was not hamd selected, I just bought via teleskop-express germany. 

I am zero expert in this and would rely on his statement.

Concerning cool down: I havent noticed that, but I am an imager (DSO), so I dont observe at all. Thats why I dont give that much about the cool down period. Setting up the equipment takes me one hour already, making everything up and running another 30-40 minutes. Shooting sessions last 3-4hours....so I have not oticed a long cool down period....

Thanks CvBadengoth. Good to know these variations are slight or even unnoticed at the eyepieces.

#415 ryderc1

ryderc1

Viking 1

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:16 AM

Thanks CvBadengoth. Good to know these variations are slight or even unnoticed at the eyepieces.

Surprising given comments about P-V, in particular, made by Roland on the AP-UG Yahoo Group yesterday.

Edited by ryderc1, 25 December 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#416 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:35 PM

Surprising given comments about P-V, in particular, made by Roland on the AP-UG Yahoo Group yesterday.

First merry Christmas to all of you.

ryderc1, are we talking about the same thing? pv on surface polish or pv on accuracy on the figure of the lens? As I've understood it, the pv on the test report from the apm ed 152 is a measure of the figure accuracy and not the smoothness og surface. I could easily be wrong though as I´m a long way from expert on judging these reports :D

#417 ryderc1

ryderc1

Viking 1

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

I'm not at all well versed in the area of test reports. My understanding is that Roland's comments were related to the numbers often published in the test reports that some companies include with finished scopes for their customers.  If I interpreted his comments correctly Roland pointed out that P-V values are the best indicator of lens performance among the numbers typically contained in such test reports. Here are some excerpts from his comments:

"While Strehl ratio is all the rage these days, it really is not a great indicator of a premium lens. One can have P-V values of 1/2 wave and still have 90% Strehl lens". "RMS wavefront errors are a way to hide P-V values and don't show the extent of turned edge and other zonal problems", "RMS is not important". "As Peter Ceravolo once said, P-V takes no prisoners, everything else is just mush".  "Spherical aberration of 1/4 wave P-V will reduce planetary contrast visually and the view will be affected more in poor seeing than an equivalent perfect lens".

I've been surprised when seeing some of the APM 152 test report data posted on CN and in other venues by how relativeley unattractive some of the P-V values seem to be in relation to the strehl and RMS values shown in the same reports.  User comments about the performance of their scopes seem to be consistently positive.  And all that really matters is whether these users are happy with the performance of their scopes or not. 

Edited by ryderc1, 26 December 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#418 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:12 AM

One grain of dust will mess up the PV worse than any manufacturer would have any hopes of doing. That's why I clean my lenses twice before using the scope and only use them with the dust cap put back on immediately after cleaning. Never seen such pitch black skies before. Now I just have to figure out where the stars are.

Cheers, Emil

• doctordub, Bomber Bob and MGD like this

#419 drd715

drd715

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:30 PM

Another example of the APM 152 report.

20181226_222710.jpg

• roadi and Bomber Bob like this

#420 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:20 PM

How do you think an iOptron IEQ45PRO would do with this scope?

#421 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:22 AM

I'm not at all well versed in the area of test reports. My understanding is that Roland's comments were related to the numbers often published in the test reports that some companies include with finished scopes for their customers.  If I interpreted his comments correctly Roland pointed out that P-V values are the best indicator of lens performance among the numbers typically contained in such test reports. Here are some excerpts from his comments:

"While Strehl ratio is all the rage these days, it really is not a great indicator of a premium lens. One can have P-V values of 1/2 wave and still have 90% Strehl lens". "RMS wavefront errors are a way to hide P-V values and don't show the extent of turned edge and other zonal problems", "RMS is not important". "As Peter Ceravolo once said, P-V takes no prisoners, everything else is just mush".  "Spherical aberration of 1/4 wave P-V will reduce planetary contrast visually and the view will be affected more in poor seeing than an equivalent perfect lens".

I've been surprised when seeing some of the APM 152 test report data posted on CN and in other venues by how relativeley unattractive some of the P-V values seem to be in relation to the strehl and RMS values shown in the same reports.  User comments about the performance of their scopes seem to be consistently positive.  And all that really matters is whether these users are happy with the performance of their scopes or not. 

Funny, while RF Royce "Also a very respected optician" did write the opposite about the impotance of the strehl vs PV. Unfortunately for the public he has retired hence nothing to link to at his website anymore.

Edited by roadi, 27 December 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#422 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

I use mine with a IEQ 45 pro so long as you use slower slew rate it works ok

#423 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

I use mine with a IEQ 45 pro so long as you use slower slew rate it works ok

Would getting it with the tri pier add some additional stability?

#424 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

would be nice if we could see the other test reports that APM provides with their other scopes.  Would be a good way to see how the APM 152ED compares to other APO's

• roadi and Bomber Bob like this

#425 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

would be nice if we could see the other test reports that APM provides with their other scopes.  Would be a good way to see how the APM 152ED compares to other APO's

I`ll get mine next week and will post the test report in order that we all get a kind of data base for comparison. But this is just one side of the medal - as we all know - weather is so bad over here that a judement on real sky targets might take a while! But all reports here thrilled to pull the trigger!

Best Oliver

Edited by Astrohobby, 29 December 2018 - 11:26 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics