•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New 152 MM APM APO in the house!

• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#76 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

Same balance on my GM8 and my TMB 105/650 with the same size weight in the same place.  Does look nice and i just may jump on a used APM if one pops up used. Without the finder the weight was up more. So this 6" is about the same weight.

5wmgk6.jpg

So Chas, I'll tell you a little secret. Derek Wong has asked me to be hush hush about it because he's afraid their cost will go up and he likes purchasing them from time to time. The Thomas Back TMB triplets are the best of the best. Truly amazing refractors and they are actually at the very top of my list of favorite specimens. Truly amazing spherical correction and flawless color correction inside out. A good buddy of mine has this TMB in an 8" F9 and it's one of the greatest refractors I've ever examined planets with at the eyepiece. Derek has the 9" F9 and that one is absolutely excellent too. And the craziest thing is they're a freaking bargain when they come around. Okay, now back on topic.

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 10 August 2018 - 07:41 PM.

• Jeff B, Edrow10, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#77 daveCollins

daveCollins

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington DC

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

So Chas, I'll tell you a little secret. Derek Wong has asked me to be hush hush about it because he's afraid their cost will go up and he likes purchasing them from time to time. The Thomas Back TMB triplets are the best of the best. Truly amazing refractors and they are actually at the very top of my list of favorite specimens. Truly amazing spherical correction and flawless color correction inside out. A good buddy of mine has this TMB in an 8" F9 and it's one of the greatest refractors I've ever examined planets with at the eyepiece. Derek has the 9" F9 and that one is absolutely excellent too. And the craziest thing is they're a freaking bargain when they come around. Okay, now back on topic.

Daniel, 

I don't think the TMB part of this is the important aspect. Instead, I believe it is that the scopes that have LZOS optics which makes them superior. It is true that many of the scopes with his name on the scope have LZOS optics. In that sense, those TMB scopes tend to be very good. The reason for making this distinction is that most scopes that were built by the original LZOS team in Russia, as a part of the Russian military machine, are exceptional. It doesn't matter if the TMB is on the scope or not.

I believe the scopes that you mention that Derek Wong has are LZOS optics scopes. It was the LZOS engineers that were responsible for making superior optics. Credit goes to Thomas for designing the optics for some of these scopes.

Dave

• meade4ever and Paul Morow like this

#78 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:25 AM

It was the best lens i ever had. Perfect pure color and a easy 100x+ per inch scope.  Just hated the weight and over size OTA. I guess if the lens could have been put in a new 4" Tak OTA it would have been perfect.

Edited by CHASLX200, 11 August 2018 - 05:25 AM.

#79 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

Question about the APM 152:  Is it completely made/manufactured in Germany using German made components, or is it made by a Chinese company and resold under the APM label?  I'm very interested in buying this if it is the former.  Thanks.

The APM vendor has posted here that they do quite a bit of reworking the refractors when the arrive from China so you're getting some German hands on.  Today,  if you buy a BMW or Mercedes a lot of the components in them are made in China.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#80 jag32

jag32

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

Is the APM 152 better in any way, besides price, in comparison to the Takahashi TOA150?

#81 cam1936

cam1936

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:06 AM

Is the APM 152 better in any way, besides price, in comparison to the Takahashi TOA150?

Weight, price and cool down.

#82 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

Dan's on to something here. 

My LZOS lenses have been truly excellent and I agree that at current used prices, they are bargains in the high end pool.  Though you don't see them coming up for sale very often and there is a reason for that....they are really good.  

The only operational "issues" I had with my 175 F8 were weight and thermal.  The weight I took care of with an ATM OTA that cut it back a good 8-9 pounds.  The thermals I could not control other than restrict the use of the scope to late spring though mid fall around here.  Eventually, because of the temperature restriction, I sold the instrument but it took me several years to let it go.  My TMB 152 F8 has thermal lag as well (all scope do really) but not to the extent the 175 did.  So, I'm going to keep it for a while longer.  It is hands down, the best 152 aperture scope I've had.  Plus, I'm going to experiment with insulating the lens cell with Reflectix to see if I can delay or manage the thermal effects.  If I can manage them better, then I will lament selling the 175.

I find it interesting to compare the strehl plots for the 152 ED and 152 LZOS from APM's website.  The 152ED does very nicely indeed for a FPL-51 doublet, falling off only in the deep red and blue.  It is suppose to be similar visually to a 6" F30 which, if anyone remembers looking though a 3" F15, that is really pretty good (!).   

So here is a scope, the 152 ED, for around, or even less than, 1/2 the price of a used TMB/APM LZOS 152 F8 that seems like it can give 85-90% of the visual goods that the LZOS can deliver with less weight to boot.  What's not to like?  

Enjoy the new toy!!

Jeff

• peleuba, Paul Morow and Tyson M like this

#83 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter
  • Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:14 AM

It’s not really a fair comparison, ones around $3k the other is over $10k. It’s like this a Mercedes and a Honda both do the same thing. Some people need a Mercedes others are very happy with a Honda.
  • elwaine and SandyHouTex like this

#84 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:56 AM

Beautiful scope, congrats!  waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

I've been thinking about getting one to use visually while my A-P 130EDT is setup for imaging.  I think the A-P needs a European friend to keep it company. lol.gif

Chris

• hfjacinto likes this

#85 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:26 PM

Your new APM 152 is beautiful.  I have a couple of white 'scopes that have a bit of metallic in the finish also.  It makes for a very nice appearance.  I'm sure the optics will be wonderful.  smile.png

Question:  I don't see a handle in the pictures of the case.    Is there one on the end?  And if so, how do you lift and carry that monster?   scratchhead2.gif   

• hfjacinto likes this

#86 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

Could not resist ordering one after I saw this thread.  Sold me.waytogo.gif

• bob midiri and hfjacinto like this

#87 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:38 PM

Pearlescent white! Very nice.

It's like this scope just came out, with the level of hype and all. Between this and the SW 150 threads, I think most of us have been brainwashed into thinking we can simply not do without a 6" ED apo. 

Eyecrazy.gif

lol.gif

• hfjacinto and Defenderslideguitar like this

#88 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Could not resist ordering one after I saw this thread. Sold me.waytogo.gif

Johann Congrats!!! You will be impressed. I wish it would clear up hear, flash flood warnings :( I want to get first light. I wish I had more than a few hours of clearing this week otherwise I would use for imaging!!!!

#89 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:04 PM

Your new APM 152 is beautiful. I have a couple of white 'scopes that have a bit of metallic in the finish also. It makes for a very nice appearance. I'm sure the optics will be wonderful. smile.png

Question: I don't see a handle in the pictures of the case. Is there one on the end? And if so, how do you lift and carry that monster? scratchhead2.gif

Agatha,

There are handles on either side of the case, I’m in pretty good physical shape so I hold one side and cradle the case up s flight to my office (I work from home). If you are frail this scope and case are a beast.
  • Agatha likes this

#90 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:06 PM

Pearlescent white! Very nice.

It's like this scope just came out, with the level of hype and all. Between this and the SW 150 threads, I think most of us have been brainwashed into thinking we can simply not do without a 6" ED apo.

Eyecrazy.gif

lol.gif

You don’t have a 6” ED?? What is wrong? You can’t be an amateur astronomer without a 6” ED 😜😜😜
  • Starman81 likes this

#91 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

Beautiful scope, congrats! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif
I've been thinking about getting one to use visually while my A-P 130EDT is setup for imaging. I think the A-P needs a European friend to keep it company. lol.gif

Chris

Chris have you ordered yours yet ??? 😜😜
  • Chris Cook likes this

#92 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

if you do not order one from OSO in PA while they are in stock and before these new tariffs go into affect you will be sorry and feel like a fool.  Especially if you want one.

• hfjacinto likes this

#93 MGD

MGD

Mariner 2

• Loc: Interlaken NY

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

I thought the new tarrifs aren't going to apply to telescopes. At least that's what Mike at Astronomics stated he was told by his freight broker.

Mike

#94 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:19 PM

I think the tariffs are currently at 8% of the purchase price.

#95 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

Here is my test report, looks really close to the Stellarvue 70MM.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0245.jpg

• moshen, Chris Cook, Starman81 and 3 others like this

#96 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:34 PM

Ok, Wednesday looks partly cloudy, although there is a good chance seeing won't be great. I'm going to set up the 152MM for visual. Here are the objects I am going to go to:

Moon

Saturn

Vega

Epsilon Lyra

IC 7662

M39

I'll also try to image the moon (as I won't be able to do visual and DSO AP).

I'm planning on using the following eyepieces:

31MM Nagler

20MM ES 100*

9MM ES 100*

5.5MM ES 100*

3.5MM Nagler

The diagonal will be the Baader Max Bright.

I might use a Celestron OIII filter for IC 7662

I'm not going to do 600 power or look for faint fuzzies, I'm 17 miles west of NYC the moon is a faint fuzzy ;)

Thoughts?

#97 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: South West England

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

When I was testing the Skwatcher ED150 recently my targets included:

Within the Solar System Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. Stellar targets included Vega, Deneb, Altair and Polaris for star testing and colour control assessment. Double star targets included Epsilon Lyrae, Delta Cygni, the very challenging Lambda Cygni, Iota Cassiopeia and Pi Aquillae. Deep sky targets included the bright galaxies M31, M32, M81 and M82, planetary nebulae M57 and M27, globular cluster M71 and the “Double Cluster” NGCs 869 and 884.

Within M27 I went for the central star using high power (around 300x). No moon around when I was testing, unfortunately.

If Neptune rises to a decent height you might try for Triton with high magnifications (300x plus).

Have fun ! smile.gif

• hfjacinto and Bomber Bob like this

#98 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the list John, I can't do Mars as its blocked by a house and trees, Jupiter sets early and its blocked by the house, a few of the stars I can do. M81 and M82 are just lights no real detail. 

#99 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: South West England

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the list John, I can't do Mars as its blocked by a house and trees, Jupiter sets early and its blocked by the house, a few of the stars I can do. M81 and M82 are just lights no real detail. 

M82 should show it's dark rifts if the boost the magnification up to 100x plus.

I try and choose some targets that will push the scope / conditions / observer when testing. In the comfort zone, most scopes deliver the goods. Towards the edge of the performance envelope is when the differences show up.

#100 jag32

jag32

Apollo

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:32 AM

I also ordered an APM 152 tonight.
  • starman876, hfjacinto, Tyson M and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics