•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 90mm, F/6.7 Infinity Refractor OTA

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 fcathell

fcathell

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:38 AM

I picked up that Meade 90mm, F/6.7 "Infinity" refractor from Bill at Telescope Warehouse that was advertised in the CN classifieds a few days ago because I couldn't resist the $60 shipped price. I wasn't expecting much other than using it as a wide field, low power scope.  I was checking it out tonight and it does well with a 32mm eyepiece (19X) for Milky Way scanning. Focuser was smooth with no play and the star images looked pretty good.  Just for fun I put it on Saturn with a 6mm eyepiece in a 2X Barlow to get 200X and was absolutely blown away at the performance. Very minimal CA and Saturn was tack sharp with Titan and Rhea evident. I checked this against my trusty little ETX90 at the same power, and I couldn't tell the difference other than the refractor image was slightly brighter. This thing is almost as good as some expensive ED scopes I've looked through, at least on Saturn.  Has anyone else used one of these scopes and are they all like this or did I just get lucky?? If they are all like this one, the word "binocular" comes to mind!

Frank

• SteveG, Phil Barker, Sky Muse and 1 other like this

#2 erin

erin

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Mass

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

Hi Frank,

I am glad you are enjoying the scope! I have the Orion BX90, same specs as your Meade, and I really like it. Portable and wider field of view, but with enough focal length to do pretty well on the planets. I have used a Meade Infinity 102 and found the false color to be too much on the planets. Seems like 90 f6.7 is a sweet spot. I am not knocking the Infinity. The one I used was well made and fun to use, just not the right ratio for me. I have not looked thru an ED scope, so it is encouraging to know that some modest achros are pretty good!

Enjoy!

Edited by erin, 10 August 2018 - 07:07 AM.

• Ursa Minor likes this

#3 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Frank,

i picked one up as well for $60 from Bill at Telescope Warehouse.  He has a few left at that price.  Your description is spot on with what I saw.  I’m putting together a small grab and go package for friends and family to borrow, or use for kids at star parties. The scope focal ratio is a good balance between a fast f/5 and a longer f/9

Anyone looking for an inexpensive scope to add to their collection or to give away, this scope will be a great buy.  Just supply your own eyepiece, diagonal, and mount.  A simple homemade pipe mount will be good as well for this light scope

For adults looking to get a scope for kids this is a good choice 

#4 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Page, AZ US

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:28 AM

Well, my experience with the Inf 90 has been about the same - I have no complaints and was surprised the CA was as tame as it is. It's a good scope. Bill is a class act - he cares about what he ships out, very helpful, good advice - just all-a-round keen bean

#5 fcathell

fcathell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:11 AM

AstroKerr - I agree with your comments about Bill at Telescope Warehouse.  I've been dealing with him for over 10 years and never had any problems, and have gotten some incredible deals on excellent equipment.  I just sold an ES AR-102 because of the very noticeable CA for magnifications above 75X.  It was an excellent wide field scope with a super focuser, but hardly a multipurpose grab and go scope.  It was also heavy! The Infin 90 is light and certainly works great on Saturn.  I'll be anxious to check it out on Jupiter and the moon.

Frank

#6 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

AstroKerr - I agree with your comments about Bill at Telescope Warehouse. I've been dealing with him for over 10 years and never had any problems, and have gotten some incredible deals on excellent equipment. I just sold an ES AR-102 because of the very noticeable CA for magnifications above 75X. It was an excellent wide field scope with a super focuser, but hardly a multipurpose grab and go scope. It was also heavy! The Infin 90 is light and certainly works great on Saturn. I'll be anxious to check it out on Jupiter and the moon.

Frank

Maybe I'm going to the wrong place. Can someone post a link?

Clark
  • AstroKerr likes this

#7 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

Clark you can get it on his eBay store,, or on CN classifieds 

eBay

https://www.ebay.com...=item363167def3

CN

https://www.cloudyni...tube-excellent/

However it looks like the ones he posted on CN are sold.  You can always sent a message and ask Bill.  What a great guy to deal with

• Auburn80 and AstroKerr like this

#8 fcathell

fcathell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:25 PM

It's a good idea to keep an eye on his Ebay store.  He frequently gets either "overstock" or new-old stock stuff from major vendors (mostly Meade) which he sells at really good prices.  I've got my eye on that EQ-2 mount for my ETX and that 90mm refractor I just got. My alt-az is totally adequate for sky sweeping but not for using any significant magnification. My larger EQ mount is gross overkill for both.

Frank

• Sky Muse, Auburn80 and AstroKerr like this

#9 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Clark you can get it on his eBay store,, or on CN classifieds

eBay
https://www.ebay.com...=item363167def3

CN
https://www.cloudyni...tube-excellent/

However it looks like the ones he posted on CN are sold. You can always sent a message and ask Bill. What a great guy to deal with

Maybe I'm a klutz Tony but all I see on eBay are the f10s.

Good to know re: contacting him. I may give that a shot.

Clark
  • AstroKerr likes this

#10 starcam

starcam

Viking 1

• Loc: MD

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

It is linked to a polaris f10 90mm, your not a klutz. I looked through his ebay store, f6.7 seem to be gone.

Edited by starcam, 10 August 2018 - 10:01 PM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#11 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:58 PM

Maybe I'm a klutz Tony but all I see on eBay are the f10s.

Good to know re: contacting him. I may give that a shot.

Clark

Yeah my fault.  I could have sworn that I had picked the f6.7.  Anyway he is out of them.   Give him a call he might get more

• Auburn80 and AstroKerr like this

#12 Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis, Mo. USA

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info regarding this seller. I'm always on the hunt for bargains, and this chap may be able to help with that.

• AstroKerr likes this

#13 Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:24 PM

I just bid on one of his items, here's hoping I actually win it.

#14 Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

And I did win it; Meade 9.7mm Super Plössl eyepiece, and a really good price too.

#15 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:56 PM

Congratulations Kevin 

#16 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:39 PM

Way to go, Kev! New EPs are fun - best part is having another option when viewing.

Frank, you gotta know - Tall Man's been scaring me since Phantasm first came out - excellent avatar choice! I'm waiting on an ES AR127 on the twinky/twilight mount to come in - Escher did a nice write up here https://www.cloudyni...t-light-review/ , said the CA wasn't too bad - but that was 6 yrs ago, so I'm wonderin' which way they've drifted since then. Anyways, I needed something, and there was a sale, + discount and the twilight mount looks interesting, tho undersized for the 127 - still - got other tubes for the twilight. Doc Bob (CN) recommends a Baader SemiAPO filter to help with any CA. After your ref to the AR102 & CA, I'll be looking closer. Thanks for the info!

Ya know, it's kinda nice that even our used, mass produced lowly achros can offer some fantastic views - maybe I'm still green, but I just get a thrill every time I see something I can't see bare eyes, and when it's thru an inexpensive tube - that's just the tiger's stripes, ain't it? and it frees up resources for better whatevers, and that's always a help. Doesn't hurt either that Infinitys look cool.

Jim 

• fcathell likes this

#17 fcathell

fcathell

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:26 AM

Interesting comment Jim.  I love the more detailed views in larger scopes but there is just something intriguing and satisfying about being able to catch 4 of Saturn's moons in my little ETX90 or scan the Milky Way with that 90mm, F/6.5 Meade refractor I got from Scopehed for $60. If you are into ham radio also like I am, working QRP (less than 5 watts power) and making a contact thousands of miles away is also satisfying. Large aperture and high power can always "get the job done", but it's much more fun to put some "sport" in it. I have a close friend who also likes astronomy and radio but "poo-poos" my idea of sporting with these hobbies. His philosophy is max aperture and max power all the time.

By the way, on that Tall Man thing - I actually met Angus Scrimm (real name is Larry Guy) when he was working for Capitol Records in LA as an album cover editor about a year before he was in the first Phantasm movie.  Really nice man, very soft spoken and polite. I didn't realize who it was in the movie until I saw what his real name was about a year later. He had to use the stage name "Angus Scrimm" to avoid being noticed in his regular jobs! I think he also taught journalism at one of the local LA universities. Really a funny story. He just died last year at 90.

Frank

#18 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Vostok 1

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:12 AM

Sorry to hear about his death, but it nice to get some background on Larry/Angus - he really 'made' the Phantasms - seemed perfect casting, effective casting. He acted that role without seeming, to me, to be a character in movie - maybe that's why the image has been so haunting. Now, no kidding, last night I got to bed late and ended up in an analog kinda nightmare with Phantasm-ic elements - lotta running and hiding - and I bumped into Angus - we were both hiding under some hydroponic beds from morphoids I call'em - looked like the lil fellas from Phantasm, only full sized, no robes, dressed in regular clothes. He shushed me as I was about to have a panic attack because the morphoids were just a couple feet away - RIGHT THERE!. We suffered thru their search, and made it out and on our way to a safe house we both knew about. "We must stay quiet, boy. Very quiet. You did well." - struck me as a nice sort of fellow - and we snuck down the hills to the small town, to a basement, where my girlfriend from the year Phantasm came out was keeping watch. She smiled at Angus and gave me the stink-eye. Figgers.

I had an uncle who lived in Florida when he wasn't running from the FCC for overpowered / illegal radios. Hid out with my mom and sis and I a couple times - he was wild - 10kW, 50kW - his mobile was 1.25kW moving, 5kW parked. Got me interested enough to get licensed and become a radio repairer in the army. Never made sense, the big power - like you said QRP gets you all over the world, and even into orbit - so I never got why he went big, other than he built everything himself and just wanted to do it. But even I thought he was more annoyance, in that respect, than an RF Freeman / Pioneer.

I was peeking around looking at Infinitys again, decided to order a 50 - $30 - gotta see if it's decent or not - lotta bad reviews of it, but mostly from first-timers expecting something like ETX performance - so I wanna know. Last 50 I had was a 'Tasco' - probably a knock-off - no glass all plastic. I binned the whole thing, which was hard to do, but it couldn't image trees in daylight, or the moon at night - not collimation, seemed to be a warped, hazed objective - just horrid. So, I just gotta know what's up with the 50 infinity - it it really as bad as some folk have said, or is it just lack of understanding / information? I'd like to believe Meade wouldn't put 'trash' in a box -  that would counter any future sales, nie? Anyways, we shall see! I know the mount's doodoo - that's okay for me.

Yeah, getting the most out of something, mmmm, 'underpar' is a kick - very satisfying.

Clear Skies & Sharp Eyes,

Jim

Edited by AstroKerr, 07 September 2018 - 05:14 AM.

#19 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:20 AM

F/6.7 is not bad for a 90mm.  I have one of Mr. Vorce's telescopes coming as well, and scheduled to arrive on Monday.

#20 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

F/6.7 is not bad for a 90mm.  I have one of Mr. Vorce's telescopes coming as well, and scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Alan,

I see a new thread on the Meade 90mm modifications coming soon lol.gif

If I recall you mentioned that you had finished up your supply of flocking.. time to restock 

• Sky Muse likes this

#21 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:15 AM

Alan,

I see a new thread on the Meade 90mm modifications coming soon lol.gif

If I recall you mentioned that you had finished up your supply of flocking.. time to restock 

Indeed you shall.  And guess what.  The Antares used up only this...

flocking2b.jpg

That huge piece in the center was untouched. whee.gif

Incidentally, what makes you think that it's a 90mm?  Mr. Vorce currently has 18 telescopes for sale.  It could be this one, or that one, ad inifinitum...

http://www.ebaystore...d=p4634.c0.m322

Guess. lol.gif

#22 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:26 AM

My bet is still on the 90mm grin.gif

• Sky Muse and johrich like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics