•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Best DSLR Planetary of 2018

dslr Maksutov planet imaging
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:44 AM

I'm still trying to wrap up my planetary captures so I can go back to DSOs…the Southern Hemisphere awaits! Yet here I am again, now with some color on Venus even…

(click for full size)

BestOf2018.jpg

I can't help but marvel at the fact that hours and hours of capture, gigabytes of data, days and days of processing, and 5 months of learning can all be boiled down to a single frame of 230 kB of data…

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 10 August 2018 - 10:16 AM.

• otocycle, Starman27, elwaine and 19 others like this

#2 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:35 AM

Wonderful images! I am stunned by the amount of detail you are able to get on Jupiter & Saturn. What gear did you use for these images? Thanks for sharing ..... Anil

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

Wonderful images! I am stunned by the amount of detail you are able to get on Jupiter & Saturn. What gear did you use for these images? Thanks for sharing ..... Anil

Thanks, mate! Now I feel like I'm compiling the credits for a movie…

Hardware & software details are as follows:

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 10 August 2018 - 10:32 AM.

• gfstallin likes this

#4 elwaine

elwaine

Vanguard

• Loc: Jupiter

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

Amazing! So much detail wrung out of a 7" telescope. Your devotion to the art/hobby and your long hours of hard work definitely paid off. Truly inspirational. 

Thanks for sharing.

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:14 AM

Amazing! So much detail wrung out of a 7" telescope. Your devotion to the art/hobby and your long hours of hard work definitely paid off. Truly inspirational. 

Thanks for sharing.

Larry,

Thanks for the kind words, mate! I had a lot of good feedback on these forums to help identify many of the parameters for experimentation…

BQ

#6 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

This is amazing! I don't really know much about eyepiece projection. Isn't that basically where you use the camera and a T adapter to view through the telescope's eyepiece?

#7 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

This is amazing! I don't really know much about eyepiece projection. Isn't that basically where you use the camera and a T adapter to view through the telescope's eyepiece?

Edit... I also wonder how well collimated I need to be. I've been fiddling with that for a while, trying to get it right, and I've run into a few small snags. One of which is that when I get perfectly concentric rings on an inward defocus, the outward defocus shows a slight irregularity. If I try to adjust for the outward defocus, the inward is then out.

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:21 AM

Edit... I also wonder how well collimated I need to be. I've been fiddling with that for a while, trying to get it right, and I've run into a few small snags. One of which is that when I get perfectly concentric rings on an inward defocus, the outward defocus shows a slight irregularity. If I try to adjust for the outward defocus, the inward is then out.

Yep, eyepiece projection is pretty basic:

IMG_20190406_190516753.jpg

IMG_20190406_190401521.jpg

In 2017 I experimented with Plössls and a fancy projection adapter; for the 2018 planetary season I upgraded the eyepieces and downgraded the adapter. The extendable adapter had some major problems—it turns out there's a distance limit between the eyepiece and the sensor above which you get strange ghost artifacts that degrade the image quality. And it was at the absolute limit in its most compact configuration. So my current adapter's design is simply a T-thread extension tube with an interior ridge and a side screw to hold the eyepiece in place.

Orthoscopics eyepieces with a narrow FOV (Abbes in particular) produce the sharpest, highest contrast images of any eyepiece design. With projection through the Skywatcher 180, a 12.5mm works perfectly for Jupiter and fairly well for Mars near opposition (though I used a 9mm on Mars later in the season to get more pixels across the disk). The 18mm worked better for Saturn because of its dimness; I then used 2x output size from the stacker.

As for collimation, I simply used the Skywatcher as shipped; I've only recently delved into trying to collimate it. I have not noticed the hysteresis you mention.

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 01 May 2019 - 03:42 AM.

#9 Merk

Merk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus, Nicosia

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:15 AM

EXCELLENT images sir!!

I have a 10 inch and a dedicated planetary camera and the level of details is the same! (of course my planets are low but that is not the point)

You have shown people that you don't need a dedicate planetary camera to to the job.

DSLRs rule for planetary and DSO. dedicated cameras are just ripoff! Wish my nikon had a liveview framerate  like canons. 

Thanks for posting and hope you post it also in the planetary imaging, to open some eyes (and minds)!

#10 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:36 AM

EXCELLENT images sir!!

I have a 10 inch and a dedicated planetary camera and the level of details is the same! (of course my planets are low but that is not the point)

You have shown people that you don't need a dedicate planetary camera to to the job.

DSLRs rule for planetary and DSO. dedicated cameras are just ripoff! Wish my nikon had a liveview framerate  like canons. 

Thanks for posting and hope you post it also in the planetary imaging, to open some eyes (and minds)!

Cheers, mate!

AstroDSLR on my Macbook Pro could only muster 9.9 fps (best case) out of my T3i. So 100 seconds (the most I could stack without rotation smudging) was 1000 frames. I think the Nikon frame rate is on par with the Canon on a Windows box (~20 fps), isn't it?

BQ

• Merk likes this

#11 Merk

Merk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cyprus, Nicosia

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:01 AM

Cheers, mate!

AstroDSLR on my Macbook Pro could only muster 9.9 fps (best case) out of my T3i. So 100 seconds (the most I could stack without rotation smudging) was 1000 frames. I think the Nikon frame rate is on par with the Canon on a Windows box (~20 fps), isn't it?

BQ

I don't remember exactly I think between 5-10 frames. The other problem was that nikon don't provide 1 to 1 sampling video in liveview. I use Backyard nikon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics