•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cheap autoguider?

astrophotography beginner equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Henry_Hird

Henry_Hird

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:55 AM

Could you guys recommend a cheap camera + guide scope combination? 

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

What are you trying to guide? How cheap is cheap? This setup for about $300, and free PHD2 might get you going:

https://smile.amazon...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon...L70_&dpSrc=srch

• AndrewXnn likes this

#3 Messierthanwhat

Messierthanwhat

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

I'm currently using a Zwo ASI120mc camera, attached to an off-brand 200mm f/4 Pentax-mount SLR camera lens. The camera currently sells for about $170 new from vendors who have it in stock, and used ones are selling for even less. The lens was an $8 find at a thrift store. I used this lens because it had a substantial tripod foot that I could use for mounting it, which is sort of unusual, but not really rare. Also, for the camera to come to infinity focus, I had to add a 30mm T2 extender between the lens and the camera, and found that I now get infinity focus at the lens marking for about 15 feet. Total cost for the camera, lens and extender is quite a bit less than $200. This setup works great for guiding my Orion Sirius mount with PHD2.

To do things perfectly, I should also have added a T-ring adapting the M42 lens threads to the T2 extender, but that would have called for a shorter extender that I didn't have at that moment. So, in this instance I really didn't care whether I damaged the threads at that connection, and just torqued the class-B fit tight enough that I'll probably never be able to separate them.

In retrospect, I do wish I had bought the ASI120mm (monochrome) version of the camera, but the OSC version  - with dark frames applied - has always found calibrate-able and usable guide stars within the field of view on the targets I've wanted to shoot.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics