•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A little advice

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 theoatc

theoatc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:45 AM

After 2 years with EAA,i decided that ap is my thing. So ,i sold my nexstar evo 6 ,bought an eq6 r pro and now looking for a new OTA. My imaging camera will be the atik infinity color (leftover drom my EAA days, but i can't afford to buy a new one right now).
I am amongst sw BKED 80 Black Diamond,or the 100,
and an edge hd 8 (with a reducer).
Pros and cons of each?
Thanks for your time.

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

Going with the refractor will make your start into AP much easier than the Edge even with the reducer.  There are many targets to start with using a smaller refractor that will be more forgiving as you learn guiding, balance, alignment, etc.

• Stelios, pkrallis and AndrewXnn like this

#3 pkrallis

pkrallis

Sputnik

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

Warren is probably correct but we all succumb to aperture fever so if cost is a consideration you can trade convenience for $$$ by starting with the 8" Edge.  Good luck with which ever choice you make.

peter...

• theoatc likes this

#4 AndrewXnn

AndrewXnn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mexico, NY

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

Suggest looking thru Astrobin to find pictures taken with the actual scope that you are interested in.

#5 theoatc

theoatc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

Thanks a lot for suck quick replies. I ve been imaging with my c6 ,with a focal reducer meade 0,63,on eq6, so i have tipped my toes into guiding ,balance,etc.
I am not afraid of those difficulties.
The only serious con of the edge is the narrower fov. That ' s what bothers me the most.
On the other hand , small refractors aren't so famous for the hd images they produce.Correct? Fov sacrifices clarity and detail.

Edited by theoatc, 10 August 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#6 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

At some point, you're going to come to realize that you need various FLs to image all that's out there. There are a couple different things that you can do - the EdgeHD 8" can be a good scope for a variety of reasons - it allows you to use it in a HyperStar configuration, at around F2.8 or something like that. That is pretty fast, gives you a very wide field of view and should not tax your guiding/mount/etc. It will also be a good scope for the upcoming winter months with nebulae imaging. The only downside is that you are likely going to be stuck with color imaging on that one (I see you have an OSC, not sure if that will work in a HyperStar configuration or not). Eventually, when you do get bored by the HyperStar configuration (or when spring/summer approaches and you want to image galaxies) - you can use the EdgeHD 8" with either a reducer or without to image galaxies. That will be a bit more taxing on the mount and such, but its not that difficult as some people would have you believe. 

In all honesty, I would go with the EdgeHD and depending on how you feel about guiding and such, either use it in HyperStar mode or just regular FL (or even reduced).

CS!

• pbunn likes this

#7 theoatc

theoatc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:51 AM

Searching, i found this
https://www.teleskop...AP-Focuser.html.

Looks like a good deal for a triplet. Any opinions on it?
  • 2ghouls likes this

#8 2ghouls

2ghouls

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:07 AM

Searching, i found this
https://www.teleskop...AP-Focuser.html.

Looks like a good deal for a triplet. Any opinions on it?

That would be an excellent choice, especially if you get a field flattener with it.  Not sure on your location, but if you are in the USA, this scope from our sponsor Astronomics  is the exact same scope (just different branding).  And here is a matched flattener/reducer for it.

• theoatc likes this

#9 theoatc

theoatc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

That would be an excellent choice, especially if you get a field flattener with it.  Not sure on your location, but if you are in the USA, this scope from our sponsor Astronomics  is the exact same scope (just different branding).  And here is a matched flattener/reducer for it.

Actually , i am writing from Greece. I've done my research around here and opinions are against it. CA is more than obvious ,even if it is a triplet. I am really lost now. 

#10 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

Are you sure the AT version has a FPL-53 element in there? I don't see it mentioned in the specs (it only says ED center element, but does not specify which one).

CS!

#11 2ghouls

2ghouls

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:11 AM

Actually , i am writing from Greece. I've done my research around here and opinions are against it. CA is more than obvious ,even if it is a triplet. I am really lost now. 

Hmm, interesting. I haven't seen any CA with that scope in the example pics I've seen online (like this), but I am not an owner.  I did used to own the first refractor you mentioned, the Skywatcher 80ED black diamond with matched 0.85x reducer/flattener.  I don't regret owning it as it was great to learn on, and I didn't experience much CA with that scope either. I only sold it as I really wanted a different refractor with a similar aperture/f.l. (SVQ86).

#12 2ghouls

2ghouls

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

Are you sure the AT version has a FPL-53 element in there? I don't see it mentioned in the specs (it only says ED center element, but does not specify which one).

CS!

I am not 100% positive, but every detail including the photos is the same except for AT not mentioning the FPL-53. That doesn't surprise me as I often find the TS-Optics website gives more details about a scope than the duplicate scope from Stellarvue, Astronomic, Williams Optics, etc. I should have worded it better though to suggest it was my educated guess.

#13 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

I am not 100% positive, but every detail including the photos is the same except for AT not mentioning the FPL-53. That doesn't surprise me as I often find the TS-Optics website gives more details about a scope than the duplicate scope from Stellarvue, Astronomic, Williams Optics, etc. I should have worded it better though to suggest it was my educated guess.

While there are certain scopes that are commonly sourced from the same manufacture, I doubt if the entire line up is same across all retailers. By that what I mean is, the TS Optics scope may very well have FPL-53, but the AT one may not. In fact, I believe Astronomics stopped advertising FPL-53 (or equivalent) scopes starting with the current line up of refractor scopes that they sell.

I have SV130T, and Vic has not confirmed whether it has a FPL-53 glass in it (if I am not mistaken, on the SV Yahoo group, he did mention a different glass), however, it is a very well corrected for any CA. Compare this with the TS 130 version - theirs has a FPL-53 glass. Also compare with AT's 130 - they only mention ED glass. 

CS! 

#14 theoatc

theoatc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

I ve narrowed the search to three scopes.
1. Skywatcher ed 80 pro -black diamond(https://www.planitar...ck-diamond.html).
2. TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 80mm f/6 FPL53 Triplet APO (https://www.teleskop...gen-Auszug.html)
3. Vixen Apochromatic refractor AP 80/600 ED80Sf OTA (https://www.astrosho...ab_bar_2_select).
All three are within my current budget. No room for a fr/ff at the moment. I will try to use my meade fr ,as i have read it might work ,with infinity's medium size chip.
So ?final thoughts?

Edited by theoatc, 13 August 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#15 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

I ve narrowed the search to three scopes.
1. Skywatcher ed 80 pro -black diamond(https://www.planitar...ck-diamond.html).
2. TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 80mm f/6 FPL53 Triplet APO (https://www.teleskop...gen-Auszug.html)
3. Vixen Apochromatic refractor AP 80/600 ED80Sf OTA (https://www.astrosho...ab_bar_2_select).
All three are within my current budget. No room for a fr/ff at the moment. I will try to use my meade fr ,as i have read it might work ,with infinity's medium size chip.
So ?final thoughts?

I would get the F/6 scope. The Atik infinity has a small FOV. You want to maximize it as much as possible. 

• 2ghouls likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics