•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW 127 Mak: poopy scope or just normal?

beginner Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:33 AM

Just received a new SW 127 mak, and I'm wondering if I should complain about it.

The primary has two pieces of debris on it.  Like breadcrumbs, big enough to easily be seen from outside the lens.  Maybe from the holes that were drilled for the dovetail or finder bracket.

There is missing paint in many places along the white trim that meets the lens cap, and I see paint is stuck on the inside of the lens cap.  But there appears to be much more paint missing than is inside the lens cap.

The inside of the lens cap also looks like someone pooped diarrhea on it, let it dry, and then gave it a rinse.  I should check if it can be cleaned away.  

The knurled ring of the visual back has signs of wear, although I suppose it could look like this merely as a result of very cheap construction.

There are small blemishes along the white trim at the top.  Perhaps this is normal.  The lens has minor debris on the inside.  Perhaps also normal.  The outside of the lens was filthy, white dusty particles all around (more of the missing paint but I still doubt it accounts for all the missing paint).  Luckily the lens looks clean now (on the outside at least) after using my air blower tool.

I just like to get what I pay for, so thank you for your help in advising whether what I've described is "normal."

Is getting the debris off the primary possible?  Is this recommended?

Thanks so much in advance for the help.

• db2005 likes this

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

Maybe during Planet-Mania this year, too many of these scopes were produced in a hurry, with poor quality control in place. Personally, I would definitely contact the vendor and insist on a replacement. Just the "two pieces of debris on the primary" would prompt me to complain. But I am fussy.

• Joe1950, Buzz Lightyear and db2005 like this

#3 db2005

db2005

Viking 1

• Loc: Urban dweller, Denmark

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

I sounds like you received an item previously used for some time and then returned by a previous owner. But a few pictures would be nice.

Optical performance isn't likely to be appreciably affected by the particles you describe, but I would be more concerned with why the scope was used and returned... could it be a "lemon"?

Paint was also flaking off in a few places around the rim on the aperture of my SW 150PL Newtonian, but the telescope was in otherwise pristine condition, so I didn't complain to the dealer about it.

• Buzz Lightyear likes this

#4 scadvice

scadvice

Mariner 2

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

I'd call and complain that it arrived in unacceptable condition and wish to send it back for a replacement. They most likely will want you to send them pictures. Not a big deal to do.  Did you check it for image quality?

You did not say where you purchased it from but most well known dealers will work it out for you.

Edited by scadvice, 10 August 2018 - 10:46 AM.

• Buzz Lightyear and db2005 like this

#5 RyanSem

RyanSem

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:54 AM

The inside of the lens cap also looks like someone pooped diarrhea on it, let it dry, and then gave it a rinse.  I should check if it can be cleaned away.  

You have a way with words lol.gif

I would absolutely be contacting the company if this is the quality I received. 

• Joe1950, Buzz Lightyear and db2005 like this

#6 petert913

petert913

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

I would return it for exchange.  You paid a lot of money for it.

#7 Joe1950

Joe1950

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South New Jersey

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:56 AM

If it has great optics (if you can check with reliable results) keep it. If it has average optics or worse have it exchanged.

Reason I say this is you can exchange it and get a scope that is not as good optically. To me, that is more important than the blems, that can be fixed. My rule is, never let go of a scope with excellent optics.

shrug.gif  Confusious say; “Poopy optics much worse than poopy lens cap.”

Edited by Joe1950, 10 August 2018 - 11:57 AM.

• ad701xx, Asbytec, Axunator and 3 others like this

#8 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

Send it back! ! !

#9 fcathell

fcathell

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:07 PM

My God! Bread crumbs and poop in a new scope! This scope must have been QCed by a politician!

FC

• elwaine, Joe1950, Ohmless and 2 others like this

#10 Joe1950

Joe1950

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

Either that, Frank, or it was assembled during lunch/break time at Synta.

#11 Starman27

Starman27

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

We do not need a picture of the inside of the lens cap.shocked.gif 

• Joe1950 and Buzz Lightyear like this

#12 fcathell

fcathell

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

LOL Joe!  It must have been a pretty nasty "pot luck" lunch at Synta!

FC

#13 Joe1950

Joe1950

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

lol.gif  Not uncommon at all.

I just look at it this way crazyeyes.gif . If by luck you got a scope that has excellent optics, the chances of getting a replacement such as that would be probebly less than 50-50, if that.

If you can get a look at Jupiter, Saturn or Mars and the view is 'jaw dropping' for a 127mm Mak, I'd definitely keep it. From what people who really do a lot of optical testing say, most production scopes are in the average zone, 1/5 λ, 1/4 λ or even 1/3 λ, which isn't even really too good. Some are worse at 1/2 λ.

And some come out at 1/7 λ, 1/8 λ, or better which is very, very good. But not all that common.

Although the consistency has been said to be better over the years, there is still some variation as I know personally.

It's possible the scope was returned and isn't a good sample. But I'd at least have a look see, and if it a very good optic, I personally would hold on to it, do-do and all!

Just my opinion shrug.gif , and everyone is entitled to my opinion.

ADDED: In either case, keep it or not, I'd let whomever know what you received. 

Edited by Joe1950, 10 August 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#14 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:13 PM

Send it back jack.  Or try to blow air down the hole and see if that helps.

#15 Bean614

Bean614

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

Send it back to the Retailer!! (Not SW).  There are several retailers who are known to ship 'returned' items as 'New'.  They have no scruples, nor moral compass, and freely admit to doing it.  In the future, try to stay away from those mega camera/electronics stores.

• MortonH and Buzz Lightyear like this

#16 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

I'd be concerned there are other issues that you can't see yet. Send it back.

#17 Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

I sounds like you received an item previously used for some time and then returned by a previous owner. But a few pictures would be nice.

Optical performance isn't likely to be appreciably affected by the particles you describe, but I would be more concerned with why the scope was used and returned... could it be a "lemon"?

Paint was also flaking off in a few places around the rim on the aperture of my SW 150PL Newtonian, but the telescope was in otherwise pristine condition, so I didn't complain to the dealer about it.

Here you can see the poop nebula and same paint residue around the edges.  I took only this photo when I opened everything up, so I'll have to take more later - at least for the vendor.  Maybe a video would be easier.

SW mak 127 - POOP NEBULA.jpg  

#18 Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:05 PM

If it has great optics (if you can check with reliable results) keep it. If it has average optics or worse have it exchanged.

Reason I say this is you can exchange it and get a scope that is not as good optically. To me, that is more important than the blems, that can be fixed. My rule is, never let go of a scope with excellent optics.

shrug.gif  Confusious say; “Poopy optics much worse than poopy lens cap.”

Good point!

I'm not able to check if it has "great optics" at the moment.  I'm a beginner crazy.gif

• Joe1950 likes this

#19 Joe1950

Joe1950

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

It's easier said than done, anyway! I've been at this for over 50 years and checking for good optics still confuses me.

Probably best to head the others and send it back. Who knows what the thing has been through and what else may poop er pop up.

#20 Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

If you can get a look at Jupiter, Saturn or Mars and the view is 'jaw dropping' for a 127mm Mak, I'd definitely keep it. From what people who really do a lot of optical testing say, most production scopes are in the average zone, 1/5 λ, 1/4 λ or even 1/3 λ, which isn't even really too good. Some are worse at 1/2 λ.

ADDED: In either case, keep it or not, I'd let whomever know what you received. 

Thank you for the input, everyone.  It sounds like I should ask for a replacement.  I wouldn't know what is "jaw-dropping for a 127 mak" confused1.gif

#21 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:22 PM

Here you can see the poop nebula and same paint residue around the edges.  I took only this photo when I opened everything up, so I'll have to take more later - at least for the vendor.  Maybe a video would be easier.

attachicon.gif SW mak 127 - POOP NEBULA.jpg

Looks like the front cover to me?

#22 dweller25

dweller25

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

attachicon.gif SW mak 127 - POOP NEBULA.jpg

Looks like release agent from the mould - quite standard ??

Edited by dweller25, 11 August 2018 - 03:46 PM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#23 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

shrug.gif Confusious say; “Poopy optics much worse than poopy lens cap.”

Confuse-us was ahead of his time.

Hey, I had actual bat poop deposited on my prestine, brand spanking new, fresh out of the box meniscus, some fell on my finder objective, and a bit landed in my hair. I tried to return the poop to the sender, but no use. A good cleaning was in order.

#24 Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:10 AM

Looks like release agent from the mould - quite standard ??

I see.  I wouldn't care much about the poopy-looking cap if it were the only thing, but the debris on the mirror plus all the blemishes has me concerned.

Instead of asking for a replacement, I may get the ES 127 mak instead.  It should offer slightly potentially better views (from what I've read, operating primary size is larger) assuming optical quality is the same, is about $100 less right now, and comes with a fantastic mount (Twilight Nano) for my Galileoscope cool.gif.  

Edited by Buzz Lightyear, 12 August 2018 - 08:31 AM.

• Joe1950 likes this

#25 PXR-5

PXR-5

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

Just send it back ;)
Normally they are great scopes. This is actually the first time I've heard of a bad one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics