•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

All sky cams? Anything new out there?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 George P Dunham

George P Dunham

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Crawford,CO USA

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:37 PM

I have a Mallicam Allsky cam which turned out to be the earlier narrow field.  I basically got ripped off on a non-existant return policy.  Anywho..checking to see what else is out there besides $$$ SBIG and SX Oculus..Ok but I don't like the software.  

Anybody have experience with the Alcor Alphea 6CL all sky camera.  Pretty expensive but the software looks very cool.

#2 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

Although this is a post from a year and a half ago,  I can now reply.

I purchased the Alcor-system.com's Alphea 6CL in October, and yes it is expensive.  

As background, I have previously used StarLight Xpress' Oculus all sky camera with their software and with the free AllSkyEye software developed by Michael Poelzl.  

I am in the middle of writing an experience article for cloudynights describing the installation and use of the Alphea. 

Things to know before buying:

• The camera enclosure and connectors are ruggedized. Better than Oculus.
  • The manual is very incomplete.
  • User interface takes a lot of getting used to.
  • There is no user support forum
  • Support is only through a very busy developer who has little patience.
  • There is a licensing method that ties the Alphea/ZWO serial number to the SkyWatch software - which has failed twice on me causing lots of lost time.
  • I estimate that the free AllSkyEye software implements most all of what SkyWatch software has.  An important difference is that with the AllSkyEye software the star and constellation overlay is not completed but I'd expect this would be remedied with a future release.

I can go on, and I will, when I finish my article which in now 7 pages long.  I attached an image obtained last night (SQM=19.5) that shows the star overlay. No doubt that is cool.  I live is suburban southern california and our weather has not been very cooperative.  On a good early morning I will get an SQM=20.5

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• tn_2020_01_17__19_11_23.jpg

#3 LDW47

LDW47

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:27 PM

If you are going to buy another cam why not buy another Mallincam, their newer models, I think they are still the best bang for the $ after I studied and compared various All Skies. I am in the process of ...... !

#4 fxmodels

fxmodels

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:02 PM

If you are going to buy another cam why not buy another Mallincam, their newer models, I think they are still the best bang for the $ after I studied and compared various All Skies. I am in the process of ...... !

I would suspect the main reason is that mallincam doesnt have any to offer any longer... !

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

I would suspect the main reason is that mallincam doesnt have any to offer any longer... !

Thats interesting I will have to look into that, last time I looked they were expanding their AllSky product line to at least four models from two. They also had at least one US distributor !

#6 fxmodels

fxmodels

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

Thats interesting I will have to look into that, last time I looked they were expanding their AllSky product line to at least four models from two. They also had at least one US distributor !

It says out of stock on the only camera they show. Moon Glow technologies was another I looked into but they stopped making the cams years ago. It really comes down to the grossly overpriced Alcor and the moderately priced Oculus. Unless you want to DIY an all sky cam. Not HARD but weather will cause problems unless you can hermetically seal and keep dew out using a permanently installed dew heater.

Just my thoughts.

Marc

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

It says out of stock on the only camera they show. Moon Glow technologies was another I looked into but they stopped making the cams years ago. It really comes down to the grossly overpriced Alcor and the moderately priced Oculus. Unless you want to DIY an all sky cam. Not HARD but weather will cause problems unless you can hermetically seal and keep dew out using a permanently installed dew heater.

Just my thoughts.

Marc

You are correct, they are out of stock. The only other company that I was considering was the ZWO line of cams that could be used as an AllSky, I don’t remember which models but their prices weren’t too bad but I decided to go with Mallincam because they were designed and made in Canada and their price of course. I may give them a call, maybe tomorrow !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics