•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars from Perth again, 11/8/18, vg seeing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HentySky

HentySky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:11 AM

The attached image was taken on my second night in Perth WA.  I had some good seeing on my first night, the second even better.  The attached image is probably my best to date.  Again I dragged the C14 out to the back of the unit where we were staying to catch the sky between the back fence and the roof gutter.  The image of Mars in the eyepiece was the steadiest I have ever seen it.

The image was recorded on the ASI290MM and I recorded luminance and RGB SER channels.  The processing of the luminance channel came out extremely well.  I have to thank Darryl and Pete on their advice in my previous post for managing ring artefacts during image processing.  The artefacts however were relatively minor comparing to the images from the previous night.   

On the image Olympus Mons is quite prominent and reasonable detail can be seen on Mare Sirenum.  There are a number of craters visible but I have not attempted to identify them.  Solis Planum can be seen coming into view.  The north polar hood is a bit more dispersed than the previous night.  

Thanks for looking.  Cheers Brett.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars 11_8_18 1423 p2.jpg

• Sunspot, PrestonE, JMP and 28 others like this

#2 Guest_djhanson_*

Guest_djhanson_*
  • -----

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

Seriously good stuff!!!  Nice job Brett!!!

• wavydavy likes this

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Gemini

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

Absolute belter! Is the luminance really luminance or IR? It looks highly contrasty for a straight L. On the other hand the SPC is bright so I expect you're correct!

• wavydavy likes this

#4 HentySky

HentySky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thanks djhanson.

Happylimpet, yes it is a true luminance.  If I  had used a IR or red channel the NPH would not show up.  The luminance filter works well if the seeing is good.

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Yes, that is a belter Brett! waytogo.gif waytogo.gifwaytogo.gif  

That angled "M" shaped feature (SW of Olympus Mons in Amazonia ) seems to be a constant lately...& btw, regarding <"There are a number of craters visible but I have not attempted to identify them."> please let me know if you do - I have a devil of a time trying to reconcile much more than those that are really quite well-listed despite exhaustive research...& my appeals to "Higher Authorities" seems to fall upon deaf ears..! :lol:

I've been surprised by the L channel outcomes, capturing a few since you employed them a little while ago & using it on the 1st August...did so for the August 8th also in one set - but they weren't as nice as the one here! waytogo.gif 

#6 HentySky

HentySky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Darryl.  I have found it difficult to find a decent map of Mars with the crater names that I can use as a reference.  The maps I have used don't give the same perspective.  I found the Hubble image taken on 27/8/03 to be a good reference.  I have reconciled the obvious craters between the Hubble image and mine but I can't find the crater names.  The crater names I have found I have attempted to show on the image, and they were not easy and I am not sure I am 100% correct, so really I have not got to far with that exercise.

I did find interesting a couple of differences between the Hubble image and ours (you captured the same area).  The Newton crater is a lot darker than in the Hubble image compared to now, and the area between Columbus and Pickering has also become a lot lighter.  Just some observations.

With the luminance channel, I run it for 2 minutes at 212 fps.  As the image with the L filter has a lot less noise than any of the colour filters I find it easier to process.

Cheers Brett

Attached Thumbnails

• 2018-08-11-1423 craters.jpg
  • Hubble 27_8_03.jpg

• R Botero, ToxMan, danielguo and 1 other like this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

Outstanding!  That must be Perth, Australia, not Perth, Scotland!

Seriously, this is a real advance in amateur planet observation, indeed in earth-based planet observation.

• wavydavy likes this

#8 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

Outstanding!  That must be Perth, Australia, not Perth, Scotland!

Lol lol.gif

What a shot Brett! waytogo.gif bow.gif

Roberto

#9 lgwong

lgwong

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

The attached image was taken on my second night in Perth WA.  I had some good seeing on my first night, the second even better.  The attached image is probably my best to date.  Again I dragged the C14 out to the back of the unit where we were staying to catch the sky between the back fence and the roof gutter.  The image of Mars in the eyepiece was the steadiest I have ever seen it.

The image was recorded on the ASI290MM and I recorded luminance and RGB SER channels.  The processing of the luminance channel came out extremely well.  I have to thank Darryl and Pete on their advice in my previous post for managing ring artefacts during image processing.  The artefacts however were relatively minor comparing to the images from the previous night.   

On the image Olympus Mons is quite prominent and reasonable detail can be seen on Mare Sirenum.  There are a number of craters visible but I have not attempted to identify them.  Solis Planum can be seen coming into view.  The north polar hood is a bit more dispersed than the previous night.  

Thanks for looking.  Cheers Brett.

Did you use a ADC for L channel? 

#10 HentySky

HentySky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:07 AM

Michael, thanks for the comments and it was Perth Australia.  A high pressure system was sitting right above Perth and Mars was practically straight up when when I took the shot.

Thanks Roberto.

Lgwong, I did not need to use a ADC.  Perth is at 32 degrees south which places Mars nearly overhead.

• ToxMan and Michael Covington like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics