•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar dust

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

The Apollo program had a great influence in my life. I have been a big fan of all things Apollo ever since I watched the lunar landings as a young kid. I have wanted to see a real lunar rock ever since which led me to start collecting meteorites including about a dozen lunar specimens. But, how cool would it be to have a lunar specimen that was brought back by an Apollo mission?! 

Recently I had the opportunity to acquire two pieces of beta cloth that spent three days on the surface of the moon. They came from Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke. The pieces are tiny but, are covered in   lunar dust. Here are a couple of pictures I took with a hand held microscope and my cell phone. One of them shows a glass spherule. I’m so excited to have this childhood dream come true.

Attached Thumbnails

• 30092F4F-AD71-4926-900E-3445D17BBD3C.jpeg
  • 861D4772-A530-4DCF-B42B-06B6E6637784.jpeg

• Glassthrower, Kunama, gene 4181 and 1 other like this

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

I remember watching the first moon landing in my rented room while going to summer school my junior year of college in 1969. (flunked German and had to do it again!)

FC

• contrailmaker likes this

#3 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

That is fantastic !  You know, you can easily purchase a meteorite that came from a zillion miles away.  But to have lunar material carried back by a human being from the moon to earth....well, that is something different all together. 

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

That's awesome. The closest thing I have is a lunar meteorite. Whatever you do, do not sell that. Genuine lunar regolith samples from the Apollo program are astronomically-rare (pun intended). There are a few floating around in private collections, but not many. You are fortunate to have one.  :)

#5 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Michael. I know I am very lucky. For a long time I thought it would be impossible to obtain Apollo-returned material. These are keepers. I’ll try to post better pictures soon. Interesting how similar the little particles look to the lunar meteorite samples I have (and they should!). All the lithologies seem to be represented and it was cool to find the glass sperule. Still a lot left to examine.

CM

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics