•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where to buy a pier extension with 3/8-16" holes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jag32

jag32

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

I have a Discmounts DM6 with the DIscmounts brand pier extension, but I need a few more inches higher.  The pier extension I need must have 3/8-16" holes on the bottom as well as the top.  Where can I buy one?  Thanks

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:50 PM

How about a home built "rat cage"?

- Take 2 round pieces of 3/4" Birch Plywood say 6" in diameter

- Drill 3 holes at 120 degrees each and insert 5/16" bolts & nuts at 6" length ( or whatever length you need)

- Place a brass 3/8" insert in bottom plate, drill a 3/8" hole in top plate and add 3/8" thread rod with a knob

Something that looks like this:

https://www.cloudyni...-1522590714.jpg

#3 biz

biz

Vendor

• ***--
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

I have a Discmounts DM6 with the DIscmounts brand pier extension, but I need a few more inches higher.  The pier extension I need must have 3/8-16" holes on the bottom as well as the top.  Where can I buy one?  Thanks

Hi that’s an easy fix...  one....just replace the 3 height bars with the length you require. Simple as.

Two...If your tripod main bolt is long enough you may also be able to put packers under what you have to lift it.

Or three...you would have to have another smaller extension made up to bolt on the top but that would be more expensive.

cheers

Graham

#4 EricR

EricR

Messenger

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

Raul of Desert Sky Astro used to make and sell extension columns for 3/8"-16 thread.

Go to his website and email him; desertskyastro DOT com

Be aware that, while honest and providing quality work/items, it seems that he does tend to be a little "optimistic" with his time estimates for items not on-the-shelf, ready-to-ship immediately. (((I say that from personal experience with ONLY ONE mount that I ordered, which I love,,, and also from a lot of posts here on CN from others with similar experiences)))

#5 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:39 PM

Raul of Desert Sky Astro used to make and sell extension columns for 3/8"-16 thread.

Go to his website and email him; desertskyastro DOT com

Be aware that, while honest and providing quality work/items, it seems that he does tend to be a little "optimistic" with his time estimates for items not on-the-shelf, ready-to-ship immediately. (((I say that from personal experience with ONLY ONE mount that I ordered, which I love,,, and also from a lot of posts here on CN from others with similar experiences))) 

CALL him, then tell him you're going to email him, that's what I've found works best. Then rinse/repeat until you've paid for your item, it ships and you get your tracking number.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics