•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

lambda Cygni

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:12 AM

Yesterday night I observed lambda Cygni, which is a triple star. The components A and B are quite close (0.9") and are near the limit of my 4 inch refractor. Splitting them got even harder because there is a magnitude difference of 1.6 mag between the stars. At least, they are rather bright (4m7 and 6m3). I saw that it is a double only by a slight bulge of the airy disc. The component C could be seen easily, of course.

The sketch is mirror reversed.

Attached Thumbnails

• lCyg.gif

• R Botero, Nucleophile, happylimpet and 4 others like this

#2 flt158

flt158

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

Hello, Uwe. 

What a delightful sketch that is!

I have been a big fan of Lambda Cygni in recent years. 

Your sketch is now a reminder that I must observe it again. 

It has been 2 or 3 years since I did so with my William Optics 158 mm apochromatic refractor. 

I was successful in splitting A and B at 280X with a William Optics 4 mm eyepiece in the past.   

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

• nerich likes this

#3 Magnus Ahrling

Magnus Ahrling

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden 57:30N.

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

Wow, well done Uwe. Wonderfull sketch. I like the little bulge you caught. What mag did you use?
I like Lambda, have seen it split at 320X with my C8 and at 400X with my MK66 but also no luck in less than near perfect seeing.

/Magnus

#4 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:31 PM

I increased the mag to around 200x to see the details oft the airy disc.

#5 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:04 AM

Lambda Cygni is a tricky little devil, isn't it? It splits quite nicely with my 180 Mak at x270 (Baader 10mm Ortho), but my smaller scopes struggle a little with it.

Chris

#6 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

I wasn't sure if this would be visible from Brisbane, Australia, but it is, albeit low down on the horizon and hidden by trees/buildings from my house.  Would like to have a crack at this myself one day.  Do you think a 6" dob with very good seeing can split this at say 200x?

#7 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:44 AM

I wasn't sure if this would be visible from Brisbane, Australia, but it is, albeit low down on the horizon and hidden by trees/buildings from my house.  Would like to have a crack at this myself one day.  Do you think a 6" dob with very good seeing can split this at say 200x?

I've certainly split it a few times with my 127 Mak (true aperture 119mm), so a well-collimated 150mm dob should do, particularly if you are in a location with good seeing!

Chris

• dpastern likes this

#8 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

I've certainly split it a few times with my 127 Mak (true aperture 119mm), so a well-collimated 150mm dob should do, particularly if you are in a location with good seeing!

Chris

Many thanks - I was a bit concerned cos the separation of the pair is very close to the theoretical resolution limit of the 6" dob I believe.  

#9 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

Many thanks - I was a bit concerned cos the separation of the pair is very close to the theoretical resolution limit of the 6" dob I believe.  

Theoretical resolution limit  (Dawes) of a 150mm scope should be about 0.8 arcsec for nearly equal mag stars I believe.

Chris

• dpastern likes this

#10 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:06 AM

Theoretical resolution limit  (Dawes) of a 150mm scope should be about 0.8 arcsec for nearly equal mag stars I believe.

Chris

yeah, that's what I read.  Pretty close to that 0.9 arcsec separation of this double!  I'll need perfect seeing to nail this binary imho.  I'm learning more and more as I observe that seeing conditions trump EVERY other part of the telescope/eyepiece combination.  

#11 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

lambdacyg150.jpg

yeah, that's what I read.  Pretty close to that 0.9 arcsec separation of this double!  I'll need perfect seeing to nail this binary imho.  I'm learning more and more as I observe that seeing conditions trump EVERY other part of the telescope/eyepiece combination.  

Should look roughly like this (Aberrator simulation).

Chris

• dpastern likes this

#12 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

attachicon.gif lambdacyg150.jpg

Should look roughly like this (Aberrator simulation).

Chris

cool, I have an idea of what to expect.  That's a really tight split.  Where did you get that sim from if I may ask?

#13 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:45 AM

cool, I have an idea of what to expect.  That's a really tight split.  Where did you get that sim from if I may ask?

You can find Aberrator on the web (Freeware); you can set it up to simulate double stars, by changing scope parameters (aperture, obstruction, f no etc) and stars (mags, sep, PA). It seems to work quite well as a guide to what a pair will look like, although I find it works better with nearly equal pairs - with unequal pairs, the size and brightness of the secondary star do not look quite like what I see through the eyepiece, or image using an ASI224 camera. 

Chris

• dpastern and RyanSem like this

#14 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

You can find Aberrator on the web (Freeware); you can set it up to simulate double stars, by changing scope parameters (aperture, obstruction, f no etc) and stars (mags, sep, PA). It seems to work quite well as a guide to what a pair will look like, although I find it works better with nearly equal pairs - with unequal pairs, the size and brightness of the secondary star do not look quite like what I see through the eyepiece, or image using an ASI224 camera. 

Chris

Excellent, will check it out tomorrow.  Thank you.

#15 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

> I was a bit concerned cos the separation of the pair is very close to the theoretical resolution limit of the 6" dob I believe.

You may detect doubles well beyond the Rayleigh limit. Look for irregulatities oft the airy disc. I detected (but not real split) doubles downto 0.ü arcsecs with my 4 inch refractor.
  • dpastern likes this

#16 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

> I was a bit concerned cos the separation of the pair is very close to the theoretical resolution limit of the 6" dob I believe.

You may detect doubles well beyond the Rayleigh limit. Look for irregulatities oft the airy disc. I detected (but not real split) doubles downto 0.ü arcsecs with my 4 inch refractor.

good point.  I'm still very much a newb though with doubles and much to learn.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics