•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific 127 7.5 FCD100

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

This sounds interesting. It uses Hoya FCD100 glass and is advertised as having better optical quality than the regular triplet which uses DCD1. It's  $1,999 vs $1,599 for the regular one with 2.5" rack and pinon focuser. It's 18 lb with rings, dovetail and diagonal plus lifetime warranty. If the focuser replacement for my WO ZS110 ends up too expensive  I might sell it and get one of these. David

Edited by dscarpa, 17 August 2018 - 08:41 PM.

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

Definitely worth the extra $400 IMO.

There's several reports of the ES 127 (FCD100) being better (CA) than the standard FCD1 version

• Live_Steam_Mad, Tyson M and Dynan like this

#3 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

FCD100 series are essentially colour free, and produce excellent image. I had 100mm and 127mm FCD100 models.

Excellent optics, and what Mike says, $400 price difference is defintely worth upgrade.

• ken30809 likes this

#4 dscarpa

dscarpa

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

The APM- TS website gives a .97 Strehl correction for these! David

Edited by dscarpa, 20 August 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#5 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

They say it is designed for a .97 Strehl, what the actual Strehl is is anybody's guess, but much lower than .97.  Regardless, this lens design is definitely superior to the Essentials line as far as color correction goes.  

Edited by Jon_Doh, 21 August 2018 - 10:15 AM.

#6 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

I can confirm that the color correction is eons ahead. There is no CA on the FCD100, while the FCD1 was blue bloat city. I have noticed something though. While the FCD100 does not have the blue/purple halo that the FCD1 ES127 has, which was not really usable to me at all for AP, the FCD100 ES127 has hardly any blue at all! Quite a curious thing...and I'm wondering why that would be. I recently did a few images with it. You'll notice the usual blue stars in most images are more of a white color. The ones that are blue are always the brightest ones. I haven't been able to find enough other FCD100 images to know if it is the glass or something with my imaging setup. Thoughts?

get.jpg?insecure
get.jpg?insecure
get.jpg?insecure
get.jpg?insecure

Edited by jtrezzo, 09 October 2018 - 12:33 AM.

• Live_Steam_Mad, eros312, ken30809 and 2 others like this

#7 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

Jarrett, maybe snap a shot of the Triffid to see if the blue part looks as it should?

Your pics look great to me.

#8 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:40 AM

Well, on 2 of 4 images (Cocoon and Little Cocoon) I can easily see bright blue stars. Might be something to do with white balance, but your images look excellent to my eye ! Hopefully I can image something similar one day with my FCD100...

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:56 AM

They say it is designed for a .97 Strehl, what the actual Strehl is is anybody's guess, but much lower than .97. Regardless, this lens design is definitely superior to the Essentials line as far as color correction goes.

I think what is being said is that the scopes have .97 polychromatic strehl. So they are 97% perfect in terms of color correction, more or less. This has more to do with design and materials than execution so it isn’t unreasonable to think they could achieve that, or close to it.

That being said, a scope could have a high polychromatic strehl but a low strehl if there is SA or astigmatism, etc. So color correction may be nearly perfect, but that doesn’t say anything about the optical figure. Not that I have heard negative things about these new models.

Scott
  • Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#10 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

Here are some of my ES127mm FCD100 images. I have not noticed a lack of blue.

https://www.cloudyni...cf-fcd-100-apo/

By the way, your images are awesome.

Edited by droe, 09 October 2018 - 08:11 PM.

• Live_Steam_Mad, jtrezzo and bigtoga like this

#11 jtrezzo

jtrezzo

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

Well, on 2 of 4 images (Cocoon and Little Cocoon) I can easily see bright blue stars. Might be something to do with white balance, but your images look excellent to my eye ! Hopefully I can image something similar one day with my FCD100...

Thanks for the compliment, and I think you may be right that it could just be the color balance. I've been stacking and color calibrating in APP then taking it to Pixinisght. I may have to have a go fully in PI just to see if it is the processing. I have noticed that APP does tend to look more red in color balance more often than not, which can be good for nebulae but it seems to be a bit off for some things.

#12 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

I have an ES102CF triplet (the version with FCD1 glass) and got pretty good results. No chromatic aberration at all. Not sure if i would get better results with an FCD100 glass....maybe yes but probably not enough for me to justify the extra $. See my last picture here that i took with my ES102CF  (FCD1 glass)...just my 2 cents :)

#13 BlueFang

BlueFang

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina, USA

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:04 AM

The ES 127 FCD100 was my second scope ever (started with a SW 80ED) - I got it just weeks before last year's Staunton River Star Party - and was able to spend a couple of nights with it capturing M42 in excellent conditions. I am impressed - but my experience level is quite shallow. I did happen to be camping next to a guy that had an Astro Physics 130 - with a huge collection of Televue Nagler & Ethos eyepieces and every time he would find a target he would call me over to have a look... I didn't feel like ever using my scope for observing again - though to be honest, I was blowing him away with my captured images.

Overall, I am super happy with my purchase.

M42 captured at the star party through the ES 127 FCD100:

ES127mm-FCD100-M42

• eros312, ken30809, Jon_Doh and 3 others like this

#14 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

I have an ES102CF triplet (the version with FCD1 glass) and got pretty good results. No chromatic aberration at all. Not sure if i would get better results with an FCD100 glass....maybe yes but probably not enough for me to justify the extra $. See my last picture here that i took with my ES102CF  (FCD1 glass)...just my 2 cents smile.gif

My 102mm ES triplet with FCD-1 is also color free and this is visual use only.  Confirmed that with some quick moon views last night and a few bright stars.  I think there are probably some that are better than others but overall they did a pretty good job with these triplets.  Same for the Astro tech and some of the others.

#15 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

My ED127 FCD1 has some residual CA. It's no "blue bloat city" at all, but can show up when doing fairly good stretches on the data. I simply processed it out until I discovered the Astronomik UV/IR L-3 filter, which has a extremely mild CA suppression without no color balance change at all. Now the 127ED FCD1 gives images worthy of a 5" triplet. I'm very happy with the results using the L-3 filter.

#16 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:45 PM

Definitely worth the extra $400 IMO.

There's several reports of the ES 127 (FCD100) being better (CA) than the standard FCD1 version

I have the ES 102mm APO Carbon and I love it.   Sold away my Celestron EDGE 1100 after I got this scope.

#17 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Messenger

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

Opticsplanet.com has the ES127 FCD100 for $1999 minus a coupon for 12% making the final price $1759 -- PLUS you get a $150 Optics Planet gift card good for a future purchase, say a Nagler 5mm???

Steady air,

Tom 

Edited by santafe retiree, 14 March 2019 - 07:22 PM.

• Mr. Mike, gustavo_sanchez and bigtoga like this

#18 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

Opticsplanet.com has the ES127 FCD100 for $1999 minus a coupon for 12% making the final price $1759 -- PLUS you get a $150 Optics Planet gift card good for a future purchase, say a Nagler 5mm???

Steady air,

Tom 

That’s an amazing buy.  waytogo.gif

• ken30809 likes this

#19 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

That's an awesome deal. Likewise, I bought my FCD1 127ED from HPS for $1275, so I'm also happy with my purchase.

#20 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

Yes they are great and affordabe. With $1200 I difference from the APM 140mm{FPL53 doublet}I was able to buy a BBHS 2" diagonal and a used Denkmeirer 27 Binotron plus 2 Meade{made in Japan}zoom eyepieces. The focuser while not great it's still very usable until I can get a Moonlite.

Would absolutely buy it again. 

#21 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:04 PM

This sounds interesting. It uses Hoya FCD100 glass and is advertised as having better optical quality than the regular triplet which uses DCD1. It's  $1,999 vs $1,599 for the regular one with 2.5" rack and pinon focuser. It's 18 lb with rings, dovetail and diagonal plus lifetime warranty. If the focuser replacement for my WO ZS110 ends up too expensive  I might sell it and get one of these. David

Lifetime warranty, good story:  Got my *mother's* Swarovskis fixed under Swarovski warranty.  Didn't cost me anything.  Not even the return shipping.

Lifetime warranty, bad story:  I had bought a lifetime warranty garment bag, real nice piece of luggage which I needed at that point in my life, and cost me $500 when I didn't have $500 to spend.  A few years later some of it was looking pretty shabby.  The internal pockets were ripping out.

The company still existed but had sold itself to another company which used the brand name....but did not honor the warranty of the previous company....

I worry that ES may be more like the garment bag company than Swarovsky.  I'm not even sure how lifetime warranties can work unless most people don't use them.  You sell a thousand, then ten thousand, then a hundred thousand....sooner or later something is going to go wrong, you have an ever-expanding base of product that needs to be fixed....the cost of doing that has to be built into the cost of the new ones you're selling, which makes you less competitive.  But you can escape that liability by reorganizing.  And here's where I have some concern about companies that are basically distributors for a factory that sells the same products to many different re-branding operations.  This includes Celestron, a company I really really like.

Greg N 

#22 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

Lifetime warranty, good story:  Got my *mother's* Swarovskis fixed under Swarovski warranty.  Didn't cost me anything.  Not even the return shipping.

Lifetime warranty, bad story:  I had bought a lifetime warranty garment bag, real nice piece of luggage which I needed at that point in my life, and cost me $500 when I didn't have $500 to spend.  A few years later some of it was looking pretty shabby.  The internal pockets were ripping out.

The company still existed but had sold itself to another company which used the brand name....but did not honor the warranty of the previous company....

I worry that ES may be more like the garment bag company than Swarovsky.  I'm not even sure how lifetime warranties can work unless most people don't use them.  You sell a thousand, then ten thousand, then a hundred thousand....sooner or later something is going to go wrong, you have an ever-expanding base of product that needs to be fixed....the cost of doing that has to be built into the cost of the new ones you're selling, which makes you less competitive.  But you can escape that liability by reorganizing.  And here's where I have some concern about companies that are basically distributors for a factory that sells the same products to many different re-branding operations.  This includes Celestron, a company I really really like.

Greg N 

Well, its probably too early to really gather data on this.  I dont know why you'd worry that ES's lifetime warranty is potentially bad/dodgy though unless there are reports of people getting the shaft on issues they report years after the regular warranty.  If anything Ive read the contrary where ES's warranty and service is pretty good.  I havent used it yet and I hope it is good should I ever need it.  But their good reputation & long warrany did partially weigh into my buying decision!

You are right though that it could get sticky down the road if they stay around for a long time and end up with tens of thousands of scopes out there that people could send in for repairs.  May get ugly.  However, I bet that most scopes that are cared for wont break.  Whats goin gto break on a refractor anyways?  The glass never wears out unless Im wrong on that?  Focusers get old I guess but if they have to replace a few down the road but generated more sales due to the warranty its probably a wash.  Only they know!  Im sure they've done some math .  If not..... then they'll be screwed!  Guess we'll find out. ;)

#23 mrtoad

mrtoad

Lift Off

• Loc: Lodi, CA

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:43 PM

Hi all -- I also have the ES 127/7.5  that I bought used a short time ago for a very cheap price -$400 --with the proviso that if was mis-aligned internally or evidence of being taken apart I could return it.  On an  optical bench it seemed perfect so I constructed telescope for it.  Visually it seems fine with only a hint of purple at the edge of the moon under 400x.  

My question is how do you know if it has the FCD01 or FCD100 element?   Nothing is printed on the cell. 

---Jan

#24 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:51 AM

Hi all -- I also have the ES 127/7.5  that I bought used a short time ago for a very cheap price -$400 --with the proviso that if was mis-aligned internally or evidence of being taken apart I could return it.  On an  optical bench it seemed perfect so I constructed telescope for it.  Visually it seems fine with only a hint of purple at the edge of the moon under 400x.  

My question is how do you know if it has the FCD01 or FCD100 element?   Nothing is printed on the cell. 

---Jan

I could have sworn the newer ES 127 using the FCD 100 had "FCD 100" printed on the cell, but I can't find a pic of it  Look like the only addition is a sticer added to the OTA (see 4th pic).

EDIT:  Found it.  See Pic 5

It clearly had FCD 100 printed on the Lens.  Not sure If ES is still doing this?

#25 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

Mine also shows it on the rim of the lens cell.

Edited by De Lorme, 16 March 2019 - 01:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics