•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution 8 Using SkySync GPS for the first time

accessories cassegrain Celestron equipment mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:54 AM

*Please don’t make comments like, “why aren’t you using the scope with an iPad..that gives you time date and coordinates?” I use mine with an iPad but also use with the hand controller. 

With the hand control it’s annoying to enter time, date and coordinates so I thought I’d try the SkySync GPS. Tonight I tried it for the first time. 

Going through the controls I enabled GPS in the menu. The coordinates, time and date were all correct!  Only issue is that when I slewed to the second star in the  2-Star alignment and it was showing alignment. When I tried  to let it go to star 2 It did not align and scope went the opposite directions 

Why could this happen. What could this be. I tried a SkyAlugn too and with the gps it said successful alightment but scope was going in the wrong direction

What could I be doing wrong?

Jon

#2 photomagica

photomagica

Explorer 1

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:55 AM

I've occasionally had my SkySync do weird things too. I usually use it on the auto align setting and that seems to work well. However the odd time the thing goes nuts and I just turn off the telescope and start over. I also find that at first I wasn't giving it long enough to lock on to the satellites and do its GPS thing before telling it to align. Just persist and become more familiar with it and I think you find it is quite reliable.

I bought a SkySunc that had been on the dealers shelf for a long time and a firmware update did wonders too. Best instructions can be searched up on Cloudy Nights.

When I'm dealing with unfamiliar electronics I'm always watching out for what I call "new user syndrome." I seem to be able to get the electronics to fail in ways the designers never imagined and I can never reproduce after I've become familiar with the system. Patience, repeated attempts and occasionally (Perish the thought!) even reference to the instructions seem to take care of "new user syndrome."

Hope it works out that way for you.

Best,

Bill

• Dynan likes this

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:09 AM

Hi Jon, good to hear from you again. Like you, I now use my tablet off-line as a mere sky chart and prefer Starsense HC control. Since switching to HC + Skysync GPS I have enjoyed greater accurancy plus reliability. WiFi can be pants and I am not convinced that SkySafari is as precise as the HC, but that might be just the perception of an old fart with fat fingers that prefers the tactile feedback of buttons.

However, just occasionally I have to reboot the telescope a second time for GPS to correctly populate the data. Since I put the HC into the Skysync's AUX port or on the same AUX splitter this has worked better. My guess is a little patience is needed while the GPS finds the satellites. I hence tend to switch on scope and wait a while longer before hitting <align>.  About 1/20 times I have to reboot, but it eventually works great.  Bill's experience sounds similar. Pesky satellites I guess!

Edited by Noah4x4, 19 August 2018 - 02:13 AM.

• Dynan likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Apollo

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:26 AM

Check once that your Lat/Long is correct. I've had my SkySync (SS HC?) hang up showing the same value for L/L. I just powered down and restarted and it cleared.

#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

Check once that your Lat/Long is correct. I've had my SkySync (SS HC?) hang up showing the same value for L/L. I just powered down and restarted and it cleared.

Even though on 19 out of 20 occasions my SkySync GPS correctly populates the Starsense HC I always check the actual data and scroll though (as if entering it) rather than merely fast-track <accept>. This only takes an extra few seconds, and occasionally it does miss.

Similarly, I have an Android APP called 'Clear Outside' that predicts cloud. Just occasionally it oddly defaults to a location in Japanese territory 180° from my (near) Greenwich Meridian location. I guess it too is seeking the right GPS satellites. 

• Dynan likes this

#6 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:35 AM

I'm hoping to try all of these suggestions. The odd thing is I checked all of the coordinates, time and date and all were correct. I'll try it again in the controlled environment of my driveway. Being on an observing field 45 minutes from home handling heavy dew and glasses fogging up with malfunctioning equipment is not fun at all (this is what happened with my first GPS experience).

If it does not work i'll just send it back and keep doing what I was doing before. I'm hoping for the best. I've been looking for a way to remove steps and speed up my alignment as I do two outreach events and I need to get aligned quickly. Centering stars is quick and easy, but inputting time, date and coordinates is what takes up most of the time so I don't see any need for a Starsense as i'd still need the Skysync...so truly not a real level and align (not bashing Starsense Users, but for something that expensive Celestron had a great opportunity to make it a true level and align by making it GPS enabled)

Jon

#7 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

After trying this SkySync GPS multiple times and in different ports it always is showing the correct time, date and coordinates...but when using auto two star it slews the opposite way to star 2. On SkyAlugn it’ll show align success but when slewing to the object it again goes the opposite direction. 

Needless to say say it’s in a box going back to the supplier. It should not be that difficult. Not worth $120

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, cassegrain, Celestron, equipment, mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics