•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hyperion, Can you see it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luca Brasi

Luca Brasi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:42 PM

I find identifying moons to be the most exciting part of planetary viewing and I am always pushing the limits of my scope...

Last night 8-19-2018 I was studying Saturn and was able to see Rhea, Tethys, Dione, Titan and Enceladus just barely through Saturns glow.  But on reviewing my sketches I noticed a very dim speck right were Hyperion should be!?!  I have clear dark skies out here in the rockies that allow me to see objects below 15 magnitude through my 14" (even a few moons of Uranus), but nothing this small.

My question is this.  Has anybody out there ever seen Hyperion before?  I really want to add this one to my list but I'm skeptical.  Especially with a half moon so high in the sky!

• Francopoli and happylimpet like this

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:32 PM

Assuming that you have verified there were no other field stars as bright or brighter near the same position, then you most likely saw it.  waytogo.gif  It is well within range of your scope even with the Moon up and is generally well separated from the planet.  The difficulty is in identifying it against the busy background. 

It is nearly the same magnitude as some of Uranus' brighter moons.

• Luca Brasi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics