•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Golden Pelican

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:43 PM

Hi again,

This is my best DSO shot so far although it is way way far from being good, but with all situations and my beginner skills i should be happy with it, hope one day i can do better and better.

This is a Pelican nebula i processed only Ha channel, as OIII data is bad, SII just so so, just planned that Ha alone is fine for me, but i used my photography processing skills to give it kind of effects, and i liked this one somehow.

Pelican-_Golden_Ha.jpg

As usual, ST80, QHY163M, Optolong HSO filters, AZ-EQ6

Ha/OIII/SII = 20x 180sec [-5C], gain if not mistaken 177 Offset 77, i have to check out

Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop, i did tried all channels and processed in PixInsight for first time following a YT video, didn't came out good enough.

I will never give up under my red zone, and i don't know if i just replace this Optolong 7nm Ha to Astronmik 6nm it will be a big difference anyway.

• havasman, rekokich, Gipht and 2 others like this

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

Keep it up.....It looks promising. 

I am engaged in a Pelican Project currently also.

Alex

#3 *Axel*

*Axel*

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

Hi again,

This is my best DSO shot so far although it is way way far from being good, but with all situations and my beginner skills i should be happy with it, hope one day i can do better and better.

This is a Pelican nebula i processed only Ha channel, as OIII data is bad, SII just so so, just planned that Ha alone is fine for me, but i used my photography processing skills to give it kind of effects, and i liked this one somehow.

Pelican-_Golden_Ha.jpg

As usual, ST80, QHY163M, Optolong HSO filters, AZ-EQ6

Ha/OIII/SII = 20x 180sec [-5C], gain if not mistaken 177 Offset 77, i have to check out

Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop, i did tried all channels and processed in PixInsight for first time following a YT video, didn't came out good enough.

I will never give up under my red zone, and i don't know if i just replace this Optolong 7nm Ha to Astronmik 6nm it will be a big difference anyway.

Hi Tareq,

How bad are your OIII / SII subs because it is a pity to waste 20*180s per channel. Is it impossible to salvage them?

In PI can you try a simple Pixelmath blend + STF transfer and post it?

Keep at it.

Axel

#4 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:06 PM

Keep it up.....It looks promising. 

I am engaged in a Pelican Project currently also.

Alex

Thank you very much Alex, i will do

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:12 PM

Hi Tareq,

How bad are your OIII / SII subs because it is a pity to waste 20*180s per channel. Is it impossible to salvage them?

In PI can you try a simple Pixelmath blend + STF transfer and post it?

Keep at it.

Axel

Hi Axel,

Well, i read somewhere i forgot where that someone else also have a problem with data from blue filter and from OIII, my Ha data is not bad, not much light pollution leak, while OIII is full of amp glow and stars are bloated or big sizes, while SII data exposures where like somewhere between Ha and OIII, not bad stars shapes but there is still amp glow but less than OIII, so i don't know what causes those 2 channels of OIII or blue from LRGB to be somehow off, so i first blamed my scope being an achro scope, i can't judge that until i use a real APO scope then i will try again, or use my Newtonian and then judge.

I didn't use PixInsight here, only DSS and Photoshop, i tried PixInsight from one YouTube video and the result where bad, it was my first time and i followed his steps carefully, but sounds my data of 3 filters didn't help at all, here is the results i ended up, i can upload all the data for others to try processing, but i always upload data and end up no one process it for me or process it worse than myself processing.

Final.jpg

#6 *Axel*

*Axel*

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

What you describe about your OIII and SII channels sounds to be normal. OIII always has bloated stars and gradients whereas SII is in beetween and Ha being best. So far so good assuming you calibrated your  lights correctly.

Send a dropbox link and I'll have a look at it. Hopefully I'll get something decent out of it.

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:35 PM

I am uploading the files now, but to google drive, my Dropbox is full and i don't like it much, but i am sorry in my first post, it sounds i took only 20 exposures for Ha, while for OIII and SII it is only 10 exposures, anyone can drop 10 frames from Ha and make it 10 for all then, but i wanted more frames from Ha anyway, sorry for this mistake.

#8 *Axel*

*Axel*

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

Just upload the HA  / OIII / SII masters only not all individual lights

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

Here is the link, just to note it, it only contains light, dark and bias, i don't know how to make flat so one day i hope.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

Just upload the HA  / OIII / SII masters only not all individual lights

Too late, i downloaded all data, lights and dark and bias too but no flat as dunno how to do it yet, now you can try from beginning for processing.

#11 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Just hold on, i am uploading the Master files, so if you don't want to play with all files.

#12 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

Here is the link for the masters only

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#13 *Axel*

*Axel*

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

Ok Tareq,

Couple of problems:

• your frames are out of focus. Get a bathinov mask and don't worry about wasting 10mins or to focus if you need too.
  • your tracking is off
  • your masters especially SII and OIII are not well calibrated
  • Are you sure that your OII and SII names are not inverted as the halos show up in your SII lights?
  • I suspect your darks to be abnormal and check if you dont have a light leak in your set up (check around the focuser - put yourself in a dark room  look inside the scope from the end of the scope and with a flashlight put it along your set up and if you see light through the scope front lens you have a leak. I you take darks with a leak it will throw out your master dark.
  • If the 163m behaves as the 1600MM then skip bias and stick  to darks. Also do not check in DSS or PI the option to upsacle dark.

dark-BINNING_1-EXPTIME_180.jpg

I made a pass of ABE  + linear fit to Ha  + pixel math with the blend

• R: H*.5 + S*.5
  • G: H*.3 + O*.7
  • B: O

and STF to HT.

here is the output > you can see how your lights are not calibrated correctly. Drop off DSS and use PI Batchprocessing if not already done.

Image26.jpg

Not a lot we can do on this one. Don't give up!

Clear skies

Axel

T

Edited by *Axel*, 22 August 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Ok Tareq,

Couple of problems:

• your frames are out of focus. Get a bathinov mask and don't worry about wasting 10mins or to focus if you need too.
  • your tracking is off
  • your masters especially SII and OIII are not well calibrated
  • Are you sure that your OII and SII names are not inverted as the halos show up in your SII lights?
  • I suspect your darks to be abnormal and check if you dont have a light leak in your set up (check around the focuser - put yourself in a dark room  look inside the scope from the end of the scope and with a flashlight put it along your set up and if you see light through the scope front lens you have a leak. I you take darks with a leak it will throw out your master dark.
  • If the 163m behaves as the 1600MM then skip bias and stick  to darks. Also do not check in DSS or PI the option to upsacle dark.

attachicon.gif dark-BINNING_1-EXPTIME_180.jpg

I made a pass of ABE  + linear fit to Ha  + pixel math with the blend

• R: H*.5 + S*.5
  • G: H*.3 + O*.7
  • B: O

and STF to HT.

here is the output > you can see how your lights are not calibrated correctly. Drop off DSS and use PI Batchprocessing if not already done.

attachicon.gif Image26.jpg

Not a lot we can do on this one. Don't give up!

Clear skies

Axel

T

Hi again Axel,

This is so generous and kind from you to take time to play with my files.

1. I posted on Facebook about that i just received my Bahtinov masks in different sizes, it was a set of 5 masks, so hope soon i put them at use, and i will try to use APT this time over SGP.

2. My tracking is off means i didn't do good enough PA, but i used Polemaster more than twice to ensure it was good enough, and i also use guiding in this target, so all those were all a waste? what will make me to go out and try if all are done wrong or not proper yet?

3. I don't know about calibrating lights or data, i am still learning.

4. About that halos shows up in my SII i don't know what do you mean, do you mean the amp glow or light leak or halos around stars?

5. I don't know those steps to check out about the light leak, i mean i still don't get the picture of how to do it from your comment, should i stand in front of the scope or behind from the focuser side? do i do it with camera and filter wheel+filters intact or without? Until now i feel my ST80 isn't the best scope, and the flattener i use maybe not good enough, i really think wasting time on non APO scope won't help much maybe, if someone here who mentioned he had an issue with his camera QHY163 regardless which scope, so i don't expect mine will be any better then, so i hope later i can use either my Newtonian or to buy an APO and try again and see if i can see those light leak too.

6. If i am not mistaken, QHY163M is same as ASI1600MM, not sure but i believe they are, so i don't know why you will skip the bias then? I will make sure that i don't use upscale option in processing software although i don't remember i really chose that anyway, but thanks to mention that, good to learn.

Thank you very much again for playing with my files, your result is really nice, with more punch and processing in Photoshop it can look better, but there is one thing i have to mention, i still can't believe that i could get any nebula from my red zone area, thought maybe only Orion as it is bright enough or not much difficult doing vary exposures with it, but something else such as this target or most Cygnus region, i won't give up definitely, i barely started and to see those is like a dream became true.

#15 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

There is another thing i have to add although it is maybe not important, the cooling wasn't good enough, i think it was -5C or zero, and i used high gain, maybe 200 instead of 177, with all these i think i won't have really clean good enough data to start with anyway, it is really hot and high humidity here in my country this time since June, and i have to say that one member in Facebook told me that it sometimes not about tracking or PA the problem, but the weight and unbalanced, he said with different gear weight he got different exposure length, i remember last year with this setup but without guiding scope/camera and without filter wheel but only camera and Ha filter i was able to get 5 minutes exposures unguided even without good polar alignment, it means that my current setup has problem whole system, not only exposures issues with glow or LP.

I don't know if i use my Newtonian with camera and filter wheel if i can balance it well, and then i don't know how long i can go with exposures either guided or unguided, i don't go out much to do as i was really busy and focused on planetary more, and also keep buying accessories and another stuff, but i hope this fall/winter i can try something good better than last year o beginning of this year, i didn't have filter wheel and filters before, now i have, and also i didn't have Polemaster and guiding system before, now i have, so i will try again later, hope with Newtonian and with an APO if i can buy it soon enough if possible rather than my ST80, and i am really thinking about going with side by side option than doing piggyback style, not sure if i will see any difference, and if i buy a scope in my mind as i saw someone used it with nice results he also used an autofocus motor or system with it, i know which one, maybe that also will be another help in my AP, i will try my best with anything but sure with a complete capable system rather than with a disabled or missing or incomplete system and hoping for better results.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics