Very good, Alan. I'll have to do that also!
One Q. On the inside of the housing, did you use paint of flock to darken it?
I only used flocking for the backing of the prism. I simply attached it to one side of the original grey-black paper backing. The inside of the housing was painted, and with this sprayed into a peanut-jar cap...
Remove the set-screws before painting. You can mask the housing and spray the paint, or you can simply brush it on from the pool of paint within the cap. When reinstalling the prism, close it all up, battening down the chromed-screws, and then insert the set screws. However, with the prism under pressure after closing it up, I don't really see the need for the set-screws. Now, that is per my sample. I went ahead and installed the set-screws, however, and torqued them down just a bit.
You may also want to reblacken the inside of the nosepiece, possibly. Mask off the outside, then spray the paint at an angle into one end, as you twist it around on a stick, then flip it and paint that end, too. The goal is to blacken all of the chromed threads within it. For the eyepiece-holder, I blackened only the inner surface of the lower rim, just below where an eyepiece would seat, which can be painted by hand with a small brush. Roughen all smooth and shiny surfaces to be painted with sandpaper for improved adhesion, wash the components with soap and water, then wipe with alcohol, and before applying the paint. I also used a tack-cloth right after the alcohol, then painted. I used 100% acetone and cotton swabs to clean the excess paint off of the prism; one swab, one wipe per tip, one after another. The prism can also be masked off, when painting only the sides as I did. I started painting it by hand, but then I finished it up by masking it off and spraying the remainder required. Blue painter's tape works a charm.
Edited by Sky Muse, 26 August 2018 - 09:26 PM.