•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pixinsight Tutorials by Adam Block - well worth the cost

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:16 PM

I have been working with Pixinsight now for about a year after switching from my DSLR/ImagesPlus/Photoshop for imaging/calibration/stacking/processing to my ASI1600MM-PRO and Pixinsight. It was quite a steep climb but it was well worth it and would not change back. In hindsight, I now see that there are so many nuances of Pixinsight that I am still just barely scratching the surface on. I recently stumbled on a set of tutorials by Adam Block that was recommended on a Cloudy Nights post. I check it out and imediately subscribed. Yes its not free. You have to pay a subscription. However, people have to earn a living and the cost was not that bad. I have been methodically going through the fundamentals section of tutorial. These things are thorough and conprehensive. I have been picking up a lot that I either thought I knew, knew somewhat but did not really know what I was doing or had no idea even existed. This is the link:

https://www.adamblockstudios.com/

If your are ready to start the Pixinsight conversion. I highly recommend using these video tutorials. 

What have other users on CN thought of these tutorials?

• Jim Waters, Tanglebones, rathijit and 4 others like this

#2 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:48 PM

Adam attended the same intro to PI class that I took a couple of years ago.  He sure has come a long way with it and I'm sure that his videos are well worth it.  He is a great teacher and he really knows his stuff.

John

• PirateMike likes this

#3 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Viking 1

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:39 AM

I bought access to these as I was determined to get into PI for my processing yet after buying Warren's book I found I still had no clue on the basics.

That's not a slight on Warren but my learning style!

Anyway I spoke to Adam after being recommended them by Brian Finn Valente and after just 2-3 views of the first videos I had learnt heaps and watching the next tutorials and then picking up Warrens book again (which now made sense!) I was away!

Now I find myself digging deeper and watching more videos - he does not have much on mono processing yet (hint hint Adam!) but the core basics in Fundamentals is all there and there is heaps!

I think last count there was over 75 videos in fundamentals alone - some 15 mins long - some more than 45 min long!

I like the style and he explains well without 'oh you can do this or that' but never really explaining WHY you would choose a) over b) 

And Pix has loads of tweaks so for a newbie that's a great help!

I can highly recommend them and I will def be using them alot !

:) 

Without them I could never have gotten close to processing this my first full Pix Hubble image :)

Highly recommended +1

NGC6357 Large

• Jim Waters, OrionSword and PirateMike like this

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:05 AM

I just shook my Piggy Bank and it looks like Adam will have to wait a little longer for me to become his student. Anyways these tutorials are now my #2 astro-priority.

Thanks cfosterstars for pointing me in Adams direction

Miguel   8-)

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:20 AM

I bought access to these as I was determined to get into PI for my processing yet after buying Warren's book I found I still had no clue on the basics.

That's not a slight on Warren but my learning style!

Anyway I spoke to Adam after being recommended them by Brian Finn Valente and after just 2-3 views of the first videos I had learnt heaps and watching the next tutorials and then picking up Warrens book again (which now made sense!) I was away!

Now I find myself digging deeper and watching more videos - he does not have much on mono processing yet (hint hint Adam!) but the core basics in Fundamentals is all there and there is heaps!

I think last count there was over 75 videos in fundamentals alone - some 15 mins long - some more than 45 min long!

I like the style and he explains well without 'oh you can do this or that' but never really explaining WHY you would choose a) over b) 

And Pix has loads of tweaks so for a newbie that's a great help!

I can highly recommend them and I will def be using them alot !

smile.gif

Without them I could never have gotten close to processing this my first full Pix Hubble image smile.gif

Highly recommended +1

Are the video's downloadable for off-line viewing?  Does he also walk through real life examples such as galaxies, nebula including all the fun stuff like noise reduction.  Are many of the examples DSLR based?  Thx

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Gemini

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:42 AM

Are the video's downloadable for off-line viewing?

Not at this time.  I have exchanged some email with him about this and he is looking into it.  It couldn't hurt for more people to ask.

Does he also walk through real life examples such as galaxies, nebula including all the fun stuff like noise reduction.  Are many of the examples DSLR based?  Thx

Oh, yes, he walks through real world examples and tackles the exact kinds of problems that we run into.  I can't say enough about how valuable his tutorials have been.  I've purchased all of his materials on Photoshop and CCDStack and they've been worth every penny.

Even without the ability to download, I've subscribed to the Horizons series.  It's pretty inconvenient because streaming can get flaky for me, but I can say that the content that I've seen so far is fully up to the standards that I've seen with his Photoshop and CCDStack stuff.  Note that I would probably not recommend buying just the Horizons material like I did, unless you have a really solid grasp on PixInsight already.  It's pretty expensive, and still a work in progress without a huge amount of content yet.  I'm probably going to go back and get the Fundamentals stuff as well because I am sure that it will be loaded with pearls of wisdom even for advanced users, but I am waiting to see what he comes up with for a downloadable option.

As for DSLR, I doubt that he does much (if anything) with this.  He typically uses a 1 meter telescope with a 16803-based CCD, and most of the data is based on that.  That said, I've not seen the Fundamentals material, which is where he would cover the aspects relevant to DSLR.  I strongly suspect that he covers both one shot color and mono with filters.

If you want to see an example of the quality of the materials, he has some samples here.  Since you asked about DSLR, you may find the color blip removal example from that link interesting.  It's not from a DSLR, but it seems like it would be directly relevant to the kind of color noise that DSLRs present.

• OrionSword and PirateMike like this

#7 WesC

WesC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

I completely agree!

I recently signed up for Adam’s videos and so far am really liking them. I am already what I would call and intermediate PixInsight user... having learned from the many excellent tutorials available on the web. But I found that after a while I still didn’t fully understand WHY I was setting some things the way the tutorials told me to, even though they worked... I wanted a better understanding so that I could choose the best settings for my data.

So even though I know a lot, I still I learn something new, and most importantly, gain a deeper understanding of how things work with every video. 

I also really like his video style. It’s very clear to follow and well explained. 

Edited by WesC, 22 August 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#8 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

I have also sent Adam emails with comments and suggestions. He has responded very quickly. He also is very appreciative of feedback. The only issue is the shear VOLUME of information. There is just sooo much to digest. I am still just working through the fundamentals and last night went through the sections on cosmetic correction. It was so good. I now UNDERSTAND what I am doing instead of just doing things blindly.

• WesC and ZL4PLM like this

#9 rottielover

rottielover

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis MO

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

Best money I have spent on learning materials for this hobby.   I've gone through all of fundamentals now, and I keep going back to re-watch sections to get it to stick in my brain.

Will shortly be adding the Horizons subscription to my account as well.   I'm a visual leaner, and watching videos has helped me out a lot more than reading books and posts online.

#10 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

I wish there were more DSLR based training tutorials from these experts.

#11 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

I wish there were more DSLR based training tutorials from these experts.

Jim,

The OSC processing that they cover and they do applies to DSLRs just as well. I have had both a Canon 6D full spectrum and a new ASI071MC-PRO OSC. There is nothing specific to DLSRs that you can get from these type of training. Other than the debayering process, every thing else applied directly. I just processed both Canon 6D and ASI071 images of M8/M20 and used the info in these tutorials. 

There is only so much you can do with an uncooled camera and there is nothing specific from an image process point of view that I can think of that will change that. Its all about total time and noise levels and that is not camera specific. The only part of this is that changes is that DSLRs will have only one flat and one filter, but once you calibrate and debayer there are the same. For my OSC data, I now pull a synthetic lumanence and process it exactly as I process the LUM data from my mono cameras. 

My point is that these tutorial are equally as valuable to DLSR or OSC or MONO camera imagers. 

By the way, have you ordered your new cooled mono camera yet smile.gif wink.gif

#12 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for jumping in cfosterstars.  Yep, I know OSC and DSLR processing is interchangeable and some of the mono processing can be applied to DSLR processing too.  I think it would still help some to have a few detailed 'A-Z Tutorials' specifically for DSLR's.  There are a few more challenges in DSLR processing.  Specifically in background noise reduction / correction. 

I did order a ZWO ColdMOS OSC and ended up returning it.  The cooler gave out after a few weeks.  I decided to not go down the mono path because of the processing overhead time and cost.  For now I am sticking with my Ha Mod 6D and stock 5DMkIV cameras.  I may end up getting an APS-C format Ha Mod DSLR or OSC next year.  I am finding the FF 6D sensor size a little large for some of my scopes - too much vignetting.

I may end up getting the Adam Block tutorials later in the year.

#13 WadeH237

WadeH237

Gemini

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:00 PM

think it would still help some to have a few detailed 'A-Z Tutorials' specifically for DSLR's.  There are a few more challenges in DSLR processing.  Specifically in background noise reduction / correction.

I believe that Tony Hallas has been doing quite a bit with DSLRs recently, and he's done some pretty good tutorials in the past.  You should do some searching to see if he offers anything specific to DSLR (I suspect that he does).

But for PixInsight processing, I would highly recommend Adam's tutorials that we're discussing here.

• Jim Waters likes this

#14 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for jumping in cfosterstars.  Yep, I know OSC and DSLR processing is interchangeable and some of the mono processing can be applied to DSLR processing too.  I think it would still help some to have a few detailed 'A-Z Tutorials' specifically for DSLR's.  There are a few more challenges in DSLR processing.  Specifically in background noise reduction / correction. 

I did order a ZWO ColdMOS OSC and ended up returning it.  The cooler gave out after a few weeks.  I decided to not go down the mono path because of the processing overhead time and cost.  For now I am sticking with my Ha Mod 6D and stock 5DMkIV cameras.  I may end up getting an APS-C format Ha Mod DSLR or OSC next year.  I am finding the FF 6D sensor size a little large for some of my scopes - too much vignetting.

I may end up getting the Adam Block tutorials later in the year.

John,

You have been a big help to me over the years and since we both have direct experience with Modified Canon 6Ds and know the vagaries of DLSR vs. OSC, let me spent some more time with my ASI071MC-PRO and give you some more images to chew on for a season. Its on my SV80ST2 for now since I was to be able to so wide field dual camera work, but I plan to put on my SCT later next galaxy season to look at smaller targets. For the prices its not a bad compromise. I did not want to shell out for the FF OSCs so I went this route. If there is anything specific you want to know or me to test, let me know and I will fit it in. Consider it a remote free trial. So far, I really like it. I to am frustrated with "FF" DSLR since I end up cropping the edges a bunch due to the mirror shadow that I could never calibrate out. So far the 071MC is clean to the edges of the sensor. I have another data set for the pelican on the camera that I need to process and as soon as my QHY5-III guide camera arrives, I can do my dual camera more easily. Let me know what you think.

• Jim Waters likes this

#15 PirateMike

PirateMike

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

I just shook my Piggy Bank and it looks like Adam will have to wait a little longer for me to become his student. Anyways these tutorials are now my #2 astro-priority.

Thanks cfosterstars for pointing me in Adams direction

Miguel   8-)

Well I did break the bank frown.gif and now I have started watching the "Pixinsight Fundamentals" videos. smile.gif

#16 miwitte

miwitte

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte NC

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:42 PM

I was looking at Adams site so glad to see good feedback. I use warrens site ip4ap.com always looking for other ways to do things. I do find video tutorial easier than reading a book. PI has so many ways to do things and tweaks it's really easy to get lost at some point and make the image plastic looking. I always end up over processing trying to reduce noise and sharpen. I've finally gotten some data after a drought since June so may be a good time to pull the trigger on Adams stuff.

#17 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Mariner 2

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:21 AM

I'm sold...

-Mikko

#18 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

I just completed for first two videos on DBE. Wow, I learned a lot. The use of symmetries for gradient removal was completely new to me and looks very powerful. He also stated that 80% of the time, the DBE should removed by division and NOT subtraction which is contrary to most of what I have read previously. He states that most of the gradient issues that are not LP are flat fielding errors and should be removed by division. There are lots of other gems here, it was very helpful. I am now starting to understand how and why Pixinsight does things and that makes it so much easier to attack problems.   

• WesC and rottielover like this

#19 Tanglebones

Tanglebones

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:03 PM

I just bit the bullet also, and bought a subscription to fundamentals.  A long road ahead of me, but what else is new in this hobby of ours.  Thanks for the recommendation.

- Stu

• PirateMike likes this

#20 gundark

gundark

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 August 2018 - 02:10 AM

I’ve subscribed to Adam’s fundamentals videos for about a month and I am EXTREMELY pleased. It’s the best money I’ve spent on astroimaging in quite a while.

I have used PixInsight for over a year, and yet I learned some fantastic pearls in just the first few videos. The rest of the series has been outstanding so far.
  • rottielover likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics