•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher Evostar 150! Great Bang for the Buck!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mikona

mikona

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:01 AM

Hello Friends,

I have purposely waited to write my review of my new Skywatcher Evostar 150.  I have had the scope out about 7 times for 4 to 5 hours at a time.  In very poor seeing and in very good seeing.  I have been to Bortle 6, through Bortle 2 skies.  So, needless to say, I have had the pleasure to observe with it under very great conditions as well as very poor and everything in between.

I was skeptical to purchase this scope initially.  In fact, I believe I have a few posts somewhere on CN indicating that I was excited about the possibility of the scope but was nervous due to some of the negative reactions (shame on me for believing any of this... I should know better!).  After having the privilege of looking through a sample and seeing an amazing Jupiter and Wild Duck, I was sold.  I decided to purchase one for myself.

I hear all this crap on this forum (sorry if I anger some of you, not my intent) about the disappointment in not knowing the glass type.  Well, I am sure some of you have read Daniel Mounsey's expert opinion on the scope https://telescopes.n...atcher-evostar/ ... I can second that opinion with my 150.  At the eyepiece, REGARDLESS OF THE GLASS USED, what do the objects look like?  That is ALL that counts when using the scope visually (I am a visual observer ONLY).

First and foremost, I believe that the figure of the glass is what makes this scope a winner.  My star test is nearly perfect.  Simply amazing.  So, what does that equate to at the eyepiece?  Well, Saturn at 400x CLEAR, CRISP and photo like.  In fact, my buddy Darren, with 30+ years experience was cursing like a sailor because the image was simply much more than what was expected.  Encke Ring was clearly defined.  M51 was almost too good to be true.  Approximately the same detail of my C8 on M51... but due to the contrast, I would take the Evo150 view over my C8 anyday.  At the bortle 2 site (Walker Pass, CA), the bridge was visible and quite a bit of definition was present.  The contrast is just unbelievable.  The Swan, even without a filter was fantastic.  With a UHC (thanks Starman!), it was even better.  Same with the Lagoon.  M22 and M13... who says you need 8 inches of aperture to come to life?  I can tell you that these globs excel in this scope.  M24 REALLY blew me away.  I could see the dark nebula in the star field.  M31, 32, and 110 were simply fantastic.  Double stars were an absolute pleasure.  Izar, 70 Oph, and many others were breathtaking.  Open Clusters just kick butt in this scope.  The Double Cluster was mesmerizing and ET made me want to phone home!

This is a great planetary, double star, and deep sky scope.  Contrast, contrast, contrast!  Deep, dark backgrounds!  Many objects look 3D.

Also, the scope is VERY light for its size.  Rides my CEM60 really well.  About a 2 to 3 second dampening time at HIGH mag which is acceptable to me.  This is due to the fact that the EVO150 is over 51" in length with diagonal.

However, there are a few negatives or trade offs with this type of scope.  A 6 inch F8 refractor is BIG!!!!!  That means having an adjustable viewing chair that sits nearly on the ground is essential for viewing objects near zenith.  Also, I had a Takahashi FC100DF before, and the build quality is definitely many steps up.  Mine does not have a rotating focuser.  I have to continuously rotate the diagonal... not a huge deal, but still an inconvenience.  I will add a rotating FT or Moonlite, but the standard focuser works great.  Folks, the 2250 pays for the views.  The mechanics, while completely adequate, are not Takahashi like.  But, that was to be expected!

In the end, I would put the views produced by this scope, as Daniel said, against any 5 - 6 inch apo/ed and it would be tough to tell the differences in image quality.  In fact, I am confident that my EVOSTAR will outperform many of the big guns.  

I am very let down at the individuals bashing Skywatcher and the EVO150.  Obviously these individuals have not looked through the scopes and analyzed the superb images.  Do me a favor people, until you look through one or two of these fine scopes multiple times, in multiple conditions, keep your negative opinions to yourself.  This product... at least the 2 I have seen, have put up AMAZING images!  This is coming from a former Takahashi refractor owner.

Finally, I will save the best for last... IN FOCUS, I HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY OBJECTIONABLE FALSE COLOR!  I think at about $2250, this scope is going to revolutionize the game.  Thank you Skywatcher for putting out an amazing product I am proud to look through and show off!

This is my new favorite scope.  I actually enjoy using it just a wee bit more than my 18 Obsession UC (that is saying a LOT)!

• Daniel Mounsey, Paul Schroeder, DaveG and 40 others like this

#2 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:13 AM

Too late for Jove where you are? Hope not and you share with us.  :)

Peace...

#3 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:14 AM

Awesome read and congrats on your new telescope.

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:11 AM

I am sure they will all be good as long as people get them with a collimated lens on center. I have a G11 coming so you all know what that means.

Edited by CHASLX200, 22 August 2018 - 05:12 AM.

• roadi, Astrojensen and eros312 like this

#5 banatop

banatop

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:16 AM

Interesting review, sounds like a great scope. Nice to hear the opinion of someone who's used this scope a few times. As for what you said about the "Glass" debate, I'm inclined to agree. I've only ever been interested in the quality of the images seen in focus, I've never given a second thought to what glass was used to make the lens. With that in mind perhaps someone could start a new forum with the title " Refractor glass fetishists " where such matters could be discussed endlessly wink.gif  . Anyone second that ? Enjoy your fine scope, John

#6 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:47 AM

But... it’s not a tak how can it be any good??? Just kidding! Congrats on your telescope! Was it delivered or did you pick it up at a dealer?

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

I have a G11 coming so you all know what that means.

Yes, that there will be another used G11 on the market in a few months.

ohmy.gif    grin.gif

• bob midiri, eklf, starman876 and 6 others like this

#8 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:23 AM

The DX rings and dovetail looks great on the evo star waytogo.gif

By the way.. What glass is used? question.gif

Just kidding lol.gif

Nice report, enjoy waytogo.gif

Edited by roadi, 22 August 2018 - 09:28 AM.

• nuvax likes this

#9 JKAstro

JKAstro

Mariner 2

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

Yep, the glass doesn't matter, and this scope, the least expensive 6 inch APO on the market, is visually as good as a 6 inch Tak?

#10 Edrow10

Edrow10

Ranger 4

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

Mike, very nice write up.waytogo.gif 

Daniel told me you acquired one of theirs in stock, and I've been eagerly awaiting your impressions.

So far the samples not damaged in shipping show great potential, and even come in at a wife friendly price. lol.gif

Enjoy.

Regards,

Edited by Edrow10, 22 August 2018 - 10:53 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#11 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

In the end, I would put the views produced by this scope, as Daniel said, against any 5 - 6 inch apo/ed and it would be tough to tell the differences in image quality.  In fact, I am confident that my EVOSTAR will outperform many of the big guns.  

I am very let down at the individuals bashing Skywatcher and the EVO150.  Obviously these individuals have not looked through the scopes and analyzed the superb images.  Do me a favor people, until you look through one or two of these fine scopes multiple times, in multiple conditions, keep your negative opinions to yourself.  This product... at least the 2 I have seen, have put up AMAZING images!  This is coming from a former Takahashi refractor owner.

Finally, I will save the best for last... IN FOCUS, I HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY OBJECTIONABLE FALSE COLOR!  I think at about $2250, this scope is going to revolutionize the game.  Thank you Skywatcher for putting out an amazing product I am proud to look through and show off!

Yup...direct experience with a product always trumps parroting others and paper analyses.  Welcome to the amazingly satisfying world of 6" ED doublet observing grin.gif

Edited by BillP, 22 August 2018 - 12:03 PM.

• Daniel Mounsey, roadi and hfjacinto like this

#12 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

What?!  No diamonds on black velvet views?! lol.gif

Congratulations on getting a good one!grin.gif waytogo.gif 

#13 raal

raal

Viking 1

• Loc: Serbia

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:09 AM

Finally, another excellent piece that deserved a good review! waytogo.gif

#14 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Skylab

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

Mike, thank you for the excellent write up. Looks promising.

#15 BillP

BillP

Hubble

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:06 PM

What?!  No diamonds on black velvet views?! lol.gif

Congratulations on getting a good one!grin.gif waytogo.gif

Nope...with all the money saved on getting the ED doublet over an ED triplet, not only are the visuals essentially the same, but those diamonds can now move off the black velvet and onto the fingers, necks, ears, wrists, and ankles of the observer or their spouse with all the savings grin.gif

Edited by BillP, 22 August 2018 - 12:07 PM.

• John O'Hara, Crow Haven, raal and 3 others like this

#16 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

Nope...with all the money saved on getting the ED doublet over an ED triplet, not only are the visuals essentially the same, but those diamonds can now move off the black velvet and onto the fingers, necks, ears, wrists, and ankles of the observer or their spouse with all the savings grin.gif

Shiny!  lol.gif You know how I like shiny things!

• Agatha and gene 4181 like this

#17 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: SW England

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Excellent report on what is clearly an excellent example of the ED150. Congratulations on getting a good one smile.gif

I've had two so far which did have optical problems so it's good to read that the design can perform very well.

I expect to receive my 3rd example of this scope in 2-3 weeks time so I hope that I can join you in heaping praises on the ED150 smile.gif

Just to say that I have not deliberately been "bashing" the Skywatcher ED150, just reporting my experiences with the scopes that I have received so far. I very much want the scope to be a success and to deliver that quality 6 inch class ED doublet experience  for a very reasonable price, just like my ED120 does at the 4.7 inch level.

Thanks for posting your report and I hope you continue to enjoy the scope smile.gif

Edited by John Huntley, 22 August 2018 - 01:27 PM.

• raal, KevH, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#18 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

First and foremost, I believe that the figure of the glass is what makes this scope a winner.  My star test is nearly perfect.  Simply amazing.  So, what does that equate to at the eyepiece?  Well, Saturn at 400x CLEAR, CRISP and photo like.  In fact, my buddy Darren, with 30+ years experience was cursing like a sailor because the image was simply much more than what was expected.  Encke Ring was clearly defined. 

Thanks for posting, looks like you have a good one.  Out of interest, what is the Encke Ring? I know about the Encke Minima 

and Division, but the "Encke ring" is a new one to me.

#19 BillP

BillP

Hubble

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

I'm sure he probably meant visually seeing the Encke Minima instead of Encke Ring, which is the darkening in the center of the A Ring.  The Encke Division/Gap is a more difficult observation probably needing larger apertures at higher magnifications as it is only a 325-km-wide gap at the outer edge of the A-ring.  I find the Enke Minima quaite an easy observation with a 6" scope, and a little more elusive with the 4".

Edited by BillP, 22 August 2018 - 02:43 PM.

#20 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

Mike, how can we believe you own this scope? 

lol.gif

#21 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

Hello Friends,

I have purposely waited to write my review of my new Skywatcher Evostar 150.  I have had the scope out about 7 times for 4 to 5 hours at a time.  In very poor seeing and in very good seeing.  I have been to Bortle 6, through Bortle 2 skies.  So, needless to say, I have had the pleasure to observe with it under very great conditions as well as very poor and everything in between.

I was skeptical to purchase this scope initially.  In fact, I believe I have a few posts somewhere on CN indicating that I was excited about the possibility of the scope but was nervous due to some of the negative reactions (shame on me for believing any of this... I should know better!).  After having the privilege of looking through a sample and seeing an amazing Jupiter and Wild Duck, I was sold.  I decided to purchase one for myself.

I hear all this crap on this forum (sorry if I anger some of you, not my intent) about the disappointment in not knowing the glass type.  Well, I am sure some of you have read Daniel Mounsey's expert opinion on the scope https://telescopes.n...atcher-evostar/ ... I can second that opinion with my 150.  At the eyepiece, REGARDLESS OF THE GLASS USED, what do the objects look like?  That is ALL that counts when using the scope visually (I am a visual observer ONLY).

First and foremost, I believe that the figure of the glass is what makes this scope a winner.  My star test is nearly perfect.  Simply amazing.  So, what does that equate to at the eyepiece?  Well, Saturn at 400x CLEAR, CRISP and photo like.  In fact, my buddy Darren, with 30+ years experience was cursing like a sailor because the image was simply much more than what was expected.  Encke Ring was clearly defined.  M51 was almost too good to be true.  Approximately the same detail of my C8 on M51... but due to the contrast, I would take the Evo150 view over my C8 anyday.  At the bortle 2 site (Walker Pass, CA), the bridge was visible and quite a bit of definition was present.  The contrast is just unbelievable.  The Swan, even without a filter was fantastic.  With a UHC (thanks Starman!), it was even better.  Same with the Lagoon.  M22 and M13... who says you need 8 inches of aperture to come to life?  I can tell you that these globs excel in this scope.  M24 REALLY blew me away.  I could see the dark nebula in the star field.  M31, 32, and 110 were simply fantastic.  Double stars were an absolute pleasure.  Izar, 70 Oph, and many others were breathtaking.  Open Clusters just kick butt in this scope.  The Double Cluster was mesmerizing and ET made me want to phone home!

This is a great planetary, double star, and deep sky scope.  Contrast, contrast, contrast!  Deep, dark backgrounds!  Many objects look 3D.

Also, the scope is VERY light for its size.  Rides my CEM60 really well.  About a 2 to 3 second dampening time at HIGH mag which is acceptable to me.  This is due to the fact that the EVO150 is over 51" in length with diagonal.

However, there are a few negatives or trade offs with this type of scope.  A 6 inch F8 refractor is BIG!!!!!  That means having an adjustable viewing chair that sits nearly on the ground is essential for viewing objects near zenith.  Also, I had a Takahashi FC100DF before, and the build quality is definitely many steps up.  Mine does not have a rotating focuser.  I have to continuously rotate the diagonal... not a huge deal, but still an inconvenience.  I will add a rotating FT or Moonlite, but the standard focuser works great.  Folks, the 2250 pays for the views.  The mechanics, while completely adequate, are not Takahashi like.  But, that was to be expected!

This is my new favorite scope.  I actually enjoy using it just a wee bit more than my 18 Obsession UC (that is saying a LOT)!

Mike, thanks for that report.  I have just two comments: 

1. With the exceptional seeing and transparency you apparently enjoy, a 6" f/15 Jaegers achromat I once owned performed just as well as your SW (and my APM), without "any objectionable false color."  This is true for the deep sky objects you observed as well as the planets.

2. The SW is a great bang for the buck, but if you replace the stock focuser with a 2.5" dual speed rotatable Moonlite at $450 plus an adapter, it no longer is.  If you are really planning to replace the focuser with a Moonlite, why not get the APM in the first place for the same money as the SW plus Moonlite, and get a better case, sliding dew shield, collimatable cell, and a focuser that does not need replacing to boot?

Just sayin'.

Dom Q.

• raal, Paul Morow, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#22 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

The Evostar 150 is an achromat. The Evostar 150ED is the new scope. You should update the thread title.

• Tyson M likes this

#23 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:26 PM

The Evostar 150 is an achromat. The Evostar 150ED is the new scope. You should update the thread title.

You can blame Sky-Watcher for using the naming of an older line but slapping ED on the end. I think ProED would have continued to be fine, but they probably didn't want confusion with the FPL-53 models. Except... those old ProED models are now also named Evostar xxxED... welp. People will just have to know what someone is talking about based on price and stated performance. If someone says "no objectionable color" then they must be talking about an ED scope.

• nuvax likes this

#24 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:40 PM

Yes, that there will be another used G11 on the market in a few months.

ohmy.gif    grin.gif

I have had a few over the years.

#25 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

But... it’s not a tak how can it be any good??? Just kidding! Congrats on your telescope! Was it delivered or did you pick it up at a dealer?

Once you go Tak you never go back jack.  But my AT102ED gets me around 85% of what a Tak can do for much cheaper.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics