•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MK Unitron 60579 stage/parts Needed-Rack wrecked by school kids

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Starsareus

Starsareus

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

Worked on this scope and gave to daughter, teacher who brought it to her school. Received call recently that X/y Stage was "messed up."  The stage(mounted on rt. side when at the scope) had worn out teeth.  Not sure of matching pinion gear.  Does anyone had these parts or a suitable used stage to replace this one?  Evidently kids not supervised when she took a1yr leave of absence!

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

I used to host Scouts for their astronomy certifications. I eventually gave that up for kids breaking things, sometimes purposely. Over the decades, that behavior seems to be getting worse. Either I'm less tolerant... or parents and orgs are no longer teaching the kids manners. Hmmm?! I know it only takes a couple to mess things up… problem is there always seems to be a couple.  Tom

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Voyager 1

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:39 AM

I used to host Scouts for their astronomy certifications. I eventually gave that up for kids breaking things, sometimes purposely. Over the decades, that behavior seems to be getting worse. Either I'm less tolerant... or parents and orgs are no longer teaching the kids manners. Hmmm?! I know it only takes a couple to mess things up… problem is there always seems to be a couple.  Tom

I agree , I had a stint teaching in high school (years 7 through 10 (science and math) to 12 (physics)) and the only way to describe the children in years 8 and 9 and 10 that's permissible here is they are feral. Year 7 was OK , the little kids were not corrupted yet, and years 11 and 12 were there because they largely wanted to learn and were focused and finally starting to act civilized and wanted to be treated like adults.

I gave up school teaching very promptly because I feared I would end up hitting some little twit and couldn't see my remaining sane if I spent another 10-15 years teaching in schools (nor did I have a high opinion of the behavior of the teaching staff , little better than the kids , a large part of the problem IMO).

I do think it's the fault of and poor child rearing and behavioral modeling of the parents and the teachers that has produced the out of control behavior we all see in kids now ….I'm sure my generation were much more considerate and respectful and not as prone to violent behavior , we learnt very early there were serious consequences if we did bad things.

Edited by Ian Robinson, 23 August 2018 - 01:44 AM.

#4 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Voyager 1

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:55 AM

Worked on this scope and gave to daughter, teacher who brought it to her school. Received call recently that X/y Stage was "messed up."  The stage(mounted on rt. side when at the scope) had worn out teeth.  Not sure of matching pinion gear.  Does anyone had these parts or a suitable used stage to replace this one?  Evidently kids not supervised when she took a1yr leave of absence!

You might try that guy who sells secondhand telescopes and parts based in Nevada. He may be able to source a part for you , or you might need to call in a machinist to make a replacement part.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:17 AM

Do you guys get this from friends and associates? >>>

So, they find out that you are interested in astronomy "as a hobby." They seem to assume that you had a toy telescope, as a kid, and never grew out of that fascination. Ironically, this is probably TRUE!

But, they extend that perspective, that astronomy and telescopes are a kid thing, that mature people grow out of, or retain as an arrested-maturation fascination.

I believe this explains why so many will say that Their Kid wants to "look thru your telescope" or asks for advice on buying a telescope "for my kid, price no object, willing to spend as much as $50!"

Most adults seem to be embarrassed to admit that they are actually interested in astronomy, and looking thru a telescope.  Tom

#6 Starsareus

Starsareus

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

TOMDEY/Ian, you bring up good points. Society is not what it was when I was a kid(now 70).  I'd say both good and bad.

So far donated 8 Telescopes & 3 Microscopes and this is the only one (I am aware of) that ended up taking damage.  

Glad I was a kid in the 50s & 60s, feel bad for the kids now- These are no longer "The Good old days."

But, kids still need our help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics