•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone tried the ZWO ASIair WiFi?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#26 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

how do you connect them up? my sky safari on iOS has a lighting to serial adapter

Skysafari works with the AsiAir to control the mount if you want that functionality.

#27 reddog1972

reddog1972

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

The only way your phone/tablet (android or iOS) connects to anything is via the AsiAir WiFi.  There is no hard connection to anything via your phone/tablet.  Your AsiAir will connect via USB/ST4 to your hand controller which will in turn interface with the mount.

#28 cbecke

cbecke

Vostok 1

• Loc: Williamsburg, VA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:52 AM

Two things I have wondered about have kept me from buying this yet.

1. How far away can I go and still connect and control? I’d like to be able to be inside my house, maybe 50-100 feet away.

The WiFi seems pretty strong, so it should work from inside the house. But the good thing is that once it's set up, you don't need to keep the phone connected in order for it to be running its program and continuing to autoguide. So you can set it up and walk away to the comfort of your house and go back to check on it as often as you wish to brave the cold.

• reddog1972 likes this

#29 cbecke

cbecke

Vostok 1

• Loc: Williamsburg, VA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:01 AM

how do you connect them up? my sky safari on iOS has a lighting to serial adapter

As stated before, the ASIair connects to the mount from one of its USB ports. For my AVX, this cable connects to the bottom of the hand controller (mini USB).

With WiFi, you connect the phone/tablet to the ASIair wifi signal, then open the ASIair app.

Once connected, you open up SkySafari and select "telescope" and "connect" and you'll be controlling the telescope.

• mumbles, TeamHawkins and reddog1972 like this

#30 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:41 AM

If I buy an EQDirecf cable for my Sirius mount. Will the ASIAIR be able to Control the EQ5?

I would buy the cable that’s USB to the phone jack port. This bypasses the HC

#31 Starblind

Starblind

Vostok 1

• Loc: Algonquin IL

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

I have been running the ASIAIR for a week now with an iOptron CEM25P and a Celestron CGEM and it works well with both.  One odd thing is that it won't return the iOptron to the zero position reliably after an imaging session but that's hardly a serious problem.  It's nice sitting in the kitchen while imaging when it is 14F outside.  So far everything has worked exceptionally well using the iPad 10 inch with WiFi and ATT 4G LTE for position and time sync (works on both mounts).  I bought the USB serial cable for the iOptron so I don't need the 9 pin cable anymore.  I'm looking at getting one for the CGEM.  Does it replace the laptop?  Only in winter.  I like SGP and the granular control, so I will go back to that when the weather warms up, but for now the ASIAIR is the go to tool for imaging sessions.  Set it and forget it (or look at it a few times an hour).  I have no answer for the meridian flip other than stop imaging, flip, and start over.  The plate solve is fantastic, 2 to 4 seconds to solve and sync.  I have yet to get a nice flat guide graph but likely that is due to focus and other considerations.  All in all, well worth the money.  I don't know if I could use it with the iPhone though, the display is way too small to see a decent preview.

Bob

• reddog1972 likes this

#32 reddog1972

reddog1972

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:56 PM

I just ordered another one for my second rig - that's how much I love it :-)

• mumbles likes this

#33 mumbles

mumbles

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Adirondacks

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

I just ordered another one for my second rig - that's how much I love it :-)

Mine is coming tomorrow I can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#34 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:34 AM

I have been running the ASIAIR for a week now with an iOptron CEM25P and a Celestron CGEM and it works well with both.  One odd thing is that it won't return the iOptron to the zero position reliably after an imaging session but that's hardly a serious problem.  It's nice sitting in the kitchen while imaging when it is 14F outside.  So far everything has worked exceptionally well using the iPad 10 inch with WiFi and ATT 4G LTE for position and time sync (works on both mounts).  I bought the USB serial cable for the iOptron so I don't need the 9 pin cable anymore.  I'm looking at getting one for the CGEM.  Does it replace the laptop?  Only in winter.  I like SGP and the granular control, so I will go back to that when the weather warms up, but for now the ASIAIR is the go to tool for imaging sessions.  Set it and forget it (or look at it a few times an hour).  I have no answer for the meridian flip other than stop imaging, flip, and start over.  The plate solve is fantastic, 2 to 4 seconds to solve and sync.  I have yet to get a nice flat guide graph but likely that is due to focus and other considerations.  All in all, well worth the money.  I don't know if I could use it with the iPhone though, the display is way too small to see a decent preview.

Bob

I don't know why, but the plate solver isn't working for me.

My setup is an C8 Edge + Hyperstar at f/2  and ASI1600MC Pro.

I would first do a preview of 5-15 seconds at f/2 and then press the plate solver. It said "Failed ! Solve took 108.2 seconds. 1222 stars detected: FOV 2.38 deg x 1.80 deg. Maybe too few stars or clouds. Please make sure the focal length 426mm is correct"

I will say I verified the focal length by going to http://nova.astrometry.net/, uploading an image with my setup and ensuring the FOV reported matched exactly the FOV reported by the ASIAir at the focal length I specified. 

As for too few stars....I can't see how 1222 stars isn't enough.

Lastly, I ensured the mount was pointing at Pleadies, the ASIAir app showed the RA/Dec to be very close to it.

So any other suggestions to get the plate solver to work?

#35 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:52 AM

ZWO is working on the Hyperstar with the ASIair plate solving. I have no issues plate solving with the ASIair and my other setups at 200mm, 800mm, and 1645mm focal length. For some reason on my 9.25” with the Hyperstar, it will not plate solve. I tried adjusting the exposure, BIN, gain and I verified my focal length through Astrometry. I think it has something to do with the database and the Hyperstar. I sent some test preview images to ZWO and they said they think they found the reason. Hopefully the next ASIair app release will support our Hyperstar lens. I love my ASIair.

#36 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:56 AM

It's probably missing an index file.
  • psandelle likes this

#37 Newfie Stargazer

Newfie Stargazer

Mariner 2

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:39 AM

Anyone know if there are future plans to support auto focus and or rotor?  Also, in reading the posts above I am lead to believe that it does not do meridian flips?

Jim

#38 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

The manual or tutorial videos from ZWO briefly mentions auto focus support in the future.

#39 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

ZWO was kind enough to provide me with their 1.08 beta.

It has support for Takahashi mounts and dither. Both of which I really needed. The dither option lets you specify 1-5 pixels of dither and length of settle times.

I was able to connect to my EM200. However, the mount will not respond to calibration or guide commands. It does work with ST-4. The mount does also slew.

Anyone know if that’s a bug or I didn’t setup something correctly?

#40 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:23 AM

ZWO is working on the Hyperstar with the ASIair plate solving. I have no issues plate solving with the ASIair and my other setups at 200mm, 800mm, and 1645mm focal length. For some reason on my 9.25” with the Hyperstar, it will not plate solve. I tried adjusting the exposure, BIN, gain and I verified my focal length through Astrometry. I think it has something to do with the database and the Hyperstar. I sent some test preview images to ZWO and they said they think they found the reason. Hopefully the next ASIair app release will support our Hyperstar lens. I love my ASIair.

the plate solving issue with hypderstar is fixed with V1.0.8 app

you can update the app from app store or google play

• kenkolen and psandelle like this

#41 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

ZWO was kind enough to provide me with their 1.08 beta.

It has support for Takahashi mounts and dither. Both of which I really needed. The dither option lets you specify 1-5 pixels of dither and length of settle times.

I was able to connect to my EM200. However, the mount will not respond to calibration or guide commands. It does work with ST-4. The mount does also slew.

Anyone know if that’s a bug or I didn’t setup something correctly?

we will check guide issue with Takahashi mount

thanks for the feedback

• kenkolen likes this

#42 Holltim4103

Holltim4103

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

Great, thanks Sam! I’ll have the Hyperstar out with the ASIair this weekend.

#43 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

Sam, May we request a couple feature?

1) Dither every X frames. This helps speed things up when taking many short exposures.

2) Add median to the information from the histogram plot (in addition to average

3) measure fwhm after each shot so you will know when to refocus

Thanks!!

#44 ippiu

ippiu

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

For me basic features are:

- polar alignment

- live stacking

When these features will be available, as sharpcap has, i will immediately buy asiair..

Edited by ippiu, 23 December 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#45 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:56 AM

I'm having an issue getting the ASIAir and SkySafari to work on EQMOD. 

On my ASIAir app, I selected EQMOD as the mount type and connected to my Orion Sirius via an EQ Direct cable. This connected wonderfully!

On my iPhone, I joined the ASIAir WiFI, opened SkySafari 6 pro, but there is no EQMOD option as the mount type in this app. No other mount type in the selection menu works. I tried Orion Sirius, Atlas, Nextstar 5, SynScan and some other random ones.

What should I do so I can use a proper planetarium app with the ASIAir and EQMOD?

Edited by joelin, 25 December 2018 - 01:57 AM.

#46 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:36 AM

I’m having another problem with the ASIAir.

Sometimes GoTo capability on ASIAir for EQMOD Mount to my Orion Sirius works fine, sometimes it doesn’t start. I’ll do one GoTo and it goes just fine and the next one doesn’t. It’s strange. I uploaded a video of the problem. https://youtu.be/VdezsBSInvI

Everything else about the mount works from the ASIAir. For example I can manually slew left right down up just fine. It’s just GTo that is failing.

Like today I was able to have GoTo working many times for 1 hour. Then it kept failing for 30 minutes and I gave up.

It’s unpredictable!! I don’t even know how to begin to debug this.

I like what the ASIAir does, but it seems there are still bugs to be worked out n

Edited by joelin, 26 December 2018 - 04:41 AM.

#47 Ron in Michigan

Ron in Michigan

Mariner 2

• Loc: W. Michigan

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

I have an awesome remote setup, but working on building up a light small system to be portable and easy.  Of course I'm really considering the asiair.

couple questions. 

MUST I use a hand control to do 1-2 star alignment first?  Or can I by pass the hand controller and simply plate solve as I do in my remote setup?  I really hated doing 2 star alignments to sync the hand control and don't even own a hand control for my Mach1.

It would be nice if it could interface to the polemaster - or run a similar software routine using the guide scope.  (dithering is a must). 

Edited by Ron in Michigan, 29 December 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#48 Pauls72

Pauls72

Vanguard

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:04 PM

I have an awesome remote setup, but working on building up a light small system to be portable and easy.  Of course I'm really considering the asiair.

couple questions. 

MUST I use a hand control to do 1-2 star alignment first?  Or can I by pass the hand controller and simply plate solve as I do in my remote setup?  I really hated doing 2 star alignments to sync the hand control and don't even own a hand control for my Mach1.

It would be nice if it could interface to the polemaster - or run a similar software routine using the guide scope.  (dithering is a must). 

With any planetarium program, if you are polar aligned, then all you should really need to do is do a sync, to get the mount and planetarium program in sync with the sky. Or do a plate solve.

Now it depends on the mount. Some mounts like many Celestron require that you do an alignment before they will start tracking.

The ASIair is locked into only ZWO cameras and only ZWO filter wheels. It's my understanding that the ASIair also does not allow a remote desktop connection.

You might want to consider a Stellar Mate or loading up your own Raspberry Pi with INDI, Ekos and Kstars. You could install the INDI version of the PoleMaster with these.

Stellar Mate is more of an open system, you can buy it complete ($155) or you can buy a Micro-SD card with the OS and software preloaded ($49) and then plug it into your own Raspberry Pi.

You can purchase your own Raspberry Pi and install the Linux OS, INDI, Kstars, Ekos or CCDciel and Polemaster software and be up and running for about $65.

You can do plate solving with any if these solutions.

https://www.stellarm...tellarmate.html

$35 Raspberry Pi 3b+

$10 Case

$10 Power Supply

$10 64GB Micro SD card

Linux OS, INDI, Ekos, Kstars, Stellarium, Carted du Ciel, CCDciel software is all free.

https://indilib.org/

https://edu.kde.org/kstars/

http://free-astro.org/index.php/Ekos

https://www.ap-i.net/ccdciel/en/start

INDI is the Open Systems equivalent of ASCOM. It runs on a bunch of operating systems and supports a bunch of devices. Most of the mount and camera manufacturers have INDI drivers available.

https://www.indilib.org/devices.html

You need to be reasonably computer literate to install and configure the software on a Raspberry Pi.

Edited by Pauls72, 29 December 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#49 lenrabinowitz

lenrabinowitz

Vanguard

• Loc: Risa

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

I just got this device and am having some problems.  Maybe you guys can help.

Celestron CGEM mount.  Main camera is an ASI 178 mc cooled.  Guide camera is a 290 mm mini.

1.  The AIR actually does not list the CGEM.  Should I use the AVX one, or the Nexstar one, or the Skywatcher Synscan one?  I have heard all three.

2.  Does the ASIAIR work with StarSense?  My guess is no.

3.  I just recently had the mount hypertuned.  Great improvement in performance but... ever since I started using the ASIAIR, the mount will slew to a target- and keep moving.  Backlash settings maybe?

4.  Ever since I started using the ASIAIR with the CGEM mount I have had a lot of trouble getting the AIR to connect.

5.  Do you run the guide camera right into the AIR, or through the main camera, or into the ST4 port on the mount?

Thanks!

#50 Hilbily

Hilbily

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

Im not familiar with Celestron, I can only help with #5. Plug the guider directly into the Asiair Pi.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics