•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone tried the ZWO ASIair WiFi?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#51 Starblind

Starblind

Vostok 1

• Loc: Algonquin IL

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

I've been using the AIR with a CGEM with no issues.  It works with the guide cam in the ASI183MM Pro or the AIR directly, however the choice of USB to Serial cable - then to the serial cable for the CGEM seems to make a bit of difference.  Just select the AVX since it is basically the same controller and it all works well.  It works just as well on an iOptron CEM25P especially if you buy the custom USB to RJ11 cable to avoid the Serial 9 Pin connections.  I have yet to try that with the CGEM, it might work....  You can't use StarSense, I use SkySafari, Cartes du Ciel, both work just fine.I have not seen any issues with the mount continuing on after a GoTo from the AIR App or SkySafari, but you should always PA, then Plate Solve and then sync to the mount.  If there are any discrepancies between the settings on the hand controller and the AIR config, things do get quite confused.

Bob.

#52 luiscalle

luiscalle

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lima - Peru

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:32 AM

I got an ASIAIR and is a great tool for intermediate astro-imagers. So intuitive and concentrates almost the whole process in ope app (previewing, focusing, platesolving, capturing, guiding)...Electronic focusing feature is coming soon. 

Simply, i love it !!..and i consider it quite better than Stellarmate.

Every guy who considers to go deeper in astrophotography, should have one.

Regards.

Luis.

#53 reddog1972

reddog1972

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:11 PM

One of the best things about the ASI air that I really appreciate is the total lack of lag between subs (as opposed to my experiences with SGP). This is most prominent when taking short exposures... instead of losing valuable time between exposures waiting for SGP to move on to the next image, the ASI air is seamless. Time is a valuable commodity and I've got 3 of them now, one dedicated to each rig.
  • mikefulb and premk19 like this

#54 CrossoverManiac

CrossoverManiac

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

With any planetarium program, if you are polar aligned, then all you should really need to do is do a sync, to get the mount and planetarium program in sync with the sky. Or do a plate solve.

Now it depends on the mount. Some mounts like many Celestron require that you do an alignment before they will start tracking.

The ASIair is locked into only ZWO cameras and only ZWO filter wheels. It's my understanding that the ASIair also does not allow a remote desktop connection.

You might want to consider a Stellar Mate or loading up your own Raspberry Pi with INDI, Ekos and Kstars. You could install the INDI version of the PoleMaster with these.

Stellar Mate is more of an open system, you can buy it complete ($155) or you can buy a Micro-SD card with the OS and software preloaded ($49) and then plug it into your own Raspberry Pi.

You can purchase your own Raspberry Pi and install the Linux OS, INDI, Kstars, Ekos or CCDciel and Polemaster software and be up and running for about $65.

You can do plate solving with any if these solutions.

https://www.stellarm...tellarmate.html

$35 Raspberry Pi 3b+

$10 Case

$10 Power Supply

$10 64GB Micro SD card

Linux OS, INDI, Ekos, Kstars, Stellarium, Carted du Ciel, CCDciel software is all free.

https://indilib.org/

https://edu.kde.org/kstars/

http://free-astro.org/index.php/Ekos

https://www.ap-i.net/ccdciel/en/start

INDI is the Open Systems equivalent of ASCOM. It runs on a bunch of operating systems and supports a bunch of devices. Most of the mount and camera manufacturers have INDI drivers available.

https://www.indilib.org/devices.html

You need to be reasonably computer literate to install and configure the software on a Raspberry Pi.

Can you run a ZWO camera off it?

#55 Bart Declercq

Bart Declercq

Viking 1

• Loc: Haaltert, Belgium

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:26 PM

Can you run a ZWO camera off it?

Yes

#56 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:40 AM

Yes

Two actually  one for imaging and one for guiding.

#57 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:41 AM

I've been using the AIR with a CGEM with no issues.  It works with the guide cam in the ASI183MM Pro or the AIR directly, however the choice of USB to Serial cable - then to the serial cable for the CGEM seems to make a bit of difference.  Just select the AVX since it is basically the same controller and it all works well.  It works just as well on an iOptron CEM25P especially if you buy the custom USB to RJ11 cable to avoid the Serial 9 Pin connections.  I have yet to try that with the CGEM, it might work....  You can't use StarSense, I use SkySafari, Cartes du Ciel, both work just fine.I have not seen any issues with the mount continuing on after a GoTo from the AIR App or SkySafari, but you should always PA, then Plate Solve and then sync to the mount.  If there are any discrepancies between the settings on the hand controller and the AIR config, things do get quite confused.

Bob.

It is a good tool.  The only complaint I have is the range of the wifi.  If you go to a different floor of your home, you get intermittent connections.   It is not reliable even at 2.4 GHz.....a range extender is needed.

#58 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

The current beta version has support for many DSLRs. My Canon 6D is among them. 

This is a nice benefit, being able to do focusing, dithering, guiding and timed exposures with the 6D. It sort of replaces Backyard EOS. 

#59 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

The current beta version has support for many DSLRs. My Canon 6D is among them. 

This is a nice benefit, being able to do focusing, dithering, guiding and timed exposures with the 6D. It sort of replaces Backyard EOS. 

Have you actually been able to download the beta version and use it?

#60 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

Yes. Ask them for it and they can add you to it.

#61 Starblind

Starblind

Vostok 1

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

I don't use a DSLR anymore, but that would be a nice addition.  What we REALLY need is a polar alignment option.  Having to do that separately with Sharpcap or PHD drift or something else is the real PITA.  Once we get that sorted (it already plate solves exceptionally well) it will be the best tool (for ZWO cameras at least) in the business.  Still waiting..........

In the interim a friend of mine built a Stellarmate so I'm going to try that out with Ethernet as opposed to WiFi and see how that works.  I'll use it on the CGEM for now, I might be able to get everything working and I'll report back her on the main differences.  That actually has a PA tool AND already supports DSLR's and various mounts.

Bob.

• mikefulb likes this

#62 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:33 PM

Why do you need a polar alignment option? I’ve never used one before. I just use the reticle on my equatorial mount to align it as best as I can and it usually is not a problem to do unguided exposures of 30 seconds at moderate focal lengths

#63 Starblind

Starblind

Vostok 1

Posted 24 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

I don't really do any visual, I'm imaging narrow band so accurate PA for 300 second exposures in HA/OII/S11 is rather important.  I tend to use Sharpcap to get PA as close as possible, drift align if necessary, then start shooting.  I don't really do any unguided shooting, although if I could afford a RASA I probably would.  I just don't have $1700 spare right now.  All joking aside, it would be a  nice to have feature rather than using a separate computer/software setup to get PA then plate solve and shoot with the ASIAIR.  Apparently it is a feature that may well be included in the future, however IMHO it should have been a priority.  You can't get Ha unguided or without pretty accurate PA.

IMG 0127

Bob.

Edited by Starblind, 24 March 2019 - 01:20 PM.

#64 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

I don't really do any visual, I'm imaging narrow band so accurate PA for 300 second exposures in HA/OII/S11 is rather important.  I tend to use Sharpcap to get PA as close as possible, drift align if necessary, then start shooting.  I don't really do any unguided shooting, although if I could afford a RASA I probably would.  I just don't have $1700 spare right now.  All joking aside, it would be a  nice to have feature rather than using a separate computer/software setup to get PA then plate solve and shoot with the ASIAIR.  Apparently it is a feature that may well be included in the future, however IMHO it should have been a priority.  You can't get Ha unguided or without pretty accurate PA.

Bob.

I agree with your comments.   PA should somehow be included.  I am running all ZWO cameras (guiding and imaging) and the ASI AIR application basically cannot be started until the scope is polar aligned and two or three star calibrated.  All of this should be included in the application..

#65 Phillysoc

Phillysoc

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

Yes. Ask them for it and they can add you to it.

Thanks will do.  I have ZWO cameras but I also have a DSLR I would love to use as well in some applications.   

#66 aaube

aaube

Mariner 2

• Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

It's a good device.  I'm now using one with a range extender and that has

solved all connections issues i've had at first.

Polar alignment would be nice, specially when going mobile.  There's also a few more things i'd like to see implemented

in a future software version;

1-The possibility of having a variable transparency image (of a previous session) set in the background

in preview mode.  It would make multi-night imaging easier.

2-When scope position is near the limit (of hitting the pier),

a flip function to the same coordinates in the mount controls panel.

3-After plate solving, an optional switchable layer, with basic informations

of what's on the image.

Alain

#67 keano

keano

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:29 AM

It's a good device.  I'm now using one with a range extender and that has

solved all connections issues i've had at first.

Polar alignment would be nice, specially when going mobile.  There's also a few more things i'd like to see implemented

in a future software version;

1-The possibility of having a variable transparency image (of a previous session) set in the background

in preview mode.  It would make multi-night imaging easier.

2-When scope position is near the limit (of hitting the pier),

a flip function to the same coordinates in the mount controls panel.

3-After plate solving, an optional switchable layer, with basic informations

of what's on the image.

Alain

Alain,

what range extender did you use? I find the range Absolutely horrible! a few metres at best! through glass door, forget it.

#68 aaube

aaube

Mariner 2

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

I'm using a TP-Link AC1750 through a wall and a glass door, about 15 to 20 meters.

Alain

• keano likes this

#69 stuart0356

stuart0356

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, VA USA

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

I'm using a TP-Link AC1750 through a wall and a glass door, about 15 to 20 meters.

Alain

Do place the extender on an outlet outside or on an outlet or inside your house? Thanks.

#70 aaube

aaube

Mariner 2

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:54 PM

Do place the extender on an outlet outside or on an outlet or inside your house? Thanks.

Both placement worked.  Since i tend to forget about it, i prefer inside, just by the glass door.

That's about 5 meters from where i place the mount. It allows me to monitor it from my office, at the

other end of the house.

#71 joelin

joelin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:19 AM

When I plug my canon 6d to my asi air it’s esily detected. 

Wheni do do the same with my Nikon d5500 (and turn camera on and in M mode)I don’t see the camera as a choice in the initial drop down for cameras. 

Amyone know now the issue? On the canon I use a mini USB port on 5e camera body. On the Nikon I have a Usb cable plugged onto the lower port ...the one that has the USB icon and AV out. 

Why wont the a

Asi Air connect to the nikon but can to the canon?

#72 Sealyons

Sealyons

Sputnik

• Loc: Westfield, MA

Posted 09 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

I have a question about AsiAir. I just got one and am having problems connecting it to my phone which doesn't support 5ghz WiFi. I know the Air defaults to 5ghz and can be changed to 2.4ghz through the app but since the app won't allow you to do anything until connected I'm stuck. Does anyone know how to switch the Air to 2.4ghz without using the app? Is there a config file on the Pi that can be changed that will make it boot using 2.4ghz? Or are the any other methods to make this happen? Appreciate any help.

#73 Starblind

Starblind

Vostok 1

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

I have a question about AsiAir. I just got one and am having problems connecting it to my phone which doesn't support 5ghz WiFi. I know the Air defaults to 5ghz and can be changed to 2.4ghz through the app but since the app won't allow you to do anything until connected I'm stuck. Does anyone know how to switch the Air to 2.4ghz without using the app? Is there a config file on the Pi that can be changed that will make it boot using 2.4ghz? Or are the any other methods to make this happen? Appreciate any help.

Which iPhone is it?  All 6 and above support 5Ghz automatically, if the ASIAIR does not show up then the WiFi isn't working or it isn't booting up.  You don't get to choose 5Ghz on the iPhone, you should name your WiFi 2.4 or 5G so you know which is which, but the problem is unlikely to be the iPhone.  You should be able to see the WiFi network from an iPad, iPhone, PC Laptop or Android device if it is broadcasting.  Mine shows up on every device in the house.

Bob.

#74 Sealyons

Sealyons

Sputnik

• Loc: Westfield, MA

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

I don't have an iPhone, running Android on an LG x-charge which doesn't support 5ghz only 2.4 unfortunately. I can see the Air from my laptop so I know it's broadcasting. I can't find a PC app for the Air, if there was something available then I could login and make the frequency change via that app. Again just need to switch the Air to 2.4ghz somehow. I've contacted ZWO but haven't heard anything back yet.

#75 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:07 AM

I don't have an iPhone, running Android on an LG x-charge which doesn't support 5ghz only 2.4 unfortunately. I can see the Air from my laptop so I know it's broadcasting. I can't find a PC app for the Air, if there was something available then I could login and make the frequency change via that app. Again just need to switch the Air to 2.4ghz somehow. I've contacted ZWO but haven't heard anything back yet.

you can edit the /boot/ASIAIR_Config.txt file with the card reader on PC

Set the follow parameter

#ASIAIR boot as 2.4GHZ WiFi if set to 1
AP_boot_24G=1

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics