•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Degree Circles

• Please log in to reply
1286 replies to this topic

#1226 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

That may do it for you, although you might need two layers.  Although red light is generally considered best for maintaining dark adaptation, the key is just keeping the intensity of light low enough, regardless of color.  My glow-in- the- dark labels on the scope are evidence of that. 

For others joining this thread and considering buying a first Wixey gauge, however, I'd recommend the new one available described above a few posts back. 

#1227 lakland5

lakland5

Mariner 2

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

That may do it for you, although you might need two layers.  Although red light is generally considered best for maintaining dark adaptation, the key is just keeping the intensity of light low enough, regardless of color.  My glow-in- the- dark labels on the scope are evidence of that. 

For others joining this thread and considering buying a first Wixey gauge, however, I'd recommend the new one available described above a few posts back. 

Thanks-- I know about red light/adaptation and think your advice for others to buy differently than I did is sound and wish I had seen your earlier posts before getting my current gauge!

But, for the moment, I am in fact going to try one and two layers of the film, another vendor's version of which was suggested as a fix for the Wixey's brightness in another thread a few days ago (I posted a reply there too).  

This may not fix the problem, but my attempt to use red film made the gauge unreadable (complementary colors)--so giving this a go.  The film will be good to have for other uses in any event.

#1228 lakland5

lakland5

Mariner 2

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:18 PM

Following on the Wixey gauge brightness posts:  

I got a sheet of LightDims film,

http://lightdims.com/

and will try it out at night when the clouds lift.  

Photo to give some idea of the effect:
attachicon.gifIMG_3945.jpg

This may be enough to keep from buying another angle gauge.   Will report back.

(seems odd to be answering my own prior post but...)

Report back:   observing last night at a green-zone site (Middle Fork Forest Preserve, NE of Champaign, IL), two layers of the LightDims film on the green-LED-lit Wixey was perfect.  Clearly readable and no apparent detriment to  dark adaptation.  Might only need one layer for less-dark conditions--will try this weekend at yellow-zone site.

Edited by lakland5, 02 September 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#1229 Mlei

Mlei

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

Today I picked up laminated setting cycle for my Z12 back from Staple in Cupertino, CA. The price was $33 but due to a big wrinkle I got 10% off. The store had to send this paper to warehouse to laminate due to the big size. I need to cut/trim to the cycle myself. The laminate/printing was on 36 width roll.

There is a long wrinkle and a small one on the paper so distort the cycle a little, it is not too bad. The store explained to me the laminate machine has problem to make the big thin paper totally flat during the process so these wrinkles are expected. If I want total flat, I can choose to print on poster but it would be over $30 for the paper and over $50 adding laminating.

If you want setting cycle on 12 inch dob, the setting cycle is no longer very cheap.

Edited by Mlei, 21 October 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#1230 pgrunwald

pgrunwald

Mariner 2

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

Is there a tool out there that can generate a custom sized degree circle for a specified diameter? I just bought a Z10 and will need to create a degree circle for it. I believe the Z10 has a base diameter of 22". I'd like my degree circle to be around 23" in diameter so it's slightly wider than the base so I will not have to create a viewing window by notching the base. I don't have the power tools for such a task.

I found this today - anything better out there without going through all 50 pages of the thread?

http://www.blocklaye...r-printeng.aspx

• Stacyjo1962 and Megiddo like this

#1231 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

And there is this 18" dia. degree circle/tool:

http://www.circleper...ge-degree-scale

#1232 jonkjon

jonkjon

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hartfield, VA

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

Firstly, thanks to everyone for this thread. I had problems finding somewhere to print a laminated copy for my 12" Lightbridge that didn't want a ton of cash to do the job. So, I gambled and printed one out from the PDF viewer on multiple pieces of inkjet transparency film and just taped them down. While not beautiful, it works fine for my needs. Just make sure you use a decent quality transparency film and they should hold up to moisture pretty well.

--Jon

• Roger Corbett and Stacyjo1962 like this

#1233 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:05 PM

This seems to be a very nice thread, although  I've only managed to read about 15% of it.

I have a question for you guys:

If I wanted to build a DIY electronic "astronomy" inclinometer, something challenging the wixey commercial one, ¿what would you say are the required features?

So far I see:

* display is red light (not green, white, etc).

* display is dimmable (controllable brightness)

* one decimal digit (or "resolution of one tenth of a degree").

* can be zeroed or adjusted, so that it does not need to be strictly parallel to the OTA (usable in more comfortable positions)

¿what else would you add?

#1234 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

Pretty obvious, but a magnetic base is nice.

• Adun likes this

#1235 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Another feature that the Wixey has:  It will retain its calibration (zeroing) even when turned off and on again.  That is handy.

• Adun likes this

#1236 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

Another feature that the Wixey has:  It will retain its calibration (zeroing) even when turned off and on again.  That is handy.

Good stuff. It can be done with an arduino.

I'm guessing a zeroable electronic compass is not needed much (and would conflict with the magnetic base), right?

#1237 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

I'm guessing a zeroable electronic compass is not needed much (and would conflict with the magnetic base), right?

The problem with using a magnetic compass for azimuth, as has been touched on numerous times in  this thread, is in insufficient accuracy and resolution. This is the case even if magnets aren't used on the scope.  (I however, use several for various accessories).

Even after adjusting for local magnetic declination, most compasses are good for only plus or minus a couple of degrees and are easily influenced by moving ferrous objects near them.  The simple, large diameter azimuth scales as we are using are easily good to a small fraction of a degree however, and only have to be tweaked at setup to agree in azimuth with a single bright object whose current azimuth position can be referenced with a good sky app.

(The freebie Sky Portal, which is a simpler version of Sky Safari allows you to center an object in the screen and will then provide up to the second alt-azimuth coordinates).

Edited by jtsenghas, 12 April 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#1238 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

I was thinking more in the lines of helping align the azimuth circle to true north, although I understand any star can be used for that.

#1239 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

Today I picked up laminated setting cycle for my Z12 back from Staple in Cupertino, CA. The price was $33 but due to a big wrinkle I got 10% off..... I can choose to print on poster but it would be over $30 for the paper and over $50 adding laminating.

If you want setting cycle on 12 inch dob, the setting cycle is no longer very cheap.

It appears to me that going larger than 24" diameter crosses a significant price threshold at Staples, at least at my local store in Ohio. I plotted my 21" diameter circle at work (it helps to have a 40" wide roll printer at work) and was charged $8.20 for laminating. I asked what they would have charged for printing that size as well and was quoted $2.30. That particular laminator at Staples can manage up to 24" wide items.

Edited by jtsenghas, 14 April 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#1240 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

This seems to be a very nice thread, although  I've only managed to read about 15% of it.

If you read just the last few pages of this thread you'll get good enough current information. Fortunately star apps have developed recently to the extent that it is really easy to dial in one's setup to match current coordinates and it is really easy to center an object displayed on an app to up to the second coordinates of targets.

With the new model of Wixey level it is easy to tip the LCD display to a comfortable angle to read by red flashlight. 

Edited by jtsenghas, 14 April 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#1241 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

I recently upgraded my setting circle setup with a vernier scale: 

20170413_211033_resized.jpg

More details can be found on the ATM forum here

• Rusted and SeaBee1 like this

#1242 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

Is there a tool out there that can generate a custom sized degree circle for a specified diameter? I just bought a Z10 and will need to create a degree circle for it. I believe the Z10 has a base diameter of 22". I'd like my degree circle to be around 23" in diameter so it's slightly wider than the base so I will not have to create a viewing window by notching the base. I don't have the power tools for such a task.

I found this today - anything better out there without going through all 50 pages of the thread?

I used this and had it printed at Staples today for my 23-1/4" circle (cost $15)... it looks great and I believe it'll be perfect.   Now to get it laid down.

http://i5.photobucke...zps77s0kxu1.jpg

Thank you UAwildcat!!!

#1243 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

I used this and had it printed at Staples today for my 23-1/4" circle (cost $15)... it looks great and I believe it'll be perfect.   Now to get it laid down.

Thank you UAwildcat!!!

If any of you want to use the copy I drew myself and show in post 1241 above, help yourselves to this copy.  I drew it in AutoCAD.

The actual circle for the tick marks is at a 9" radius, so it is designed for a pointer at a 9" radius or 18" diameter.  If you print it at 100% size, that is what you'll get. You can always scale it up slightly at the printer--for example if you want the pointer on an approximately  23.25" circle, you would print it at 129%

Attached Files

#1244 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

I used this and had it printed at Staples today for my 23-1/4" circle (cost $15)... it looks great and I believe it'll be perfect. Now to get it laid down.

Thank you UAwildcat!!!
If any of you want to use the copy I drew myself and show in post 1241 above, help yourselves to this copy. I drew it in AutoCAD.

The actual circle for the tick marks is at a 9" radius, so it is designed for a pointer at a 9" radius or 18" diameter. If you print it at 100% size, that is what you'll get. You can always scale it up slightly at the printer--for example if you want the pointer on an approximately 23.25" circle, you would print it at 129%

Oh very nice. Wished I saw that one. But oh well for the price it might be worth doing again and have them mount on poster board of some type.

#1245 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

I used this and had it printed at Staples today for my 23-1/4" circle (cost $15)... it looks great and I believe it'll be perfect. Now to get it laid down.

Thank you UAwildcat!!!
If any of you want to use the copy I drew myself and show in post 1241 above, help yourselves to this copy. I drew it in AutoCAD.

The actual circle for the tick marks is at a 9" radius, so it is designed for a pointer at a 9" radius or 18" diameter. If you print it at 100% size, that is what you'll get. You can always scale it up slightly at the printer--for example if you want the pointer on an approximately 23.25" circle, you would print it at 129%

Oh very nice. Wished I saw that one. But oh well for the price it might be worth doing again and have them mount on poster board of some type.

Note that this is a clockwise version, designed for a movable pointer on a stationary base.  If your setup is with a spinning scale and a stationary pointer you will need a counterclockwise scale.

I can easily read it and the digital level from the focuser side of my telescope with a dim red flashlight. I made the lines thick enough and the numbers large enough for that purpose. You may prefer a simple pointer like a clock hand for the indicator. 

Edit - you can also crop it a little if 24" is a threshold for paper size.  The outer circle is 20" as drawn, but the rectangle it is in is 21" I think.  At 129 percent the rectangle would be more than 24", but it is not needed. 

20170417_161631_resized.jpg

Edited by jtsenghas, 18 April 2017 - 05:46 AM.

• Megiddo likes this

#1246 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hello all.

For those interested on the limits of what can be done with compass based setting circles, I built this device to help me do quick/basic compass-based polar alignment:

IMG_20170520_213607.jpg

It features:

• Zeroable Compass (not tilt compensated), with 0.1 degree resolution, and stores offset to EEPROM.
  • Zeroable Clinometer with 0.1 degree resolution. Stores offset to EEPROM.
  • Zeroable 2 axis digital Level with 0.1 degree resolution. Stores offsets to EEPROM.
  • Brightness control.
  • 8 digit, 7 segment LED display and rotary knob for user interface.
  • Runs on AA batteries.

You can find a 6 minute youtube description of how it works here: https://youtu.be/bIwke95pRPY

If you are interested, the Arduino source code is on github: https://github.com/vlaate/ledDSC

• Steve D. and JimC2 like this

#1247 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Doe anyone know if Rob Willett's Setting Circle Generator page is gone for good or if it's been moved?

-Steve

#1248 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Hello all.

For those interested on the limits of what can be done with compass based setting circles, I built this device to help me do quick/basic compass-based polar alignment:

IMG_20170520_213607.jpg

It features:

• Zeroable Compass (not tilt compensated), with 0.1 degree resolution, and stores offset to EEPROM.
  • Zeroable Clinometer with 0.1 degree resolution. Stores offset to EEPROM.
  • Zeroable 2 axis digital Level with 0.1 degree resolution. Stores offsets to EEPROM.
  • Brightness control.
  • 8 digit, 7 segment LED display and rotary knob for user interface.
  • Runs on AA batteries.

You can find a 6 minute youtube description of how it works here: https://youtu.be/bIwke95pRPY

If you are interested, the Arduino source code is on github: https://github.com/vlaate/ledDSC

Cool device.  Thanks for posting.  I think I may have found a new project. smile.gif

#1249 jag32

jag32

Apollo

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

What type of material/paper/instructions do I give at Staples/Office Depot/etc. when having setting circles printed?  What is the best material to print on?

• SeaBee1 likes this

#1250 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

What type of material/paper/instructions do I give at Staples/Office Depot/etc. when having setting circles printed?  What is the best material to print on?

I used a different local printer, and just gave them the PDF of the circle and had them scale it to the proper size. I had them print it on what they called "banner paper". It is semi waterproof and pretty durable.

Good luck!

CB

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics