•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Degree Circles

• Please log in to reply
1286 replies to this topic

#1276 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

Alternatively, for a reasonable price you could purchase a gauge that has an unlit LCD display and resolution of 0.1 degrees, like this one. Since you presumably need a dim red flashlight to read an azimuth circle, why not use it on the inclinometer too? 

• AnalogKid likes this

#1277 AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Viking 1

• Loc: North/West of Pittsburgh PA

Posted 01 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, AnalogKid. What is it exactly? It looks like a vinyl portfolio or some sort of wrapping.

Sorry about that.  It's a red, clear, frosted report cover.   I tape it on, and use the top piece of tape as a hing.  THis way I can lift it up and use it during the day if needed like when setting up (have since installed a bullseye level in the base) or this past summer, I would use venus to calibrate, and go look for Jupiter, and Saturn before they were naked eye. Still too light out with the cover in place, so I would flip it up.

THis is why there are two chunks taken out of the report cover.   The tape got so worn, the first cover fell off and I didn't know.  If you PM my, I can send you my address, and if you send a SASE, I can send you a chunk

#1278 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

I have used a piece of red electrical tape on my gauge.  It definitly dims the display, but I was unhappy with the "frosting" effect it had on the readout -- numbers were a bit blurry.  I got some Dim-it sheets https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and this fixed the problem.  Sharp numbers and good dimming on the display...

#1279 Natdiamond

Natdiamond

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

I recently acquired a new to me Z12 dob. I had office depot print and laminate my 25" circle for the base last night for $12. My plan was to mount it to the lower base. Then cut a viewing window in the upper base. Then use a magnetic inclometer on top of the OTA. But I like this much better! I am going to experiment with manipulating an office binder clip. So I can leave 2 flat lips that I can CLAMP to the bottom base. Leaving enough clearance between the 2 plates. If successful, I could potentially clamp the pointer to the bottom plate. No magnets or screws. Maybe?
  • Richie2shoes likes this

#1280 Marvin452

Marvin452

Lift Off

• Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:55 PM

Here is a source for a decal of the azimuth circle:

Callie-graphics.com

$25.00 shipped for a 21" circle
Just send Callie your pdf and its size.

I've used her services many times in the past and she has never let me down.

#1281 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

I recently acquired a new to me Z12 dob. I had office depot print and laminate my 25" circle for the base last night for $12. My plan was to mount it to the lower base. Then cut a viewing window in the upper base. Then use a magnetic inclometer on top of the OTA. But I like this much better! I am going to experiment with manipulating an office binder clip. So I can leave 2 flat lips that I can CLAMP to the bottom base. Leaving enough clearance between the 2 plates. If successful, I could potentially clamp the pointer to the bottom plate. No magnets or screws. Maybe?

I thought this was a great idea.  When I added the circle to the top of the base on my AD12, I tacked metal strapping to the bottom base and used a magnet/clock hand as the pointer but I wasn't happy with the set up.  First the strapping didn't fit right and second, the corner of the uprights on the dob base would hit the pointer and knock it out of alignment.  

The problem with the binder clip is there's not enough space between the ground boards.  First I clipped the binder clip to a scrap of plywood about a quarter inch narrower than the ground board and heated it with a torch so it would stay open. Then I used a dremel to cut off the rolled end of one side of the clip and used JB Weld to attach the rolled part to top of the clip, towards the back.  I took a spring from a ballpoint pen, glued a plastic pointer (actually a tine from a plastic fork) to one end of the spring and attached the spring to the silver part of the binder clip.

It works great.  I can clip onto the bottom board where ever I need and the spring keeps everything lined up.  There's just enough tension left in the clip so I don't have to worry about it slipping off.

clip pointer
pointer

#1282 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:22 AM

Anyone else think this thread should be a stickie?

It used to be permanently attached to the top of this forum. 

Jon 

• AstraGeekette likes this

#1283 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:23 AM

Yup.  Lots of good info here.

#1284 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

I'd like to see it as a sticky again because I've found the need every few months to direct others who are looking precisely for these things to it.

It's a bit intimidating in length after 13 years, and only the last several pages are necessary to get a complete up to date take on it. With modern phone apps like Sky Safari these tools are easy to use. Remember that when this thread came out in 2006 the "Sky Scout" was listed as A Sky and Telescope Magazine "Product of the Year"! 

I'd like to encourage people to use for the altitude readings modern digital angle gauges with two readings, only one of which can be zeroed. The Wixey I mentioned in post 1276 is a delight to use at a dark site with a dim red flashlight used on it and the analog azimuth circle.

I haven't researched other angle gauges that have unlit LCD displays, but that is the way I prefer to go. I am equipping my 12.5" scope (nearly done) the same way.

Take note of the various circles offered recently including the one I recently shared on this thread. I drew it for maximum readability at a distance. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#1285 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

I'd like to encourage people to use for the altitude readings modern digital angle gauges with two readings, only one of which can be zeroed. The Wixey I mentioned in post 1276 is a delight to use at a dark site with a dim red flashlight used on it and the analog azimuth circle.

:waytogo:

Excellent.  I remembered your recommendation of a specific Wixie and wantedmtobtry it out. I have a Craftsman which works for my purposes, spotting Mercury and Venus in the twilight. The display is bright green. But I have experimented with using it at night and the green is just too bright and I haven't figured out a way to dim it properly.

I was near a Rocklers the other day so I went in to look at their Wixie's but couldn't figure which one you'd recommended. I walked out empty handed. I searched for the post and couldn't find it.. :)

So this is a stroke of good luck for me. The Wixie that can be illuminated with a red light is the 365..

In the past, I have asked the mods to make this threadca stickie as it's filled with useful information and I frequently post a link to it. Maybe if others ask as well, it can happen.

Jon

#1286 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

One feature I like about that model Wixey is that the screen can be tilted upwards so that if it is mounted lower down, such as on an altitude bearing, it can be read without requiring the user to stoop. 

When the screen times out, you merely have to poke the "ON/ZERO" button to bring it back on and displaying current coordinates. You do have to be careful, however, not to pile that button BEFORE it time out, or you will accidentally re-zero it.

This is the view looking down from my eyepiece with that display tilted up. I can see both the Wixey and my azimuth circle from there. With the vernier scale on the circle I don't have to bend over to read both altitude and azimuth to a tenth of a degree. High power eyepiece finding WORKS!

Screenshot_20190808-212412_Gallery_compress26.jpg

Edited by jtsenghas, 08 August 2019 - 08:28 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#1287 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:28 PM

One feature I like about that model Wixey is that the screen can be tilted upwards so that if it is mounted lower down, such as on an altitude bearing, it can be read without requiring the user to stoop. 

When the screen times out, you merely have to poke the "ON/ZERO" button to bring it back on and displaying current coordinates. You do have to be careful, however, not to pile that button BEFORE it time out, or you will accidentally re-zero it.

This is the view looking down from my eyepiece with that display tilted up. I can see both the Wixey and my azimuth circle from there. With the vernier scale on the circle I don't have to bend over to read both altitude and azimuth to a tenth of a degree. High power eyepiece finding WORKS!

I bought the Model 365 at Rockler's this afternoon, it was $40.  I like it, it seems accurate, I was able to find Jupiter about an hour before sunset.  I am not using an azimuth circle, just depending on intuition and sweeping.

Jon

• jtsenghas likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics