•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Degree Circles

• Please log in to reply
1300 replies to this topic

#1301 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:54 AM

I had not seen this thread before.

Carol, really nice job on that AZ circle.

I know this is an old thread, but it is worth bringing back so others can see what you did.

I am interested to know if you still use this method to find things or have you moved to a different approach.

Ed, things have changed a LOT since the beginning of this thread, and for the BETTER as far as using these circles and inclinometers are concerned. 

Current phone apps make getting alt-az coordinates of objects a breeze. 

New inclinometers include the un-illuminated tiltable displays of the Wixey Model WR365. This one also has one scale that can be zeroed, and one that is fixed, and is easily accurate within 0.1 degrees. 

I recommend you read just the last four or five pages to get up to date. Several of us have drawn circles optimized for this use and have shared the files on these pages.  

All my future scopes will have these. 

Edited by jtsenghas, 16 November 2020 - 12:00 PM.

• aeajr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics