•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunch with Oberwerk's Kevin Busarow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

A little chit chat

Kevin was in town yesterday on business, so my wife and I were honored to have him as a guest for lunch. As many of you know, Kevin is great peeps.

We talked about what a great time it is for those who love binoculars. Over the past ten years, for the large part prices have come down and quality has gone up. Indeed, Kevin left behind an inexpensive pair of 6.5x32 WA and wow, very impressive glass (BAK 4) for that price point ($70!). They'll upgrade an ancient set of 7x50s I keep for birding in my truck glove box.

Oddly enough, Kevin and I got into binoculars in much the same way, though he a decade or so earlier. We both got hooked by looking through big eyes. I spent some time behind a pair of Fujinon 25x150s at a fish camp in Mexico. He checked out a set of 25/40x100mm Chinese "border guard" binos and had to find out more (Obie still sells this venerable unit). The rest, as they say, is history.

Anyway, great to chat with one of the industry icons.

~ Foss

• ArizonaScott, Erik Bakker, Lewis Cason and 3 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

I will take this opportunity to thank Kevin for the two excellent pairs of large Oberwerk binoculars that I currently own, as well as Linda for the excellent customer service that came along with both of them as almost a package deal. Without spending an excessive amount of money I am now equipped with two solid instruments of a high mechanical and pleasing optical quality that are almost certain to last and be reliable, night after night, for the rest of my life.

Once again, a sincere "thank you" to the both of you and the rest of the team at Oberwerk. Your work and efforts are much appreciated by us binocular astronomers.

• Lewis Cason likes this

#3 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

I would also like to thank Kevin and Co. I could not be more pleased with their new flagship BT100XL’s which replaced my 25x100 deluxe also from Kevin. Great product, great service.

• Lewis Cason likes this

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:19 PM

It must be remembered that quite apart from Kevin's core business happening to be in what I personally perceive to be an increasingly "cut-throat" situation in the binocular market place, Kevin has steered his business ship through some very stormy economic waters througout the past decade or so, and must be heartily applauded for that.

Well done, Kevin!

• Lewis Cason likes this

#5 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Gemini

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

Re # 1:

What was  the "business"?.    Does he now have a local rep sales and/or maintenance?   Did he go to SPIE?  I was there four days.   Landline phone malfunctioning, but I have a replacement  ready to install and program.  

Did you  and/or he to the backcountry for stargazing?  I did an all-nighter  north of  the border, north of Campo, the night after the Perseid meteor  predicted peak.    Lost count after 40 or so.   Zodiacal light,  15 x 50 Canon, naked eye , and WW II 7 x 50 B&L wide angle with original mask( which relieves the arms when looking up).  No tarantulas, nor coyotes nearby,  nor  wetbacks or "mules"  heard.  Some dew  on my pants, but  not on binocs  ??.  Temps  not below 60 deg.  F.  I should guess. 

Why not  get a 25 x 150   , instead of chasing  so much    locally? To flip? or to stockpile?,  or to hoard?

Edited by Gordon Rayner, 24 August 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#6 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Soyuz

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

Yep, Kevin is a great guy to deal with.  I own a few of his binos and one of the things I like is that he actually checks collimation on the new units before shipping.  Saves a lot of hassel.

• Astroman007 likes this

#7 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

Dealt with Kevin several times over the years, always a good experience, now with the Canadian dollar being in the basement it makes their stuff expensive, but if things pick up I would not hesitate to deal with them again, to anyone in the USA he is well worth looking at, waytogo.gif D

• spec-tickle likes this

#8 barbie

barbie

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

I make it a point to take a break from my usual planet/double star observing to do some binocular observing at least once during the summer under a dark sky and when I do, I use my Oberwerk 11x70mm LW.  Fantastic binoculars at a sensible price.  Very sharp out to the edge of the field and excellent light transmission.  The certainly perform much beyond their price class!!  Oberwerk is also a pleasure to do business with and if I'm ever in the market for a larger set of binoculars, they will be where I will buy.

• Astroman007 likes this

#9 ScumotheUniverse

ScumotheUniverse

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: first dark primordial pool.

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:29 PM

I had a pair of 20X80 Oberwerks go over on a tripod in a wind storm some years ago. One of the eyepieces got banged up extensively. Kevin had a heck of a time getting things back in order, but he, "never gave up, never surrendered". He actually ended up changing out the entire binocular body only reusing my objective lenses. Thanks to Kevin for his sticktoitiveness. 

• Astroman007 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics