•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New APM 150 binocular update

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#26 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

no thanks, I do not like the color

edj

For the money you get to pick whatever COLOR strikes your fancy. wink.gif

Stan

• StarDustBin likes this

#27 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

Even if I will never own one of these, I get a lot of enjoyment in anticipating them coming on market and then reading user/tester reports about them, then scheming ways to be able to purchase one. 

Reading the glowing reviews of what is almost sure to be a fine product (that I could never reasonably hope to obtain) would only depress me further.

All the fun that I could be having, all that I could be seeing...and here I am stuck with what I already have. frown.gif

Such is life.

#28 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Reading the glowing reviews of what is almost sure to be a fine product (that I could never reasonably hope to obtain) would only depress me further.

All the fun that I could be having, all that I could be seeing...and here I am stuck with what I already have. frown.gif

Such is life.

There's no end to aperture fever.....sometimes this works in reverse.

I bought my 70mms because they could do things that the 100mm couldn't; greater true fovs.

• Astroman007 likes this

#29 avid_dk

avid_dk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oregon, SW USA

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

There's no end to aperture fever.....sometimes this works in reverse.

I bought my 70mms because they could do things that the 100mm couldn't; greater true fovs.

Mr. Bill,

The question at hand is will you be purchasing the 150s?

#30 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

Such is life.

Martin, you're kidding right?

You have some excellent binos that are doing just fine wink.gif  And if you really want to get close to that large 6" bino perspective at a little bit higher power and beyond at a reasonable price, find a 8" SCT and a Binoviewer in the classifieds. SCT's and Binoviewers are quite awesome together. 

• Astroman007 and StarDustBin like this

#31 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

Mr. Bill,

The question at hand is will you be purchasing the 150s?

No.....I've had my 150s and understand the practicalities of that size; it's not a matter of money, just past experience.

I am seriously considering the 120s, though.

• edwincjones likes this

#32 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:08 PM

Martin, you're kidding right?

You have some excellent binos that are doing just fine wink.gif  And if you really want to get close to that large 6" bino perspective at a little bit higher power and beyond at a reasonable price, find a 8" SCT and a Binoviewer in the classifieds. SCT's and Binoviewers are quite awesome together. 

Actually I was not kidding at the time, but you are right, my binos are excellent in their own right and do serve me just fine. I already own a very good specimen of an early '90s Celestron C8 that I bought just this past spring here on CN with the intention of adding a sturdy manual mount, binoviewer, and eyepiece set once I can afford to do so.

I have such a wandering eye though when it comes to equipment that I often lose sight of the good things I already have. Thank you for putting me back on track. smile.gif

• Beg and StarDustBin like this

#33 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:51 AM

No.....I've had my 150s and understand the practicalities of that size; it's not a matter of money, just past experience.

me too

edj

#34 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

I know I am probably an oddball but I'd love to see 150mm f/5.6 well corrected RFT with 3" diagonal made with the APM 150mm binoculars objective lens.

I mean not binoculars but cyclops refractor.  

It would yield 3.5 degree TFOV at 28x using ES30-100.

I have 6 degree TFOV at 16.8x RFT now.   3.5 degree TFOV at 28x will be upgrade.

Tammy

• nuvax likes this

#35 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

I know I am probably an oddball but I'd love to see 150mm f/5.6 well corrected RFT with 3" diagonal made with the APM 150mm binoculars objective lens.

I mean not binoculars but cyclops refractor.  

It would yield 3.5 degree TFOV at 28x using ES30-100.

I have 6 degree TFOV at 16.8x RFT now.   3.5 degree TFOV at 28x will be upgrade.

Tammy

Tammy, I had Richard Day of Skylight Telescopes, London make me up a refractor specifically to use with the ES 30mm 3" eyepiece.  It gives 25x and 4 degree true field. It utilises an Istar 150/750 objective and is a superb milky way sweeper.  I think the idea of the APM powered RFT sounds very appealing. Markus is usually up for custom builds so it would be worth discussing with him.

• nuvax and Astroman007 like this

#36 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:16 PM

I'm not totally sure, but I think Markus considered the idea of selling the 120mm ED lens in cell. However he dropped the idea because the lens is matched with the prism assembly to provide maximum control of CA: without the prism, CA would be higher.

Maybe Markus could consider the idea of making an astronomy-capable spotting scope (a real rarity!) from its binoculars, so selling "half" of the 82mm for example. Without the need for collimation, nor the central assembly to hold toghether the two refractor and the IPD setting tool, price would be around 800€.

• starcanoe likes this

#37 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 31 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

However he dropped the idea because the lens is matched with the prism assembly to provide maximum control of CA: without the prism, CA would be higher.

Not only prism, a certain glass-path length can lower CA also, but why?

#38 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:14 AM

I thought Markus was going to have a completed 150 in September. Is it out there?

#39 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

First shipment arrives in early December. I don't think my 161MK2 and Nitrotech N12 will handle it. May have to wait for the 170 MK8 and Nitrotech N42 update. 

Psyched to see it though. Surely someone here will get one............cool.gif

#40 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 03 November 2018 - 05:23 PM

Somebody will get the APM 150 - ain’t gonna be me.  My 120’s are the end all; any further weight and portability will not be my thing. I am happy with the binos I have.  I am done.:yay:

• Mr. Bill, starzonesteve, Dougeo and 1 other like this

#41 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:47 AM

............ I am happy with the binos I have.  I am done.yay.gif

seems like I have heard that before  on CN    question.gif 

usually a few months before the poster does a review on a new pair

I have said it many times.

edj

• duck2k likes this

#42 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:52 PM

I would imagine most of the ones being delivered next month are presold. And the flow and demand will stay that way. I could be wrong, but they seem to me to be a high cost specialty item, unlike the others. Certainly not a spur of the moment purchase. A lot of commitment financially and otherwise for everybody.

I imagine Markus will get one out there for review and we will get a good look at it though. I look forward to that thread.

Edited by Beg, 04 November 2018 - 12:52 PM.

• duck2k and nuvax like this

#43 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:33 PM

Here's a thought before investing in expensive new optical equipment for astronomy (like the APM 150 APOs)......

(Number of very good to excellent observing nights/ year) x (Hours observing / night )

Divided by......Number of nights / year to take advantage 

weighed against......

(Number of years left with vision good enough to appreciate Alpha equipment.)

Just saying.....imawake.gif  

Edited by Mr. Bill, 04 November 2018 - 03:50 PM.

• SandyHouTex, JMKarian, duck2k and 1 other like this

#44 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

Here's a thought before investing in expensive new optical equipment for astronomy (like the APM 150 APOs)......

(Number of very good to excellent observing nights/ year) x (Hours observing / night ) x (Number of nights / year to take advantage) 

divided by.......

Just saying.....imawake.gif  

Based on the rewarding views through my Lunt 100 APO's, the views through the 150 APM's should be priceless, even for a few dozen good nights.  The relatively few good viewing nights left for me, compounds the value of each good viewing night through such an instrument.  Then, when I can no longer use it, the resale value back to me or my heirs should take some of the hurt away.  Anyway, in the final analysis, I don't know how many years I will have left to view, so why not just take the plunge?

For me, this sort of a decision will never "pencil out" to be a good one economically, but there are other factors and considerations. bigshock.gif

• Goodchild and starzonesteve like this

#45 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:36 PM

(Number of very good to excellent observing nights/ year) x (Hours observing / night ) x (Number of nights / year to take advantage) 

weighed against......

Hmm ... trying to figure out the formula that you are describing ... did I get this right ?

F92FE25D-E33A-45B4-9D10-23597C186649.png

P.S. I am a lawyer ...

Edited by Pinac, 04 November 2018 - 03:37 PM.

• duck2k and StarDustBin like this

#46 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:02 PM

You caught me....check my revision.

wink.gif

• duck2k likes this

#47 StarDustBin

StarDustBin

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lisbon

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

"P.S. I am a lawyer ..." That was a funny post. lol.gif

Price divided by the number of total hours (price/hours of use) might be a good start calculation to establish hourly rate and amortization period.

Example 1:

I have read 7500$ for those APM binoculars and I will establish 1$ per hour as a reasonable cost for observation. One will need to use those binoculars 7500 hours to consider them to be paid, roughly 20 years at 1 hour per day/night of use.

Example 2:

Using the same basics from above, if you use it 2 hours per day/night, this will come as 3750 sessions of 2 hours each, wich comes to slightly more than 10 years to effectively amortize the original purchase price.

Example 3:

The example 2 above comes with a monthly usage of 60 hours. Eventually, you may not be able to use the binoculars every night. Let us say you only use them 20 hours a month. In this latter case, you have to triple the amortization time, from 10 to 30 years.

From the original value you might subtract the value you think they might be worth in the near future, if reselled. This is not easy to establish, (because one will never know when he will sell it, neither the condition it will be, neither the commercial value it might have in the future), but a minimum value can be established. I would say 2000$ will be the minimum price for it. So, you may subtract 2000$ from the initial 7500$ and do the calculation again.

Hourly rate is always a good way of having the notion of the pratical cost of some equipment acquisition and the amortization in time.

Edited by StarDustBin, 04 November 2018 - 04:39 PM.

• JMKarian and Pinac like this

#48 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

OTOH.....to some people money has low value in decision making; we have a few of those on this forum....wish I was one of those.

grin.gif

• mogur, duck2k and StarDustBin like this

#49 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:57 PM

OTOH.....to some people money has low value in decision making; we have a few of those on this forum....wish I was one of those.grin.gif

You moneyeyes.gif  sure had me fooled all these years.

• Beg, EverlastingSky, SMark and 3 others like this

#50 starzonesteve

starzonesteve

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:58 PM

I'm kind of with oldmanrick on this one. I appreciate all of the formulaic ways of measuring out cost and value but in the end there is an undefinable X factor that will vary by two wholly individual metrics: 1) the value one places on a great immersive binocular view and 2) the importance of placing the dollars to acquire such an instrument elsewhere.

• oldmanrick likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics