•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrometrica giving me error on data reduction.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steve girard

steve girard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ardmore, OK

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

Hi everyone
I have been playing with Astrometrica for a couple of weeks.  I have had no problems getting the program to do a data reduction.  It has also found my objects without issues until tonight.  I went out to the observatory and took a 5 minute shot as I have been doing so far.  Once I get on the area of sky I have targeted I center on a star and sync the SkyX Pro to that star.  That way I can go back to the same field later.  Tonight after I loaded the images and clicked OK on the date and time box I clicked on the Astrometry icon and clicked OK on the coordinates box it acts like it going to work but then pops up the following, “error: No reference star records read. Data reduction aborted.” I reloaded the program several times but nothing seemed to work.  I am so new to this program I don’t know if I have changed something by accident or what. I also tried other images I have taken that have worked earlier this week.  I even tried the tutorial images and they would give the same error.  Can anyone give me some ideas what I have done or not done that made it quit working as it has been doing?
Thanks
Steve

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:43 PM

Astrometrica uses the VizieR Service for Astronomical Catalogues (CDS, Strasbourg, France) online to download the appropriate star catalog positions for data reductions. Currently, it looks like this service is down so there will be no reference star records read. Try again at a latter time to make a connection. Better yet, download a complete star catalog onto your hard drive to avoid going online to access one.

#3 steve girard

steve girard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ardmore, OK

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for responding

I was thinking that may be the problem. Thank you and I will try again later

Steve

#4 AsmCoder8088

AsmCoder8088

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:21 AM

If you're still having issues you can try the "ADAC, Tokyo, Japan" server under the Internet settings tab.  It worked for me.

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

If you're still having issues you can try the "ADAC, Tokyo, Japan" server under the Internet settings tab.  It worked for me.

The default server for VizieR still doesn't seem to be working properly. I was only able to download star data from the URAT-1 catalog. Switching to the CADC, Canada sever is working correctly, for me.

#6 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

Vizier is supposed to be back up now. There's a minor planet center yahoo group that was all over this.  Are you using the Gaia catalog? That is the preferred astrometry catalog as I understand it. It's too big to make a local copy of, but I have a local copy of UCAC4 which I can use with no interwebs. Gaia was added to the options I think in 2017 so if your version doesn't have this in it, you should update. There is also a new XML-based format for astrometry called ADES I think which will eventually replace the 80 line text / e-mail format for MPC and the new version of Astrometrica I think supports this.

#7 stevear

stevear

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

Hi All,

This problem has just started for me using Gaia DR2 data download. Everything worked fine until a week ago and now all I get is

Error: No star reference records read, Data reduction aborted. It starts to download the data then stalls after a few seconds, it looks like reading the data download is being interrupted before the data download can be completed.

Has anyone else got this problem and is there a fix or is this the DR2 website.

Thanks

Steve

#8 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

I would try using a different site under the Vizier Server in Program Settings - Internet. I've seen strange issues at times and changing to another server can fix it.

Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics