•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari Pro and Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi support

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#101 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:54 PM

I have used Luminos for 3 nights now controlling the AZ-GTi mount, it's working well, very easy to use.

For my use I have found only one thing that I don't like as well as SkySafari on my other mounts, and maybe I am just not using it correctly.

If I give a slew command in Luminos and if the goto is a little off after re centering the object if I hit the sync/align button in the Luminos it syncs the mount to the view direction where it thinks it's pointing, not the goto object selected.

If I initiate a slew from the Synscan app and recenter/ hit align tab in Synscan, then go back to Luminos app there is a additional choice to sync Luminos with goto object or to sync to the view.

I wish I could always have the choice to sync to the goto object, not the view, and not having to go back and forth between the 2 apps.

Anybody have a better way to sync the mount to the goto object?

UPDATE:

I sent an email to the developer yesterday about this and got a reply late last night that it would be fixed!

Now that is some great customer service, and on a Sunday no less!

Edited by Hilbily, 06 April 2020 - 09:47 AM.

• mitu0715 likes this

#102 ordep

ordep

Vendor Simulation Curriculum

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:57 PM

Hi, just a quick update.  We reached out to SkyWatcher and now have a SynScan Wi-Fi solution for the iOS version of SkySafari - we just began beta testing on our support forums. Early reports are good. If all goes well, this feature will be released in an upcoming update due out very soon. 

SynScan Wi-Fi support won't be available for Android until July (or later) because we are waiting for the Android library from SkyWatcher. 

Thank you for your patience. Pedro

• Tim C, eros312, Sergey Stern and 3 others like this

#103 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:29 PM

alright! Great news.  I presume you would still need to use the Synscan app but then you could control the mount via Sky Safari after alignment?

Hi, just a quick update.  We reached out to SkyWatcher and now have a SynScan Wi-Fi solution for the iOS version of SkySafari - we just began beta testing on our support forums. Early reports are good. If all goes well, this feature will be released in an upcoming update due out very soon. 

SynScan Wi-Fi support won't be available for Android until July (or later) because we are waiting for the Android library from SkyWatcher. 

#104 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

alright! Great news.  I presume you would still need to use the Synscan app but then you could control the mount via Sky Safari after alignment?

You can follow progress and discussion on implementation here https://tinyurl.com/v2owocy

#105 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

Woah! Whats 1 1/2 years between friends? ;) Fingers crossed!

Edited by Ain Soph Aur, 14 April 2020 - 07:33 PM.

• ordep likes this

#106 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:34 PM

Great to hear. Better late than never. : )

• ordep likes this

#107 Sergey Stern

Sergey Stern

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:38 PM

Great news !!!

• ordep likes this

#108 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:49 PM

Either this works, or I am switching to Luminos putting up the Skyfi in classifieds!  fingers crossed

#109 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

We’ve decided that our SynScan WiFi code for iOS is not quite ready for the general public and it will not be included in our pending update this week.  You can follow along on our beta page.  We hope to have it in there in a few weeks, after our developers receive another mount from SkyWatcher for testing. We want to iron out a couple of kinks and roll this out properly.  It will happen, I know it has been a long wait but we're almost at the finish line.  This update will still include some of our other telescope enhancements, including Celestron Focuser support. Thought I'd keep you all updated with the latest.  Thanks. Pedro

• Tim C, eros312 and Bagwell like this

#110 Bagwell

Bagwell

Mariner 2

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the update Pedro. 

• ordep likes this

#111 ROursamajor

ROursamajor

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Braila, Romania

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:05 AM

I have two smartphones: a Huawei P10Lite (Android 8) and a PocophoneF1 (Android 10). I made absolutely same settings in my SkySafari6, but P10 didn't connect to the mount. OTOH, PocoF1 works like a charm. Can you suggest me what to do, or to change in settings (maybe of the phone) to make my P10 Lite to work?

#112 cengell

cengell

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

Just downloaded Luminos for IOS, and for $22 maybe a bit overpriced but it does work with my Skywatcher GTi as waiting for SkySafari 6 Plus to support a mount from the last 1.5-2 years as this mount GTI has been out for years, I guess SkySafari did not want to support or did not have the help supporting, really too bad as very nice mount and with SkySafari a great combo!  

I expect more delays from SkySafari so maybe end of the year, hope not but at least we do have a IOS program that works!

Thank

Christopher

• Hilbily likes this

#113 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:00 PM

Just downloaded Luminos for IOS, and for $22 maybe a bit overpriced but it does work with my Skywatcher GTi as waiting for SkySafari 6 Plus to support a mount from the last 1.5-2 years as this mount GTI has been out for years, I guess SkySafari did not want to support or did not have the help supporting, really too bad as very nice mount and with SkySafari a great combo!  

I expect more delays from SkySafari so maybe end of the year, hope not but at least we do have a IOS program that works!

Thank

Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Support for SynScan is coming.  We were hoping to release it in the 6.7 update last week but there were a couple of issues that required access to a SkyWatcher mount to resolve.  Thanks.  Pedro

#114 Guedovsky

Guedovsky

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Cascais, Portugal

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

Hi Christopher,

Support for SynScan is coming.  We were hoping to release it in the 6.7 update last week but there were a couple of issues that required access to a SkyWatcher mount to resolve.  Thanks.  Pedro

So Pedro when you say is coming can you give us a Timeline? I have Sky Safari Pro and am ready to wait a bit and not purchase Luminos...

#115 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:17 PM

So Pedro when you say is coming can you give us a Timeline? I have Sky Safari Pro and am ready to wait a bit and not purchase Luminos...

Hi, we are still waiting for the SkyWatcher mount to arrive - SkyWatcher hasn't shipped it yet (we just bugged Frank about it today again)- we submitted the request in early April.  The Synscan feature was not included because the developer working on it was unable to debug without a working mount (the sim wasn't enough).  Once we have the mount, it should only take a day or two to debug and then a few more days to release the update.  We're frustrated too that we didn't release it in 6.7.   Pedro

#116 cengell

cengell

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:28 PM

Thanks Pedro, but my feeling is if (Simulation Curriculum) Sky Safari REALLY wanted this to be working, you could have purchased the mount GTi that costs $379, then upset your paying customers!

Just makes me more disappointed. Maybe this is just me.

But still looking forward getting Sky Safari 6 Plus working as I still like it over Luminos!

Thanks

Christopher

• Hilbily likes this

#117 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Pedro, but my feeling is if (Simulation Curriculum) Sky Safari REALLY wanted this to be working, you could have purchased the mount GTi that costs $379, then upset your paying customers!

Just makes me more disappointed. Maybe this is just me.

But still looking forward getting Sky Safari 6 Plus working as I still like it over Luminos!

Thanks

Christopher

Hi Christopher, I understand.  It's not a $ issue, we build partnerships with manufacturers to ensure a good implementation of their hardware.  We're pushing hard to get it done and in SkySafari as soon as possible.  I'm only trying to be as honest and upfront as I can.  Pedro

• Tim C, eros312 and Bagwell like this

#118 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

Pedro when you get this working will there be an update for SS5 so it will work with Synscan? 

#119 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:22 AM

I'd like to make some notes here as a big picture discussions...

The classic Synscan was for EQ mount only and the system design was its EQ mount's internal intelligent motor controller has enough built-in smarts such that it's more or less like a (from handbox or skymap app point of view) give-command N' forget (shoot-n-forget) design.  I.e., the mount's intelligent controller can do tracking by itself.  Handbox gave it the GOTO coordinate command and the mount will go there then immediately resumes tracking all by itself.  Only minimum housekeeping is required.  The skymap app can even go to sleep and come back later and nothing gets affected.

This arrangement is no longer held true when AltAz version of the Synscan mount got introduced.  In such case, the handbox will need to do a lot of calculation and also actively participate in tracking (tell the mount in tiny amount of GOTO.)   This is also the case for smartphone app "Synscan Pro" which has to do a lot of work and cannot go sleeping or be put into background process.   It's more or less a virtual handbox.  <-- this is the same reason EQMOD does not support AltAz mode of Synscan mount

To support Synscan Altaz (such as AZ-GTi) the Skymap app running in the smartphone has to talk to "Synscan Pro" app also running in the smartphone.  Latter has to be configured to be always running in foreground and cannot go sleep.

#120 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

Pedro when you get this working will there be an update for SS5 so it will work with Synscan? 

Hi, the update will be for SS6.  Pedro

#121 cengell

cengell

Vostok 1

• ****-

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:53 PM

OK GREAT news, the Beta update is out and now I have it working! Looking forward in more testing..

Christopher

#122 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

OK GREAT news, the Beta update is out and now I have it working! Looking forward in more testing..

Christopher

We got the mount last week from SkyWatcher and were able to apply some fixes.  We still have a few things to figure out but if the results from our beta testers is positive in the next few days - it will finally make it into release ;) You can follow the discussion in our beta forum. Pedro

• Brian Musgrave, Tim C and Bagwell like this

#123 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:48 AM

Hi,

We just released update 6.7.2 for iOS earlier today.  It now includes support for SynScan Wi-Fi.  Thank you for your patience.  Pedro

• Tim C, Ron359, tkottary and 2 others like this

#124 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Pedro - just downloaded it and looking forward to trying it out. I was surprised that the new support for synscan wasn’t mentioned in the description of the update but as long as it’s in there, that’s all that matters.

Tim

#125 ordep

ordep

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Pedro - just downloaded it and looking forward to trying it out. I was surprised that the new support for synscan wasn’t mentioned in the description of the update but as long as it’s in there, that’s all that matters.

Tim

By the time we noticed that we didn't mention SynScan in the release notes, it was too late.  It was one of the most important features! foreheadslap.gif

• Brian Musgrave likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics