•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari Pro and Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi support

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#151 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

The gotos have been pretty accurate for me - within a few arcminutes even with my C6. The key is leveling and setting the right location and time.

• eros312 and Bagwell like this

#152 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:15 PM

The GoTo’s for mine have been great, and consistent.  Nothing better or worse than other mounts I’ve had.  

• cengell and eros312 like this

#153 asl547

asl547

Explorer 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

Can you provide clear instructions on how to connect directly to the mount via Skysafari. If I use the Syncscan option in the configure menu what IP and port do I need to use. I tired a few known combinations and nothing works. If I use the SyncscanLink option it connects but still needs the SyncScan app. I thought the update was going to allow the user to connect directly to the mount.

Would someone please reiterate how to do this (in EQ mode)?

#154 happycamperjohn

happycamperjohn

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:00 PM

The gotos have been pretty accurate for me - within a few arcminutes even with my C6. The key is leveling and setting the right location and time.

Yeah, i think it also depends on the sample you have - they are notoriously variable in quality... Although I'm glad you have a good one.

cheers

john

#155 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:54 PM

I noticed something odd last night, as I tested it the first time with my iPad: the positions in SynScan and SkySafari appeared to be slightly off.

I aligned the mount using SynScan 1.19.0 using the north-level 2-star method as usual. I used Polaris and Tarazed once, Polaris and Rasalhague another time.

Then connected with SkySafari Pro (6.7.2.4) with a scope of type SynScan Link.

Although the second alignment star was still in the crosshairs of the reticle piece and the mount was tracking well, the view in SkySafari showed the eyepiece view as being slightly off one from another. Still in the eyepiece circle, but not centered. Not only that, but initiating slewing from SkySafari landed me slightly off target as well. If I initiated the goto from SynScan (when the target was in its smaller catalogue), the mount ended up pointing closer to the target. 

I'll take some screenshots next time, but was curious if others saw this as well.

#156 jhbanister

jhbanister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North East Texas

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

Last Saturday I was able to try the new SkySafari interface, using my Ipad.  I aligned using the SynScan Pro north/ level alignment using Dubhe and Polaris.  Remaining in SynScan, I did goto’s to several objects with good success.  I then did a goto to Altair, which was nicely centered.

I then went to SkySafari and connected to the scope.  The crosshairs were a few degrees off from Altair.  I then moved the crosshairs and did a go to.   The scoped moved a few degrees which, predictably, put me a few degrees away from Altair.  Then did goto’s to three or four of my previously used objects and none of them worked.

Not a good experience.  Thoughts?

• Edward Swaim likes this

#157 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 23 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

any updates on SS and Synscan working/not working?

SB

#158 gdmercad

gdmercad

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

any updates on SS and Synscan working/not working?

SB

not working on my Sky Watcher az-eq6 Pro using the Skyfi3, Sky Safari6 Pro, and iPad Pro. Connection drops off after 30 seconds. Works on my wife's iPad mini. Waiting for a response from Simulation Cir.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#159 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

10/21/20........any updates or news on SS and Synscan working/not working?   Has Simulation Cir. done anything?

SB

#160 rhartigan

rhartigan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Pontiac, MI

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

Hey all, can you post a bit more information about your systems, (iOS version/device/SkySafari version), and possibly some screen shots showing the issues that you are having with the SS/Synscan connection?

And if you wanted to start a thread on SimCur's support forum, that would be extremely helpful - https://support.simu...Safari-iOS-Apps.

Thanks

Ros

#161 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Vostok 1

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:06 AM

10/21/20........any updates or news on SS and Synscan working/not working?   Has Simulation Cir. done anything?

SB

I've successfully resolved my connection problems SkySafari Pro to control the AZ GTi and now understand how the 3rd party software protocols work.  They are actually pretty clever (I think).   Don't rely on the AZ GTi manual, rather use the SynScan App manual.  And run SynScan and SkySafari on the same device (I have an Android Samsung S10+ phone)

What the manual tells me is that SynScan has to be the first app to grab the WiFi address of the AZ GTi (192.168.4.1 on port 11880) and any other device tethers to Synscan (with another IP address) communicating on a separate channel (port 11882).   The two can run on the same device, and the IP address on SkySafari has to be 127.0.0.1 (standard home).  I can get it to work on a 192.168.4.x IP address, but it drops all the time; this is because the mount has to support two separate IP address.   Don't do this.   127.0.0.1 is flawless, because it talks to SynScan, and asks it to pass all of the important information.

When something doesn't work in SkySafari, switch back to the SynScan app, because that will be the source of your problem (maybe it's waiting to do its own command, or has lost communication)

Here is the relevant part of the SynScan manual

To let a third party app that supports SynScanLink control mount:

1. Perform mount alignment in SynScan App.
2. On the same device, switch to the third party app. Choose “SynScanLink” in the connection setting,
then connect.

Supported apps:

• Luminos, iOS, Provided by Wobbleworks LLC
• Skysafari 6 Plus/Pro, iOS, Privided by Simulation Curriculum Corp.

With tethering, the third party app and SynScan App run at the same time, and maintain communication
between themselves using TCP/UDP connections. The two apps can run on different devices, or they can
run on the same device, with an exception on iOS where they can't run on the same device.

Enter SynScan App’s IP address into the third party app (SkySafari Pro):

• If SynScan App and third party app run on the same device, enter 127.0.0.1

• If SynScan App and third party app run on different devices, make sure both devices are in the
same network, then enter the IP of the device running SynScan App. (Caution: It is not the IP
address of the SynScan Wi-Fi adapter. It is not 192.168.4.1).

• Some software may auto-detect IP

Additional parameters depend on the type of protocol used:

• By SynScan Communication Protocol
– Supported apps
• Sky Safari 5 Plus/Pro, Android and iOS, Provided by Simulation Curriculum Corp.
• StarSeek 5, Android and iOS, Provided by Optronic Technologies, Inc.
• Stellarium Mobile Plus, Android and iOS, Provided by Noctua Software Ltd.

– Telescope mount: Sky-Watcher/Orion SynScan

– Connection type: TCP
– UDP Port: 11882 (Do not use port 11880 or 11881)

• RNSpeed, Edward Swaim, spongebob@55 and 2 others like this

#162 Roger Corbett

Roger Corbett

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:26 PM

Chris, fantastic!  Clear and helpful advice.

• Chris Westland likes this

#163 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:05 PM

I've successfully resolved my connection problems SkySafari Pro to control the AZ GTi and now understand how the 3rd party software protocols work.  They are actually pretty clever (I think).   Don't rely on the AZ GTi manual, rather use the SynScan App manual.  And run SynScan and SkySafari on the same device (I have an Android Samsung S10+ phone)

What the manual tells me is that SynScan has to be the first app to grab the WiFi address of the AZ GTi (192.168.4.1 on port 11880) and any other device tethers to Synscan (with another IP address) communicating on a separate channel (port 11882).   The two can run on the same device, and the IP address on SkySafari has to be 127.0.0.1 (standard home).  I can get it to work on a 192.168.4.x IP address, but it drops all the time; this is because the mount has to support two separate IP address.   Don't do this.   127.0.0.1 is flawless, because it talks to SynScan, and asks it to pass all of the important information.

When something doesn't work in SkySafari, switch back to the SynScan app, because that will be the source of your problem (maybe it's waiting to do its own command, or has lost communication)

Here is the relevant part of the SynScan manual

To let a third party app that supports SynScanLink control mount:

1. Perform mount alignment in SynScan App.
2. On the same device, switch to the third party app. Choose “SynScanLink” in the connection setting,
then connect.

Supported apps:

• Luminos, iOS, Provided by Wobbleworks LLC
• Skysafari 6 Plus/Pro, iOS, Privided by Simulation Curriculum Corp.

With tethering, the third party app and SynScan App run at the same time, and maintain communication
between themselves using TCP/UDP connections. The two apps can run on different devices, or they can
run on the same device, with an exception on iOS where they can't run on the same device.

Enter SynScan App’s IP address into the third party app (SkySafari Pro):

• If SynScan App and third party app run on the same device, enter 127.0.0.1

• If SynScan App and third party app run on different devices, make sure both devices are in the
same network, then enter the IP of the device running SynScan App. (Caution: It is not the IP
address of the SynScan Wi-Fi adapter. It is not 192.168.4.1).

• Some software may auto-detect IP

Additional parameters depend on the type of protocol used:

• By SynScan Communication Protocol
– Supported apps
• Sky Safari 5 Plus/Pro, Android and iOS, Provided by Simulation Curriculum Corp.
• StarSeek 5, Android and iOS, Provided by Optronic Technologies, Inc.
• Stellarium Mobile Plus, Android and iOS, Provided by Noctua Software Ltd.

– Telescope mount: Sky-Watcher/Orion SynScan

– Connection type: TCP
– UDP Port: 11882 (Do not use port 11880 or 11881)

Works great and easy to do.  I just hooked it all up and it worked without changing any port numbers or anything else!   Thanks so much!

SB

• markbc likes this

#164 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Vostok 1

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:47 PM

I'm glad this is helpful.  One more thing that seems to pop up (it did with me) is that in Settings-ConnectSettings the type of interface should be "Network" ... it sometimes wants to reset to "Serial" and you are left wondering why the software never connects to the mount.  Just a  "HEADS UP" waytogo.gif

#165 Chris Westland

Chris Westland

Vostok 1

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:51 PM

One more thing on the use of Sky Safari.  I'm in the process of installing the GoTo hardware for my HO 14" f/4.6, and Tong has told me that Sky Safari is giving slightly but consistently incorrect pointing information with ASCOM platforms.  I've heard similar issues in this thread with the AZ-GTi mount, and wonder if there isn't a bug that Sky Safari's developers need to track down.  

#166 mhstoker

mhstoker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:38 AM

Slightly incorrect goto or coordinates may be the result of different epochs in the coordinates used. The mount needs the current one (jnow) while star atlases and others like telecopius use the 2000 reference (j2000)..... They are slightly different. To convert from one to the other you can use tools like this one:

http://www.robertmar...oordinates.html

• Chris Westland likes this

#167 JerryTN

JerryTN

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 January 2021 - 01:14 AM

Like many I have been trying to find an easy way to connect SkySafari with my AZ-GTI mount and not have the need to use two devices. Well this evening I found the answer to having both SKySafari 6 Pro and SysScan Pro running on only one Android Tablet without lost of connection. This is using a Samsung Table so not sure if this method works for every android device.  Seems the issue has been a connection can be made but then apparently when the android phone or tablet decides to lock SysScan application then connection is lost and why the need for two devices since SysScan would be running in the background.  The solution at least for me was to use the option where you can do split screen and have both application running at the same time.  You can resize to where SkySafari is 2/3 of the screen and SysScan only takes up 1/3 where you will still have easy access to and viewing of the apps.  I setup SysScan to connect to the mount using the normal IP address and then setup SkySafari to the IP address which is shown when SysScan does it connection. I have even tried loading up both application at the same time then drop them out of site and open up a third application call Stelliarium which also does control of telescope mounts.  Once that was done I brought back up SkySafari along with Stelliarium leaving SysScan in the background and still no issues along with both of those applications being able to control the mount.  Of course the three apps at once was pushing the issue and for only a moment I did loose connection but was able to quickly bring SysScan back to the front and once click connect there was no more issue with it again running in the background.  Now I have only tested this for one evening viewing and not prolong testing so not sure if it will be perfect for everyone but so far this method has seem to work the best for me.  Now my cell phone can still be my phone and my tablet can do all the controlling.  I haven't tried this with any of my other mounts or other apps as of yet. I am using a Samsung Tablet for the testing and most likely this would also work on a phone with also has the split screen feature.  Not sure about IOS as do not have that device to test with.

Edited by JerryTN, 18 January 2021 - 01:21 AM.

• markbc likes this

#168 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:21 AM

I noticed something odd last night, as I tested it the first time with my iPad: the positions in SynScan and SkySafari appeared to be slightly off.

I aligned the mount using SynScan 1.19.0 using the north-level 2-star method as usual. I used Polaris and Tarazed once, Polaris and Rasalhague another time.

Then connected with SkySafari Pro (6.7.2.4) with a scope of type SynScan Link.

Although the second alignment star was still in the crosshairs of the reticle piece and the mount was tracking well, the view in SkySafari showed the eyepiece view as being slightly off one from another. Still in the eyepiece circle, but not centered. Not only that, but initiating slewing from SkySafari landed me slightly off target as well. If I initiated the goto from SynScan (when the target was in its smaller catalogue), the mount ended up pointing closer to the target. 

I'll take some screenshots next time, but was curious if others saw this as well.

Did you ever solve this. I have same problem with az gti in AZ mode firmware 3.26, iOS 14.4 and skywatcher pro app 1.19.

#169 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:23 PM

No. I switched to a different mount for visual observations.

#170 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:07 PM

Did you ever solve this. I have same problem with az gti in AZ mode firmware 3.26, iOS 14.4 and skywatcher pro app 1.19.

Thanks I can’t seem to get an answer to this problem anywhere. A number of people have reported it but no solutions. Someone did mention different epochs on the star databases used by the mount and the apps, but that just went straight over my head.

#171 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:15 AM

Are there any Luminos reviews out there? I would like to try it.

I have been using Skysafari for years (from version 3 or maybe earlier versions), have used on Andriod, IOS, Mac OS. Have upgraded many versions of SkySafari. The Mac OS and Andriod versions are let down. The Mac OS version of SkySafari was a waste of money, I would never ever buy it again. The free ware planetarium versions are much complete package then SkySafari. The Andriod version didn't run smoothly for years, tried different versions. The version that runs smoothly is on IOS. 

Competition is good for the consumers. I wish there would be more of it.

I use Luminos as it’s not possible to align SkySafari pro. The align button just doesn’t work. However, in Luminos it does and there are a number of alignment options. SkySafari only good as a stand alone app. The frustration of the “command failure” error in SS alignment has now gone.

#172 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:33 AM

alright! Great news.  I presume you would still need to use the Synscan app but then you could control the mount via Sky Safari after alignment?

Not unless you want this error message all the time. SS sync is rubbish and I cannot get it to work with the az gti and synscan app. I’m in iOS but Luminos works so no excuse. If there is anyone put there who gets accurate goto’s with SS app in iOS and able to sync accurately I’d be interested to hear how.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6C3768DA-A59F-462B-91B6-C233AF92D3A3.jpeg

#173 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:05 AM

Not unless you want this error message all the time. SS sync is rubbish and I cannot get it to work with the az gti and synscan app. I’m in iOS but Luminos works so no excuse. If there is anyone put there who gets accurate goto’s with SS app in iOS and able to sync accurately I’d be interested to hear how.

I went out a few nights ago, after having this problem at a remote site a few months ago with my Orion Alt/Az Pro mount, synscan and SS+.   I had forgotten about it b/c I just don't just that mount/11" scope much.  

The first night I went out and everything connected well until I noticed that the cross hairs on SS+, once connected, was not on the star I had last aligned to in Synscan app.    Of course the go to's were no where near the target.   I tried to 'align' and got the same Command Failure as above in Albut's post.  

The next night, I did a few alignments, and found that once I saw the cross hairs off in SS+, I tapped 'disconnect' and then 'conect' and the cross hairs moved to the correct last alignment star in Synscan.  BUT, the  go to's were still way off when using SS+

So just to back check the mount and Synscan, I hooked up the mount to the hand controller.  Go to's were super accurate.  Then I connected the wifi dongle and used the synscan app, and they were as accurate.

So it seems to be some issue between the synscan wifi dongle and the SS+ app.

Any ideas?   The HC and just the synscan app is not ideal for me.   I love SS+ on my other two celestron alt/az mounts.

I'm using IOS 12.5.3 (its an old iphone, so it won't update to the latest, but I don't think that has anything to do with it)

Bob

Edited by spongebob@55, 16 May 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#174 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:39 PM

Older model iphone and old version of iOS does not support concurrent multitasking.

In this use case, SS Pro and Synscan Pro app.

I.e., wrong environment for that challanging task at hand.  

#175 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2021 - 02:02 AM

Older model iphone and old version of iOS does not support concurrent multitasking.

In this use case, SS Pro and Synscan Pro app.

I.e., wrong environment for that challanging task at hand.  

It’s the Sky Safari and synscan pro app that do not seem to support multi tasking in IOS. Check Settings/general/background app refresh on latest iOS and you’ll see they don’t appear. If you use 2 iOS devices the problem does not exist.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics