•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari Pro and Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi support

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#176 rhartigan

rhartigan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Pontiac, MI

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:59 AM

Hello everybody,

We recently posted update 6.8.4 for SkySafari Plus and Pro that resolves an issue with SynScan Wifi where SkySafari was not reporting the correct position of the scope. Let us know if that resolves some of the issues!

Ros

#177 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

Hello everybody,

We recently posted update 6.8.4 for SkySafari Plus and Pro that resolves an issue with SynScan Wifi where SkySafari was not reporting the correct position of the scope. Let us know if that resolves some of the issues!

Ros

Thanks Ros,

I have ver 6.8.4.1 on my iphone 6 running 12.5.3  (latest for iphone 6).   I'll report as soon as I get out, maybe even tonight.....Lunar X tonight.

Edit:  I just did a fake alignment.  Once connected to SS+, the cross hairs were off the target.  Then as before, I 'disconnect' ed, then 'connect' ed again, and the cross hairs went right on to the target.   But this is what it did a few nights ago and when actually observing, the accuracy was very poor and I gave up.   See post # 173

I don't know if this matters or not,  but my notes on the connection procedure says that when you 'connect' to SS+, you'll see 'loading connection data'.....that still happens but there's no 'accept' and 'ok' to tap like there was many months ago.   It seems like it just does, but perhaps there's something there that might mean something to this connection accuracy problem or maybe not.

I will still go out tonight (5/18/21)  try it and report.

Bob

Edited by spongebob@55, 18 May 2021 - 01:07 PM.

• rhartigan likes this

#178 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:32 PM

See post #177 above.........

I went out last night (5/19) using my Orion Alt/Az Pro with a 127 Mak 1500 f/l  mounted on it.

Connected Synscan to SS+ and noticed that while even on my last alignment star, Polaris, SS+ showed it off target.  I disconnected in SS+ and then reconnected in SS+ and then the cross hairs went right on top of Polaris.  I then slewed to a few targets.  Most were not in the EP at all and quite far away when checking bright stars in my RDF.  I would then center the star in my scope, do a 'align to X' and most of the time it would work.  Only once did I get the dreaded warning about being too far away to align.  Then I would try another target and do it all over again.  After doing this about 4 times, I then went back to previous targets that I 'aligned to' and they would be in the EP, very centered.   But then picking a new target, they were mostly out of the EP, even though I had switched to a 24mm.  Basically, the go to was not of any value at all.

Then I quit using the Synscan-SS+ connection and used just the hand controller.   Perfect go to's.  I then check the synscan wi-fi dongle, and had perfect go-to's with it too. 

So it seems that once you connect the SS+ to the Synscan app, therein lies the problem.

Bob

#179 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:57 AM

See post #177 above.........

I went out last night (5/19) using my Orion Alt/Az Pro with a 127 Mak 1500 f/l  mounted on it.

Connected Synscan to SS+ and noticed that while even on my last alignment star, Polaris, SS+ showed it off target.  I disconnected in SS+ and then reconnected in SS+ and then the cross hairs went right on top of Polaris.  I then slewed to a few targets.  Most were not in the EP at all and quite far away when checking bright stars in my RDF.  I would then center the star in my scope, do a 'align to X' and most of the time it would work.  Only once did I get the dreaded warning about being too far away to align.  Then I would try another target and do it all over again.  After doing this about 4 times, I then went back to previous targets that I 'aligned to' and they would be in the EP, very centered.   But then picking a new target, they were mostly out of the EP, even though I had switched to a 24mm.  Basically, the go to was not of any value at all.

Then I quit using the Synscan-SS+ connection and used just the hand controller.   Perfect go to's.  I then check the synscan wi-fi dongle, and had perfect go-to's with it too. 

So it seems that once you connect the SS+ to the Synscan app, therein lies the problem.

Bob

Exactly what I have found when using SS+ on a single device. However, when using the 2 iOS device method it all works ok. That’s why I believe SS+ and SynscanP apps do not communicate in the background. If you check settings/general/background refresh, the SkysafariP app is not in the list. I have emailed SS+ team on a number of occasions re this but their support is one of the worse. I’m now using Luminos where I get better results. In Luminos I can at least do an alignment after the handover from SynscanP but in SS+ just get the dreaded failure to align message.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#180 ancleto

ancleto

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:26 PM

I'm using Synscan app pro 1.19.0 on iOS and the latest right-mount firmware (3.26) on my az-gte.  SkyWatcherSynScanLink is the interface type in Skysafari.

I finally found a method that consistently works.   It involves getting around an apparent bug in sky safari.

step 1:  Three star align using the Synscan app.   Using a reticle eyepiece, this is very effective and results in my targets landing in the eyepiece every time.

step 2: launch Sky Safari.   Connect to the scope.   Sky Safari's alignment will be off.

step 3: hit the disconnect button.

step 4: hit the connect button again.  the alignment in Sky Safari will now correct itself.   goto will be spot on.

Edited by ancleto, 25 May 2021 - 11:24 PM.

#181 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:27 PM

I'm using Synscan app pro 1.19.0 on iOS and the latest right-mount firmware (3.26) on my az-gte.  SkyWatcherSynScanLink is the interface type in Skysafari.

I finally found a method that consistently works.   It involves getting around an apparent bug in sky safari.

step 1:  Three star align using the Synscan app.   Using a reticle eyepiece, this is very effective and results in my targets landing in the eyepiece every time.

step 2: launch Sky Safari.   Connect to the scope.   Sky Safari's alignment will be off.

step 3: hit the disconnect button.

step 4: hit the connect button again.  the alignment in Sky Safari will now correct itself.   goto will be spot on.

Hi Ancieto,

Is this still working for you?  I've just seen this today.  I'll try it out.  Using the wifi module with my Orion Alt/Az pro with just the synscan app after aligning is very frustrating after being using SS+ with my Celestron mounts/wifi modules.

Regards

SB

#182 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

Posted 07 August 2021 - 12:52 PM

Hi Ancieto,

Is this still working for you?  I've just seen this today.  I'll try it out.  Using the wifi module with my Orion Alt/Az pro with just the synscan app after aligning is very frustrating after being using SS+ with my Celestron mounts/wifi modules.

Regards

SB

Well I tried it last night and it didn't work for me.  I've been trying various 'work arounds' and they just don't work for my Orion Pro AZ/EQ-G.   It just isn't accurate at all.  Back to the HC for me.

SB

#183 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2021 - 04:46 AM

Help Please. My set up is AZGTI with Televue TV-85 scope using software on iPad Synscan Pro and Sky Safari 6. Having levelled and 3 star aligned the scope via the synscan app I get excellent t goto’s. I open the Sky Safari app and connect scope via Synscan link, the handover takes place but the Safari app shows the scope position a few degrees out. I then select the object in Safari and select aligning and the pointer in Safari moves over the target. I now have telescope and Safari both pointing at the target. Now it I perform a goto with Safari the scope goes roughly to the area but is way off.  Further more, if I return to the synscan pro app I find the goto’s are no longer accurate. I didn’t think Safari had any control over the data stored in the synscan app. What’s going on?

#184 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 28 August 2021 - 05:52 AM

Check to make sure both the mount and SkySafari are using the same time & location.

#185 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2021 - 05:56 AM

Check to make sure both the mount and SkySafari are using the same time & location.

They are using the same time and location obtained from iPad. I also tried connection a d disconnecting as above but still off

#186 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 28 August 2021 - 12:04 PM

You might try posting on the SimCur forums.  Possibly they can help or someone else with the same mount can.

#187 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2021 - 12:31 PM

You might try posting on the SimCur forums.  Possibly they can help or someone else with the same mount can.

Thanks but I’ve tried there before and the support is really bad. Well the worse I’ve encountered. I was promised a response but it never came. Thanks anyway.

• spongebob@55 and KJL like this

#188 ChuckM

ChuckM

Lift Off

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:42 AM

Vostok1. I have the same setup as you and have tried every possible solution listed on this forum to get SkySafari to point accurately with the Az-Gti. The only thing that worked for me was going back to the original two IOS devices configuration. At one time, Luminos worked with only one IOS device, but now that has the same pointing issues as SkySafari. Don’t bother trying to get help from SkyWatcher. I get no response about this issue from them. 

• spongebob@55 likes this

#189 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:51 AM

Vostok1. I have the same setup as you and have tried every possible solution listed on this forum to get SkySafari to point accurately with the Az-Gti. The only thing that worked for me was going back to the original two IOS devices configuration. At one time, Luminos worked with only one IOS device, but now that has the same pointing issues as SkySafari. Don’t bother trying to get help from SkyWatcher. I get no response about this issue from them. 

Well thanks for that. I was beginning to think it was only me. Hopefully the people who charge so much for their software like Simulation Curriculum will start to give a little back in support and effort in getting their software to do as it states.

#190 ancleto

ancleto

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 29 August 2021 - 12:33 PM

Well I tried it last night and it didn't work for me.  I've been trying various 'work arounds' and they just don't work for my Orion Pro AZ/EQ-G.   It just isn't accurate at all.  Back to the HC for me.

SB

I'm sorry, I haven't been following the thread for a while.  I've found that my fix works "sometimes" but honestly the az-gte is so irritating that it sits turned off in my garage most of the time.  I haven't tested that much lately.

#191 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2021 - 01:05 PM

I should add that using az gti in AZ mode, I take time to ensure the mount is level. I then do a 3 star alignment using the skywatcher pro app and my iPad paying strict attention to the manual recommendations for choosing stars. I ensure the stars are central with a cross hair reticule. Using the skywatcher pro app to perform goto’s with my iPad, I’m impressed. Most targets fairly central wherever I point. It’s only when I try and use SkySafari Pro or Luminos it all goes to rats. Yet to try it in Eq mode.

• KJL likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics